Naval ships helping with ground attaks?

Guest Robert/1

Guest Robert/1

Will ships in Cm or will the just not be used.

I was just asking because of the fact that the naval ships usaly shelled the areas near the beaches to panic the Germans befor a landing.

[This message has been edited by Robert/1 (edited 05-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Robert/1 (edited 05-23-2000).]

14 Inchers eek.gif And I thought the arty in VOT was bad.

Joe

------------------

"The Irish are a fine, mad race ... all their wars are happy ... and all their songs are sad."

I can say that, I'm of Irish descent:) And if anyone knows the origin of that quote I'd be eternally in your debt.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Robert/1,

For a British Columbian, you shore dont no how 2 spel...

------------------

"When in doubt...shell."

Those big guns on the BB's are going to do more than just shell Germans near the beaches. Those suckers have a range of over 20 miles and were definitedly used at least 2-3 weeks after D-day if I'm remembering correctly.

Mikester out.

I'm very curious to see how CM will handle the awesome power of naval gunfire. The maps on the scenarios so far are kinda of small to support such huge firepower. Just the concussion alone would scramble your guts and pull all of the oxygen out of your lungs.

Flix

Guest rune

Well, on a single hit, I lost 2 full squads and badly mauled a HQ. Don't bunch troops if you suspect Naval 14" FOs.

Ouch

Rune

Guest Germanboy

According to Reynolds "Steel Inferno", the German commanders were desparate to get their troops out of the range of Allied gun-fire, because even when they managed to break through the MLR of the Allies, those break-throughs would be stopped by ships' and other arty. Unfortunately for them, a certain Mr. Hilter (now living in a B&B in the south of England) did not allow that.

armorbuff, CM2 is planned to be the Eastern Front. There are currently no plans for a Pacific version of CM, IIRC. This has been debated lots, maybe do a search if you are interested.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest Pham

Can't they truck in Japanese ships? I mean, how heavy can they be really, and it's not like Asia's big or anything.

Ohhh, or maybe they could dig a canal. That might be quicker.

Or they could fly them in. If the Axis can unsuccesfully supply the sixth army outside Stalingrad by air, they can sure as hell unsuccessfully reposition Japanese naval craft.

At any rate, I want to know if CM2 will model really heavy artillery. You punks want 16" guns, or your fancy lad 18" guns. I want Fat Man and/or Little Boy. Sure, it may throw the tactical balance off on the 1km x 1km maps, but I think it'll all work out fine in the end. Think of the time savings on multiplayer games.

In closing, we could all do well following OBG's lead and not only nitpick at the spelling and grammer of others, but hound them from thread to thread for no good reason at all.

*This has been a utterly pointless follow-up post to a valid original question. Except for the part about OBG and spelling issues. I meant that, but in a sarcastic/ironic kind of way. So I guess I didn't really *mean* it if you want to be really technical about it.*

Guest Babra

Sorry, Joe:

The wild men of Wales

Are the men that God made mad,

For all their wars are happy --

And all their songs are sad.

(from The Ballad of the White Horse -- Chesterton)

Thanks Babra, I appreciate the information. I heard that quote years ago on a TV show and it was atttibuted to the Irish. I always liked it but didn't know where it came from. It's better to be wrong and corrected than just wrong smile.gif

BTW, my wife is of Welsh descent ... I think that explains a lot rolleyes.gif

Joe