Books about tanks.....

Hello,

I've been more than satisfied with the "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GERMAN TANKS OF WORLD WAR II", and I'm now wondering if there is an allied counterpart.

I've seen a few books and I'd greatly appreciate any comments about them :

* "BRITISH AND AMERICAN TANKS OF WWII", by Chamberlain, Peter and Ellis

* "UNITED STATES TANKS OF WORLD WAR II" by Forty

* "BRITISH TANKS OF WORLD WAR 2" by Chamberlain, Peter, Terry and Gander

I you have any other it'll be welcome too ! smile.gif

Thanks in advance,

Magnus

I have United States Tanks of World War II in my hands here. It covers American tanks, and tank destroyers. No information on scout cars or halftracks. It does have TO&E's for armored divisions though!

Not very technical, but provides good production numbers, goes into the development, and has interesting anecdotal information of the tanks in action. Worth checking out from the library, but I wouldn't spend the money to get it from a used book store.

I ordered Chamberlain's American and British tanks book just from the author's name. I wish the thing was still in print, used books can be expensive.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest R Cunningham

I'd avoid the George Forty books. I've got a few that I got through the MBC and they really seem lightweight. If I'd ha the chance to flip through them I would've passed.

Chamberlain is pretty reliable. He's been involved with many projects.

I'd also look for th enames Doyle, Spielberger, and Jentz.

Thanks for the reply Escurlock and Cunningham smile.gif

Yes, it's a shame Chamberlain's book is out of print ;(

Sure I'll avoid Forty's book, but I still don't know any book which is available and who cover correctly either US or Commonwealth tank. As I'm a little short in money I don't want to buy 46 books biggrin.gif

So, if anyone has a good reference, it'll be welcome smile.gif

Regards,

Magnus

I have a book entitled "US Tracked Military Vehicles" by Crimson. It's probably out of print but you might be able to find it.

This book has at least 1 picture of damn near everything the US military has ever owned with tracks (tanks, halftracks, APCs, snowmobiles, cranes, etc) from the beginning of time until about 1992. There's also a lot of good statistical info on everything, such as armor thicknesses, weights, performance data, numbers produced, etc.

-Bullethead

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have a book entitled "US Tracked Military Vehicles" by Crimson. It's probably out of print but you might be able to find it.

This book has at least 1 picture of damn near everything the US military has ever owned with tracks (tanks, halftracks, APCs, snowmobiles, cranes, etc) from the beginning of time until about 1992. There's also a lot of good statistical info on everything, such as armor thicknesses, weights, performance data, numbers produced, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, Bullethead, you've turned into a mind reader. I poped into this thread to post a question about that book, you you already answered my question! It is still available. The local Borders has a copy, and I saw it on Barnes and Noble's website. At the store, the copy they have is shrinkwraped so I couldn't tell what it contained. Thanks!

BTW: CM will be one of the best technical sourses out there for WWII vehicles once it's released. Where else are you going to find in one source for so many countries accurate armor data for all armor surfaces including the angle of slope? If you've checked out the prices on armor referance material, you may conclude as I have that CM is a bargain on that basis alone.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest GriffinCheng

The people in WW2 newsgroup recommend this one on Sherman as extrancted from B&N

"Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank" by R. P. Hunnicutt

Format: Hardcover, 576pp.

ISBN: 0891410805

Publisher: Presidio P

Pub. Date: October 1994

It contains the accounts of the developments of Sherman tanks. Great read.

Griffin.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Fools never differ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no remembrance of the wise more than the fool for ever; seeing that which is now in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool. Eccl. 2:16 biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm