Actually it's a really valid question.Assuming the house just caught fire on turn one of a 30 turn scenario,in real life they could probably stay in the house

anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes,or longer,depending on the condition of the house.Most likely there are enemy troops close by,so they may tarry a bit whilst they discuss their options.They may also wait in hopes that the smoke the house is producing blows in the direction they wish.My guess is after 30 minutes,there skin would be about as red as your neck appears to be from your post,hahaha:^)[just kidding-I saw a chance for poking fun so I did:^)]

If the house really is burning good, the smoke inhalation alone would kill or disable most folks in it in a matter of minutes. I've seen one house in VoT catch fire after my bazooka team nailed it a number of times. The Germans in there bugged out pretty quick. Took them less than a minute if I recall and I had a number of units fairly close to the house.

Mikester out.

Guest Scott Clinton

> If the house really is burning good...

I always assumed that only houses that ARE burning "burning good" are represented as "Burning". I don't think smaller fires within a house would be represented because they would not have a direct effect on the game mechanics (other than perhaps spread to a larger fire later).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Scott,

The size of the fire is not my point. The point is exactly what you stated, if it is burning well enough that it is shown as such in the game, then it's high time for whoever is in there to get the h*** out of Dodge.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 05-24-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Yep, I know.

I was just adding my 2 cents (affirmation) to your previous post. smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I hope Echo, a pro fireman, jumps in here cuz I'm a rural volunteer and don't deal with structure fires near as much as grass fires and wrecks smile.gif. However...

Dick Reece said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>in real life they could probably stay in the house anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes,or longer,depending on the condition of the house<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOTE: there are a gazillion variables in fire spread and behavior in structures. Don't take the following as total gospel. Fires can spread much faster or slower and have other even more dangerous effects than I describe here. So if you're in a burning building, get the Hell out ASAP and call the fire department.

Anyway, I have to disagree with the above quote. House fires progress very quickly because the walls and ceiling trap the heat inside. This heat build-up soon ignites EVERYTHING in the room where the fire started, totally and all at once, in a sort of semi-explosion called flashover. There is no set time limit on this process but 4-5 minutes is about the upper limit for your average room.

If you are in a room that flashes, you are dead, even wearing a fireman's gear. If you don't have such gear, you will be forced out of that room much sooner than this due to the intense heat build-up and smoke, if you aren't overcome first.

By the time the 1st room flashes, the adjacent rooms are usually already burning in places from rollover flame reaching into them, plus heat. Because they have not only their own heat but that from the fully involved room adjacent, they usually flash quicker than the original room. So it doesn't take long at all for the whole of a small house to become totally engulfed in flame. Shortly thereafter, if not before, the roof and/or walls start to collapse.

This of course is just the most dramatic part. Long before this happens, the house is totally untennable to those not wearing fireman gear, due to smoke and heat. Even with only 1 room involved, the smoke will quickly spread all through the structure. Visibility drops quite literally to zero (the internal flames are just an orange glow in a sea of total black, even from across the same room) and of course it becomes impossible to breathe without an air tank.

So the bottom line is, I have no problem at all with troops in CM instantly evactuating burning houses. That pretty much is what they'd have to do based on the size of these buildings in CM. Sure, the fire might not be all over the place at once as the graphics show it, but it will be soon enough.

-Bullethead

West Feliciana Fire District #1

International Brotherhood of Dragonslayers Local 911

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 05-24-2000).]

Ok, just got off shift, Ill throw my 2 cents in. What Bullethead said. smile.gif

Granted buildings burn faster nowadays because of the synthetic materials used in furnishings/carpets. But your still looking at only 2-3 minutes of survivability in a structure 50 years ago.

Echo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Granted buildings burn faster nowadays because of the synthetic materials used in furnishings/carpets. But your still looking at only 2-3 minutes of survivability in a structure 50 years ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And things get a mite uncomfortable before they become unsurvivable smile.gif

My department just got run through that Swedish "crematorium" flashover thing. Visors removed, tinfoil on our helmets, towels and sweatsuits under our bunker gear, 2 nomex hoods, and still got singed in places. The nose cup in my mask got so hot it was boiling the sweat running down my nose and gave me a nice groove scalded into the side of my nose smile.gif

So what department do you sweat for?

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 05-25-2000).]

That would be Hamilton City FD, Ohio.

IAFF Local #20 (oldest in the state).

The cure for that nose scald you got there is copiouse amounts of beer. Apply liberaly until said area is numb. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Guest GriffinCheng

I am not a pro here but from the newspapers, we learn that poisonous smokes, released from burning synthetic material like bed mat, kills faster than heat itself. Fire is not something I would like to mess with, at least in Real Life.

Griffin @ work.

Echo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The cure for that nose scald you got there is copiouse amounts of beer. Apply liberaly until said area is numb. Wash, rinse, repeat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see your department has trained you all as EMTs. I concur with your assessment and shall begin treatment at once smile.gif

Griff said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am not a pro here but from the newspapers, we learn that poisonous smokes, released from burning synthetic material like bed mat, kills faster than heat itself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. One of the interesting tidbits I learned with this fireman gig is that burning A/C systems give off phosgene, which is nasty enough to have been used in war. The Germans popped its cherry in the 2nd stage of their Verdun offensive biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 05-25-2000).]