A little tribute to Alec Guiness

Just want to add a little tribute to one of my favourite actors who passed away.

One of my all time favourite WW2 movies is still River Kwai. He did some other memorable WW2 movies as well (i know younger folks mostly remember him for Star Wars though).

Marcus

Yes, Obi Wan is now one with the force. Well, that is too bad considering what a talent he was. Here is a list of films in which he starred that I enjoyed.

A Passage to India

Star Wars

Bridge Over the River Kwai

Cromwell

Dr. Zhivago

Lawrence of Arabia

Kafka

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geier:

Smiley is dead. Anyone who enjoyed the odd British spy novel might remember him as the le Carré "hero"in the TV series. I know I do.

Geier<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was one of the very best adaptations of a novel (or in this case two) that was ever done. Guiness gave one of the best, most nuanced peformances of his life in what must have been a difficult and challenging role.

Michael

Alec Guiness was one of the greats.

I recommend that his admirers check out some of the early comedies he did. These are excellent examples of British humor, and they're still hilarious after all these years:

The Lady Killers (w/ a very young Peter Sellers)

The Man in the White Suit

Kind Hearts and Coronets (Guiness plays almost every character here!)

I agree,,, A dam fine actor...

I loved him in "Lawrence of Arabia" that movie is just great... Something about the desert...

I really liked his fake teeth in "The Lady Killers" when he says to Herbert Lom... "Nervous Louie" I just cracked up at his devilish smile...

Truly a great great loss... Makes me wanna go and buy all of his films on DVD to remember him in style...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

Surely one of the few people one can find only good things to say about, wonderful range as an actor could do both 'serious' films and comedies with equal facility.

A shame hes gone, but lived a better life than most can hardly feel too bad when alls said and done.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

I’ve enjoyed Alec Guinness since I was a little kid. I’ve seen all his movies, most more than once. I’d like to add one more movie to the list above and that was “Hitler the Last Ten Days”. He looked and acted so much like him it was spooky.

Marcusm, I know you can get Tunes Of Glory on VHS, they have it at my Library.

“After playing the disciplined, inflexible Colonel Nicholson in River Kwai, three years later he played the opposite-the boorish, hard drinking Scottish Lt. Col. Jock Sinclair in “Tunes of Glory” He once described it as his favorite film role-“Perhaps the best thing I’ve ever done”. - Newsday

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

Is "smileys people" available anywhere on Video? i would LOVE to see that sucker again.

cheers

_dumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do find it, please tell me about it as I want to get both that one and

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" if possible.

They were BBC productions, were they not?

Thanks,

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett