GeForce 2MX

I posted this on the Tech forum but wanted to reach the wider audience of this board:

I would like to correspond with others using this card. I installed a new 32Meg GeForce 2 MX in my PIII 450, WIN 98 equipped system. I am using the version 6.35 driver. I had been using a 16Meg NVidia card. For some reason the video playback is worse with the new card. I am seeing much more jerkiness and slowdown. I would like to pick someone's brain about how to best tweak the driver settings for CM.

Uh, oh. I was just going to buy that card too. Do you have the Detonator 3 drivers from Nvidia's website (www.nvidia.com). If that doesn't work, it might be a problem with the card and game compatibility. Exactly WHAT kind of nVidia card did you used to have, and what kind of PC? If you get it sorted out, or if it continues to give you trouble, please e-mail me, I'm very interested in how this works out. It looked like a high quality, inexpensive option. Keep me posted!

Thanks,

Jim

If you have a "Fast Writes" option enabled (I don't know if the latest 6.35 driver still has this option) disable it. This option can cause serious problems with non-Intel chipsets and may not always work even with Intel chipsets.

What drivers were you using for your previous NVidia-based card ? Were they the Detonators or some manufacturer specific ones ? If they were manufacturer specific I would suggest running an uninstall on them (though this may do nothing to help your situation).

Do you know if you have the virtual desktop enabled ? I don't have a GeForceMX myself, but I know that there are some display options that are unique to that chipset with the latest Detonators (6.31+).

I have had trouble in the past with Nvidia drivers if I did not uninstall the prior drivers prior to loading the new ones. Unpredictable results may occur. I'd revert to the standard window's vga driver, uninstall any other old video drivers, and then install the latest set from Nvidia. It's the first thing to try, if you haven't already.