PBEM setup

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

I have initiated a couple of PBEM games so far. Every time the computer doesn't give me the chance to setup my troops. They always start out in a long line across the end of my setup zone. I DONT GET IT!! Has anyone else had this problem, or am I an idiot that is missing something very simple. HELP!!

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

If you can colored setup zone (boundaries) then you are in the setup phase. You will find all your men/vehicles placed on the map edge within the setup boundary.

It now up to you move those units whereever you want. This is done by clicking on each unit. You will be given the option of moving your units, checking LOS, rotating facing, etc. Page 31 of the manual describes each possible command.

Guest dirkd1976

Hi MERC,

This step I'm familiar with. The problem is that it skips right past this part. I've tried different PBEM setups, and I've noticed it only happens when I choose "allow player to choose" under select forces. I play axis, and choose my own forces, my opponent is amis and lets computer choose, and it skips right past the axis setup phase. If I let the PC select my forces it goes to the setup phase and I can set my forces up before I have to mail it out. I have the latest update (1.03), and I'm using alot of the other texture mods off Madmatts site. Has anyone else run into this bug?

------------------

[This message has been edited by dirkd1976 (edited 07-31-2000).]

I don't know what to tell you. I tried setting up a quick battle just the way you said and I couldn't duplicate it.

I'm using almost all the different mods also so I don't think that is the problem.

If you tell me exactly your setup is, I will try and duplicate here to see if I can help you determine whether it is a bug or some machine specific anomaly.

Guest dirkd1976

Hey MERC,

Thanks for the offer. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll try it out and write each step down and we'll see if you can replicate my problem. I appreciate your help. This is really bothering me, its also a pain in the ass when I try to play PBEM. Talk to ya soon.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Hey MERC,

Thanks for the offer. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'll try it out and write each step down and we'll see if you can replicate my problem. I appreciate your help. This is really bothering me, its also a pain in the ass when I try to play PBEM. Talk to ya soon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dirk,

If I setup a DYO PBEM, I'm allowed to set preferences and pick my forces, that's all.I then have to send the turn to my opponent.He picks his units and sends the turn to me, at which point I can place my units within my setup zones.I then send the turn to him.The perceived problem may be that when the PC is allowed to pick, it automatically puts you in setup mode? I don't know, I haven't tried letting the PC pick my forces [ I don't trust it biggrin.gif].

Try this.Go ahead and setup a game as you describe, pick your forces and save the turn when it prompts you too.Mail it off to your opponent.I'll bet when it comes back you are then in the setup phase.Apparently it works differently if you allow the PC to pick your units? smile.gif

Dick

Confirmed. I just tried it... If you set up a PBEM, where you select your units, but your opponent allows the cpu to choose his units, the game will accidentally forget your setup phase.

Step-by-Step

Player 1 (Axis) vs Player 2 (Allied)

1. Player 1 creates game.... In setup screen, choose Allow Human for Axis unit purchase, and Automatically for Allies. Other settings default (irrelevant apperantly). Click OK

2. Bypass the next map option screen (irrelevant) by clicking ok for default settings. Since Player 1 is Axis, choose Axis in the side selection screen. Then select Email game on the game type screen.

3. Now your in the Axis unit selection screen. select units as normal (unit type appears irrelevant, so choose anything). Click OK to continue.

4. Now you will get the promt verifing that an Email file will be created. follow the promts and create the file. Send to Player 2

5. Now Player 2 loads the file. After typing in his new password, it will go directly to the unit setup phase, with the Allied players CPU selected units alligned on the map edge as normal. Setup units and click OK. Everything up to now is fine as normal.

6. Create the new email file and send it back to Player 1. Now here is where the problem shows up. When Player 1 opens the file, it goes directly to the Axis order phase, skiping the setup phase entirely. All the Axis units are arrayed along the mp edge just as they would have appeared if it had gone to the setup phase.

Looks like a bug to me...

Guest dirkd1976

Thank god I'm not the only one to experience this problem. I though I was missing something, or I was being an idiot. Thanks Mikeydz for explaining that a little better for me. I am still at work, I was gonna check it out after work today. Maybe someone should post this as a bug alert on the board (me?). I'd like to hear if more people have had this problem, and then maybe alert BTS if it turns out that it is a bug. Thanks for your help guys, at least I know I'm not crazy anymore!! smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Thank god I'm not the only one to experience this problem. I though I was missing something, or I was being an idiot. Thanks Mikeydz for explaining that a little better for me. I am still at work, I was gonna check it out after work today. Maybe someone should post this as a bug alert on the board (me?). I'd like to hear if more people have had this problem, and then maybe alert BTS if it turns out that it is a bug. Thanks for your help guys, at least I know I'm not crazy anymore!! :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dirk,

I'll test this myself when I get home.If it's as you say I'll notify Charles that it's a possible bug, ok? Meantime you can post it here as a bug report, I'm only offering to make sure they get it [ as a buffer]?

Dick

Guest dirkd1976

Great Dick!! As soon as I get a free minute I will start another post on this probable bug.

Mike, if ya dont mind I may cut and paste some of your bug report in my new post instead of retyping the whole thing. I dont have all kinds of time today, but I would like to get this post up and see peoples reactions.

Thanks guys!

------------------

This just happened to me too. It was a meeting engagement and I lost the initiative because it took me 4 minutes to shuffle my men wher I wanted them. All my support and MG units and all were on one side, and the infantry was on the other. Thank God i didn't have any arty