Engineering an Attack.

I'm sure this topic has been posted several times but alas, I am too lazy to perform a search.

I thought maybe I could gleen some tactics out of the strategists on this board as far as how to best engineer an attack/defense in Combat Mission. I'm particularly interested in the SETUP PHASE... I often find myself rushing through the setup phase because I want to get to the FIGHTING and usually end up with alot of unnecessary casualties. The biggest crux of the setup phase for me is deciding whether ot include mortars/mg's with rifleteams because of the contrastiing mobility. I treasure the ability to run in the rifle teams and I feel as though I'm somehow crippling it if I try to use an mg in conjunction with it. My mortars hardly ever see the frontlines because they're so slow or because they get blasted off the tank they were riding and are "shaken" for the rest of the battle. So lemme try to put some organization to this mess:

1) What should you do with mg's and mortars and spotters? (I really have trouble using the latter two effectively)

2) How should you group during the setup phase? I usually keep my rifle squads near their co's which means my basic infantry combat unit is 3 rifle teams and an hq (and an at weapon when available). Is this okay? Should I be including mg's with them or mortars?

3) And finally, how do you plan out a good attack or defense? I'm playing "Clash of the Eagles" (I think that's what it's called right now and it's taken me about 20 minutes just to seperate all my squads and get them organized. These large maps are especially intimidating for me because, although my units are organized, I just don't know where to place them or how to plan in advance what I'd like to do with them.

I guess my problem is that I like to win the first time I play a scenario. You know how to attack and win after you've played it twice or three times, but officers didn't have the luxury during WWII. The most helpful thing for me would probably be a walkthrough of the setup phase. Thx in advance for all the responses I'll get.

-Hawkeye

Well, I'll address at least some of this.

I like to set up MG's with platoon. When platoon is advancing, I keep the MG back to provide cover fire i.e. when an enemy pops up to attack my advancing squads the MG can fire them up. Once the platoon has secured a new position I bring the MG up. In my knowledge this is pretty much how they were used in real life. Whenever possible they were stationed on the flanks of an advancing force to provide "security" against an enemy flanking counter-attack. When a platoon advances its flanks are often exposed to such a counter attack and a well placed MG can help prevent this. I kind of think of my MG's as primarily defensive weapons, even when attacking.

Mortars are tricker. If the map is very open I leave all of them with the company commander and setup for indirect fire, thus forming a artillery unit of sorts. When the map is more congested I set them up with each platoon but keep them as far back as possible while still being in command. Thus if the platoon HQ comes under fire it can always bring indirect mortar fire down on its attacker. While one 60mm mortar isn't much, those HQ's need all the firepower they can get when attacked. Finally, remember that mortars are also good for a quick smokescreen.

Pay special attention to FOF (fields of fire) and your occupying terrain or "silhouette" to the enemy.

This makes all the difference in staying alive on the battlefield.

All the heavy weapons, armor, arty, MG's etc, are completely useless unless you can effectively bear them down with full LOS on the enemy while presenting the smallest silhouette possible. Basically, it's practice practice practice...

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-30-2000).]

There is a tutorial scenario called "Grafenhau". There is a set of training instructions to go with it, I *think* they can be found on the CMHQ web site. Well worth the effort to go through this tutorial, I think it will help you.

Also, something I picked up from more experienced players on here regarding mortars and heavy machine guns. When buying troops, or playing a scenario, get a Company Commander and place the mortars and HMG under his command as a heavy weapons platoon sort of thing. You can then use them as a fire base to support your regular troops going forward. With the Company Commander "spotting" you can keep the mortars back and out of sight.

Anyway, the Grafenhau tutorial scenario will help you with your setting up phase and planning your attacks.

A search on this BB for "infantry tactics" and "tank tactics" et al will turn up much useful information for you. Getting thrashed in your first PBEM should motivate you! :^)

Cheers,

OGSF

All good advice here, and don't forget the Quick Battle generator. Allows you to setup smaller battles, get the feel of different units and terrain, conditions, etc. A great way to practice without intimidating numbers and maps, and easier to use than I would have thought possible in a game like this!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

I can provide one bit of info concerning the mobility factor. If feasible in your situation, and your going to have the whole platoon run, you can higlight all of the squads along with the Platoon HQ and the mortar and/or mg, and click on the "Run" command. This will force the MG or Mortar to run along with the squad and only be a step or two behind instead of several meters.

I don't think this is gamey, as the game takes this into consideration and makes them "Tired" after their run wheras most of the time the rest of the platoon is in "Ready" status. So it does penalize you for doing this, but it gets them to move quicker. I sometimes use it when I need a mortar/mg in place fast. But you have to highlight a unit along with the mortar or MG that can run to get them to do the run function as well.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't think this is gamey, as the game takes this into consideration and makes them "Tired" after their run wheras most of the time the rest of the platoon is in "Ready" status. So it does penalize you for doing this, but it gets them to move quicker. I sometimes use it when I need a mortar/mg in place fast. But you have to highlight a unit along with the mortar or MG that can run to get them to do the run function as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this is not true. If you lasso/multi select units, you can issue a run order assuming there is a unit in your "group" that can run, but if you look at the color movement "paths" the mortar or mg unit will have the move command placed.

I'm no tactical expert, but I've learned a few things in PBEM.

Be very careful with artillery spotters. Never put them with machinegun squads or other troops (machine guns have a nasty habit of opening up at long range and drawing indiscriminate enemy fire/artillery, which doesn't help your artillery spotters lifespan), keep them far to the rear (or at least screened by infantry) in a spot with good los and don't move'em unless you have to. Nothing is more frustrating than losing all your artillery in the Operation in the first turn of contact.

When playing quick battles, look at the terrain. Pick where you would funnel your infantry through (the area with most cover). Look for a kind of river of trees that flows to your side of the map. If you're lucky, there will only be one or two. That's where the computer infantry are going to come through. Target these areas. Put spotters in LOS to them, have squads set back to concentrate fire on em. The infantry will stop further advance, the enemy infantry will pile up, your squads get to breaking point, but by then your artillery has let loose and is chewing up the trees along with the germans.

The down side is that the computer picks the exact route of advance I would take (ie. against a human I'd try the same thing, and could be stopped much the same way). I don't want to run my infantry across open fields either.

For AT guns, enfilading fire is the ticket. I've tried stopping SS tank assaults with at guns and infantry and gotten creamed until I read on the board about the benefits of oblique firelanes. Don't shoot straight ahead, fire from angles that compliment each other, and cannot be hit from directly ahead. It's very effective.

How do you get past it? Other than with lots and lots of smoke, I have no idea.

I played Clash of Eagles vs. the ai. I kept the hill swathed in smoke for most of the battle.

Don't want to give anything away, but it was a hell of a fight and I didn't win.

And here I am posting advice on how to play.

The irony of it all.

kunstler

Yep Hawkeye, check out the AARs.

There is some wonderful insight to be had there. Lewis (the infamous :Username smile.gif and Scott Clinton aside, Fionn knows of what he speaks. I can only envy his apparent skill at aggressive defensive tactics. The Sunken Road, in particular, will teach you a thing or two.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

Another spotter trick:

Keep them out of LOS of their target but start moving towards it as the timer nears 0. As long as he gets LOS anytime before the timer reaches 0 he still gets the accuracy bonus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikeydz:

Actually, this is not true. If you lasso/multi select units, you can issue a run order assuming there is a unit in your "group" that can run, but if you look at the color movement "paths" the mortar or mg unit will have the move command placed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.. may I have been thinking about a bazooka or Piat Team?? I am at work now, but I will take another look at it when I get home. I was pretty sure I got them to move quicker than normal, but again, I could be mistaken.

Sorry for the bum info ahead of time. I will of course be testing on an open map as soon as I get home. smile.gif I just have to see for myself now. I will eat my crow upon completion of my testing.

GI Tom

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GI Tom:

Sorry for the bum info ahead of time. I will of course be testing on an open map as soon as I get home. smile.gif I just have to see for myself now. I will eat my crow upon completion of my testing.

GI Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Takes a big bite of crow...chewing...well ya see (burp) I confused the Piat/Bazooka team with the MG/Mortar team in my post. Takes another bite of crow. So actually, you cannot make the ol' MG/Mortar team run.

Sorry. frown.gif

I stand/sit corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

GI Tom

------------------