Why argue BHN when you can OWN a KT glacis plate?

I'm NOT kidding. eBay presently has KT remnants for sale (eighth known Henschel) dug up in Kielce, Poland. Pieces include glacis and stern plates, plus road wheels, torsion bars and other goodies.

Still don't believe me? See for yourself in color at

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&items=459670179

The last is the item number. If the link doesn't work, search www.ebay.com under that. The category is militaria.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Big Time Software

Military Vehicle collectors are VERY sceptical about this sort of stuff. The pictures here do prove that the pieces exist (which is a HUGE step up from some others I have seen smile.gif), but the problem of getting them out of the former East Bloc is a bit problematic. Perhaps not for Poland, but getting the necessary paper work to export stuff out of the old Soviet Union requires a lot of illegal payoffs in many cases because the Soviet Union decided that ALL battlefield relics are property of the state. When the SU broke up, this was transfered to the local Republic in question.

Like I said, this sale actually has pictures so the likelyhood of it being legit increases quite a bit. Being in Poland also makes it more likely to be legit. But... you never know wink.gif

Steve

Current bid $1,025. I'll bet it would cost a whole lot more than that by the time you got it, if you ever did get it.

My wife has a difficult enough time getting Beanie Babies, which don't come from the former Soviet Union and the weigh A LOT less.

Steve hit on the point that came to mind with me - does the seller actually own this stuff? Do you need some sort of export license? Is there some law of antiquities or regarding war trophies that would apply? Is it legal to export or import tank parts without government approval (like an arms license) on both ends? You would think that some element of the Polish armed forces would like it for a museum.

Regardless, that glacis plate would make a helluva coffee table, wouldn't it? smile.gif

Guest machineman

I've worked a bit with steel and remember just a 1/2" 2'X4'chunk we used for a welding table top being a surprisingly heavy and awkward thing to move around. Any guesses on what that glacis plate weighs?

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Any guesses on what that glacis plate weighs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't a clue, but I bet it could be carried by a swallow wink.gif

Hehe... I don't think the surface area is big enough to hold all the stamps that would be needed to mail that sucker! On the plus side, I don't think there is a mail service in the world that could damage that thing even if there is NO packaging around it smile.gif

Seriously, the cost of moving that would be more than $1000 for sure.

Steve