Panther shot trap kills?

Just curious if anyone has taken out a panther from the front via the shot trap (obviously a panther without the 'chin').

The data screen for the Panther indicates there's a shot trap, and theoretically a round could ricochet off the mantle into the thin top armor, but I was wondering if anyone actually has seen this (either in the Demo or the full release)? how common was this in real life? Obviously it happened once in a while (hence the fix on the G model)...

Sooner or later, with all of us playing, one of us should get a top armor pentration message. All I manage to do is wipe out a machine gun, or the main gun (once).

or would we even get a message for this?

just curious, and an attempt to have a topic that doesnt involve "I got my CM!" (I havent yet, but had some CC problems so it should be on it's way. Had to sneak that in...)

thanks!

dave

------------------

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once

I don't know how "common" it was, but it was a technique practiced by the Allies to aim for that shot trap. If I can find a link or a quote, I'll paste it, but I remember reading not too long ago a quote from one Canadian tank veteran who used that technique to brew up Panthers on a regular basis.

Dar

My first game of VoT I played the Germans. My Panther arrived and I manuevered it in hull down position. First shot fired by a Sherman hit the shot trap!!! Got a message that upper hull penetrated by this frontal shot (such as I can remember).

This is the FIRST tank shot I had experienced in CM, my very first game! Imagine my shock and surprise. I was ready to go on a jihad against CM gun calculations. How can CM have the Panther so weak!!!

I played again, and again, and again. I found the Panther was actually quite tough up front, gun damage and immobilization being the worse results. Never saw the frontal shot trap again, and hope I never will (unless I'm doing the shooting). But a Sherman can take out a Panther on front armor, as I can testify on my very first virgin round ever fired at one of my tanks. OUCH!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aikidorat:

Figured someone had!

what was the damage message?

like you said, gotta love the detail in this game. Simply amazing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly can't remember. Just remember thinking it was a shot trap kill. Had to be, at least I thought it had to be at the time, my 76mm Sherman was toast. The previous posts probably have the message right.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.