Use CM game Engine to create WW2 Naval Surface Battles

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Sounds cool. Are you talking about doing amphibious landings too? This would be something to incorporate into a PTO version of CM.

Ah,come on.....

all the REAL naval battles took place in WWI smile.gif

would be fun,though.......

P.S.:any old "jutland" players out there?

(I remember that game being a real problem

with the folks....NEVER use the kitchen floor

for a game!)

P.S.perhaps new thread material:"wich wargames got you into the most trouble as a lad/lass?"a review of the potential "to bed/without supper-ness of wargames"

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 04-19-2000).]

The best wargame of tactical gunnery battles WWI/WWII is Action

Stations from Raw Entertainment. Fabulous realism and historical

accuracy but hideous graphics (cga, ega at best) and no sound at

all (not even PC speaker!). smile.gif

I would love to have a newer version with vga and sound. smile.gif

Guest Madmatt

Lee I agree 1000%!!!! I loved Action Stations and would LOVE to see that classic revitalzied today..

The options available to the player in that were incredible! Counterflooding, starshells, listing, ammo magaizine explosions, damage control parties the list goes on and on!!!

Even the manual was well done!!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Hey, an Action Stations fan! Cool. smile.gif Then you know what I'm

talking about. Action Stations is the CM of naval gunnery warfare.

I sooo hope they do a new version of it. All it will take is

enough bucks to pay the navy officer that designed/programmed it

to get to work on the sequel. smile.gif He was already working on

the sequel, called Fleet Commander, but there wasn't the funding to

finish the project (the publisher is a really cool guy but he was

desperately short on cash).

Actually, I thought Fighing Steel was quite good and a lot of fun. You should have seen the amount of data and nitpicking that was flying around between the beta testers.

The problems were brought in by the marketing crowds. For example, the design team wanted a good campaign system, but the game had to be shipped out the door yesterday, so it didn't happen. Then the game was shipped before any of the problems found by beta-testers could be recognised. This game was an outstanding example of corporate mis-management, but even at that, when using the scenario editor to build just what you wanted to do, I can't think of how I would like the game to be better implemented.

NTM

Think about the amount of tracer fire coming from 1 Heavy Cruiser, with each gun turret (with its armor values) modeled, smaller caliber weapons like .50s, 40mm Bofors AA guns (with the crews manning them visible on the deck(ie AT guns in CM)), 5" and 8" secondary guns midship....splitting shell shrapnel wiping out crew men on deck. Armor and penetration values modeled through the length of the ship just like a tank.

By the way, the game that got me in the most trouble was Third Reich. After 3 days on the kitchen table (right in the middle of my opening moves for barbarosa) my old man hurled it into the other room. Incidently, I never did recover all the MIA Whermacht from the catastrophe.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear no one, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

Rob

Dreadnaughts. I still have it just can't play it anymore. And it had nothing to do with Dreadnaughts, mostly hunting the Bismark. Yes it was an SSI game, when they made good ones. Played it on my Apple IIe. I have wanted to make the same suggestion about a naval game using the CM engine for a long time but was afraid of being flamed. I was going to suggest that Steve and Charles work on it in their spare time. (Ha Ha)

Action stations I played on my Tandy TL1000. Romping stomping 8 Mgz of TNT. I waited so long for Fighting Steel to come out and was disappointed with it. I really got more feeling of action with Dreadnaughts.

When you say it had very little graphics you are making an overstatement. I was not impressed by the graphics in Fighting Steel. I didn't really expect any in Dreadnaughts but I did in FS.

Really, I think the surface engagements fought between the US and IJN in 42 and 43 were a tremendous struggle during a time when so to speak the "outcome was still in doubt." Even in 44 how you like to have Oldendorf's old BB's some of which had come of the mud of Pearl Harbor crossing the T of Kurita's Southern Force trying to enter the Surigao Strait. I read an account on one of the Brooklyn class Cl's that when they were locked onto a target they would fire all the main guns independently instead of in salvo. It said with 15 6" guns firing at night it looked like a steady stream of fire coming from them. In the Atlantic we could chase the Bismark or worry about those beautiful bad German battlecruisers.

No terrain to worry about, not a whole bunch of small units to model. It would be great. Naval Combat Mission. Yes At point blank range we would expect to see those 20 and 40 going too.

The "Dreadnoughts" game I remember was almost exclusively WWI fleet actions and included Dogger Bank, Coronel, Falklands and of course Jutland. It was developed by Peter Turcan and had a nice system for controlling squadrons of battleships etc., I used to play it a lot and really liked it. You can download it for free from the Underdogs website

http://underdogs.gamingdepot.com/

Joe

That game I was thinking of was called Dreadnoughts (with an O) but it was from Avalon Hill. On the box it says WWII naval action in the North Atlantic. Go figure. You could set up some ship vs ship battles but the main part of it was the hunt for the Bismark using the actual ships involved. You commanded the Bismark and could choose your break out route. Darn those pesky PBY's. No graphics. I played it a few hundred times.

Ah yes! Naval wargaming, I used to love the 1:1200 scale waterline models. I spent many a happy hour with my friends setting up, and playing huge fleet engagements on the driveway, and garage floor (the only places we had that were big enough). Of course we also played all the Avalon Hill naval board games, I've also done most of the computer naval games as well. But none of that would compare to the fun of a Combat Mission type of naval wargame. Start with The Spanish-American war, then the Russo-Japanese war, then on to WWI, etc. I'd gladly pay top dollar for something along those lines!

------------------

Darryl