COOL STUFF TO TRY...PART 1

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Ok, sounds like a fair bunch of you have the Demo now so I can reveal some of SECRETS OF COMBAT MISSION (add echo effect)!!!

I will stick these in no order since my mind doesn't abide by normal rational linear standards..

PANZERSCHRECKS: They can sprint now. I don't call it running (although that's the command you will use) since they will tire so easily. In my testing I saw a team get TIRED after less than 100 meters and they were WEARY after about 125. Still a good tactical option to be used...

VEHICLE AMBUSH MARKERS: Forgot about those didn't ya? Try using them with those StuG's in CE. IIRC you can lay one out to a maximum of 300 meters but I believe they will still enagage a juicy target that wanders into view. It's good way to ensure an area gets proper FOCUS. Cool to Try with Sherman's too as they will wheel their turrets around toward the marker now!

AMBUSH MARKERS IN GENERAL: Don't forget, ALL AT teams can now place their own Ambush Markers. So now that lone zook out by himself can lay a yummy ambush without that pesky HQ unit having to be nearby.

INDIRECT MORTAR FIRE: To be honest I haven't tried this myself but here is how its supposed to work as I understand.

First: The Mortar team MUST be within a valid command radius of an HQ unit.

Second: The HQ unit must have a valid LOS to the target.

Apparently thats all there is to it. Just target the spot and let her rip. If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it! smile.gif

GRAZING FIRE: Notice how a good MG with raking fire can stop an entire platoon cold? YOU WILL biggrin.gif

GROUP SELECT: Ok, you got the group move thing figured out now so how about some other uses? You can select a group individually by SHIFT-CLICKING. Each unit in turn will be added or removed from the group when you SHIFT CLICK on him (PC users only, I dont know the Mac term for this). You can also do more than move when a group is selected. You can HIDE, and TARGET. Remember all orders still orginate with the unit in the group that has the yellow border and if you use the TARGET key all units will draw a red targeting line to the target but that does not mean that they can in fact SEE the target. Be carefull with TARGETING while a group is selected.

INTERFACE KEYS: Shift P toggles through all different LINE modes. You have NO LINES, SHOW UNIT MOVE LINES, SHOW JUST TARGET LINES, SHOW ALL LINES etc etc... Learn to use them all as they are a great tactical tool.

ok, thats enough for PART 1. I have a ton more so stand by!

Just a parting note, now that there are dozens and dozens of messages from people about the game I struck by one notable ommision from all the first impressions.... BODIES, after ALL the commotion these caused for months and months , NOT ONE PERSON HAS STATED ANYTHING ABOUT THE DAMN BODIES! Good...Thats the way it should be...

Take care all! See ya soon!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-10-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

ADDENDUM!

Forgot one I meant to include...

ADVANCED VCR FUNCTIONS: The VCR will now allow single second JUMPS forward or backward. Hold the shift key while you click the RW or FF buttons and the game will go in 1 second increments instead of the normal 10 second ones...

Madmatt

------------------

AWESOME.

Kudos to Steve, Charles, and the entire CM development team, including the BETA testers (you lucky Bastages).

I'm officially going to have to leave work early. Now off to find an excuse to tell the boss why I won't be back after lunch. biggrin.gif

Mike D

aka Mikester

On the topic of panzerschreck teams sprinting, can machinegun teams run now as well? Sorry if this has been covered before. I am too lazy to use the search this early in the morning here in Minnesota wink.gif Thanks,

Guest Madmatt

Nope, those are still too heavy. I got a chance to HEFT a schreck around recently (please don't ask, my attorney advised me NOT to talk about it! biggrin.gif) and I have also lugged a Ma Duece around. No comparison...

They are both bulky but I could see maybe running with the schreck for short distances. A mg? No way in hell! Although thats just my opinion and if you don't agree well then keep it to yourselces and help yourself to a WARM GLASS OF SHUT THE HELL UP! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Guest tom w

On the MAC side :

The Shift key is Exactly the same. I might add ALL other Mac program, add things to a selection by using the shift key and clicking, I think apple invented the idea, BUT I could be wrong...

As for Combat Mission units can be added and subtracted from a group selection on a MAC using the shift key in exactly the same way as described below.

This was a MUCH needed feature and it WORKS

GREAT! I love the Group Target order.

An infantry advance with the group order used to target one unit or position is a VERY powerful feature in indeed.

thanks

-tom w

"GROUP SELECT: Ok, you got the group move thing figured out now

so how about some other uses? You can select a group individually

by SHIFT-CLICKING. Each unit in turn will be added or removed from

the group when you SHIFT CLICK on him (PC users only, I dont know

the Mac term for this). You can also do more than move when a

group is selected. You can HIDE, and TARGET. Remember all orders

still orginate with the unit in the group that has the yellow border and

if you use the TARGET key all units will draw a red targeting line to

the target but that does not mean that they can in fact SEE the

target. Be carefull with TARGETING while a group is selected."

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Bobb

In 1961 the most intense training exercise in AIT ALL trainees were required to perform was to participate as a member of a 3 man machine gun team, one carrying the gun, one the tripod and one the ammo. We were required to move the gun uphill (deep sand, Ft. Dix) some 2 or 3 hundred yards, at a run (trot as we tired) to set up and recommence firing. As a measure of certainity that we had a goodly distance to do this, the hill top was hit with a number of rounds of artillery. (By the way, it was an accurate and tightly grouped barrage - no shorts or strays as were all artillery shoots that I witnessed.)

The worst job was carrying the gun. We switched off from time to time on the move. If we lagged or stopped we were promised the "opportunity" to do it again. You can bet anything you value that we did not have to repeat. Running for moderate distances at a reduced speed with the Browning aircooled tripod mounted machine gun is doable. Problem for CM is it can't be done at the same rate as infantry carrying their basic combat load. I am not bothered with the CM representation though. Coding an intermediate rate would be just another burden on the well filled coding table.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Bobb,

Thanks for the 1st hand insight. This is what we concluded. A MG team could move faster than moderate pace, but at great cost to endurance. In other words, something that the team normally would not do unless there was a very good, short term, reason to do it (like a drill instructor with "opportunities" in his back pocket smile.gif).

But as you point out, we would have to make another speed somewhere between infantry Move and infantry Run. This is not impossible, and is something we might look at again in the future, but we agree that the way it is now is not something screaming out for a fix wink.gif

Steve

Read Burgetts "Seven Roads to Hell".

He discusses the support weapons inability to keep up and also the need to pass the weapons around while marching. I remember doing the same with M60s. Its just a chunk of metal and wears you down after a few miles. We had all the ammo in the jeeps. I cant imagine going through broken terrain having to carry ammo and weapons and having to worry about looking around all the time.

Lewis

Guest morjit

Hey Matt how do you get it to skip 1 sec? It will only skip 2 sec, which is a little weird. And not very usefull.

Guest Madmatt

Yes, its not so easy to get the one second increment. I think each press actually advances 2 seconds more often than naught but with practice you can get it to do single steps...

IT TAKES A STEADY HAND! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Guest Charles

Matt,

I noticed a new order: "Target next." What does that do and how does it work?

Muchos gracias.

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

Target next is wonderful.

Instead of targeting the church in CE and having it explode in the first 10 seconds ... and then pumping 8 more shells into it, you can target the church (primary), then select another target (target next).

happiness.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

Target next is wonderful.

Instead of targeting the church in CE and having it explode in the first 10 seconds ... and then pumping 8 more shells into it, you can target the church (primary), then select another target (target next).

happiness.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

Guest Charles

Wunderbar!

Great news--less fanatical AFV gunners. This game rocks! Thanks BTS!

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

BODIES, after ALL the commotion these caused for months and months , NOT ONE PERSON HAS STATED ANYTHING ABOUT THE DAMN BODIES! Good...Thats the way it should be...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, this sounds too much like a dare... So here goes:

Actually, I find the "corpses" kinda distracting --- especially if you're scanning for targets from a distance. The Targeting function will allow you to target dead troops just like it'll allow you to target knocked out tanks, and from across the map, a cowering 2-3 man element looks alot like a dead one (or vice-versa).

Guest tom w

Simple answer

I used the Shift B to show bases and leave them on, the base goes away when the unit is dead, the bodies DON'T show the bases....

easy, play with the realistic unit size and bases on.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

The Targeting function will allow you to target dead troops just like it'll allow you to target knocked out tanks, and from across the map, a cowering 2-3 man element looks alot like a dead one (or vice-versa).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

Hmmmm, this sounds too much like a dare... So here goes:

Actually, I find the "corpses" kinda distracting --- especially if you're scanning for targets from a distance. The Targeting function will allow you to target dead troops just like it'll allow you to target knocked out tanks, and from across the map, a cowering 2-3 man element looks alot like a dead one (or vice-versa).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sat there pouring fire into what I thought was an enemy squad for several minutes.The damned squad wouldn't die. I called artillery on it, I shot it, but it still wouldn't die. Turned out it was a casualty marker... redface.gif

"I swear that body over there is still moving..."

-Lurker

Guest tom w

two suggestions

1 get down on the ground (camera veiw 1 or 2 ) and take a good look at what it is you are shooting at

OR

2 use SHIFT B and play with the bases ON! when a unit dies its coloured base disappears (bodies, don't have bases) EASY!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lurker:

.The damned squad wouldn't die. I called artillery on it, I shot it, but it still wouldn't die. Turned out it was a casualty marker... redface.gif

"I swear that body over there is still moving..."

-Lurker

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Big Time Software

Well, we warned the pro-body loby that this might happen smile.gif Seriously, I think it is 99% due to the fact that you aren't used to seeing them. We have been playing with them since November or December. I probably made a few mistakes in the beginning, but I don't even think about it now and all is OK. If you are ever in doubt, a simple click should do the trick. If you can see it, you can click on it wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom w:

two suggestions

1 get down on the ground (camera veiw 1 or 2 ) and take a good look at what it is you are shooting at

OR

2 use SHIFT B and play with the bases ON! when a unit dies its coloured base disappears (bodies, don't have bases) EASY!

-tom w

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have one further suggestion for myself...

3. Get some sleep! I've been up far too long examining the game.

I'd like to think that if I had gotten sufficient sleep within the past 48 hours I would not be making stupid mistakes. biggrin.gif

-Lurker

Guest TOBRUK

OK- I was one of those arguing against bodies, but after seeing the effect I must admit that it seems fine. I guess life would be easier if I just defered to Steve and Charles without a struggle smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

No one has yet to mention the fact that engineers can now clear mines, too smile.gif Check out the bottom of the readme for info...

Guest Madmatt

By the way not to pick on Moriarty but he is as wrong about the Target Next key as can be.

This is merely a VALID TARGET SCROLL function which will work for units in GOOD order. If a unit is not pinned or routed/broken/shocked etc... and can trace a valid LOS to more than one enemy target you can press the N key and scroll through all the valid targets that the unit could fire on!

You DO NOT get the same detailed 'HIT' info that you would by manually targeting a unit your self (you know Firepower, target exposure % etc..) but its a quick way to scan through all the valid targets. Remember, its not perfect and you can sometimes manually target a unit which the TARGET NEXT key will not show but its a great time saver and nice feature none the less.

Just remember that while Pinned units CAN fire still they CANT use this command, or at least I have had no luck with it in that circumstance.

Madmatt

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes, its not so easy to get the one second increment. I think each press actually advances 2 seconds more often than naught but with practice you can get it to do single steps...

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try shift-click! No steady hand needed. smile.gif