Dr. Brian is right

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe BTS's newest simulation could be about eating breakfast or something....

Heh....how 'bout Combat Mess Hall Mission? wink.gif

------------------

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

--Dr. Strangelove--

[This message has been edited by Emos (edited 08-26-2000).]

I was thinking more along the lines of "Nutrition Mission"

It could have various units such as toast, eggs, bacon, and cereal. We wouldn't be able to include struedel because it might offend some people. Cap'n Crunch cereal will also not be allowed because the Cap'n glorifies war. Along other lines, Lucky Charms could also be left out because it stereotypes Irish leprechauns.

Maybe this game isn't such a good idea because it will offend some people. And don't let us start on those who do not or cannot eat breakfast, they might not like it either.

I'm only interested in the military history. PLUS, I want to be damn sure I'm ready for the next time we fight WWII. Remember Pearl Harbor!

------------------

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can be used against you....

Gee I didn't realize that my morals were all screwed up...gonna have to stop playing games that depict violence I guess wink.gif

I'm only interested in military history!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

Aren't those of us in the US deriving pleasure from stolen indian lands, every day? -johnS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope IM not “opening a can of worms” here, And by no means am I trying to start an argument. But… I have heard the above so many times (not on the forum) and I dont see the point.

There is no doubt we are living on former Indian lands. But had we not taken the land ,then Britain or France would have. Also, the Indians were fighting among them selves quite frequently. Taking what land they could from the next tribe. All of Human history is filled with one culture advancing and taking from the next. I don’t care where on earth you look. To say WE I.E. the United States has taken Indian land as if we are the only country to have used military force to gain territory is misleading. That said, I agree with the meat of you post. Good day.

------------------

Semper Fi.

What utter rubbish this entire thread is.

How does the sanctimonious Dr Brian explain boys playing with guns or war movies or war books or anything war related??

War and conflict is an ingrained part of human nature. Wherever there are two groups of people, there will be conflict.

Even a simpleton can recognize this.

Playing games that use war as the backdrop do not make us warmongers or Nazis.

In my opinion Dr Brian is such a vehement anti-Nazi/anti-German that he is unable to detach himself from the topic enough to realize that we are only playing a game here.

Time for Prozac

I'm sure that Pokemon solution will be troublesome with the Japanese, as they seem to have a fetish for cute yet almost deadly cartoon characters.

So, I'm suggesting that CM2 be reworked as Ethics Mission, where you chair a panel that holds a non-binding debate on the relative merits of pretending to kill make belive people in a quasi-historical setting.

You're scored on your ability to make nobody happy with your "everyone's happy" solutions, and how long you can talk without having any information leave your mouth.

Dr. Brian, I apologize!!

Please excuse my ungermanlike behaviour today.

I totally failed in my holy and

germanogenetically duties to

<ul>

<LI> be a totally incompetent soldier

<LI> greet passing people by shouting "Sieg Heil" and/or "Heil Hitler"

<LI> invade Poland (I wanted to, REALLY, but I missed the bus.)

<LI> dress up with nothing but black leather and a Luger stuck in my a**.

<LI> kill my grandfathers because they didn't fight to the death in WWII

<LI> torture one of my grandpa's before killing him, because he wasn't even a self-respecting nazi in the war (shocking!)

I have to admit that I conducted myself well today and even *shudder* put a small tip I got into the "S.O.S Kinderdorf" (a welfare organization) box. Worst of all, I won a PBEM. (so I'm a liar too, oh my!)

Failing all the a.m. duties I apologize again, this time for not committing suicide because I'm German. (AND not to forget, failed to do everything you expected from me!)

Worst of all, I'm now here, writing this nonsense, just because someone like you makes my stomach turn so hard that I could throw up.

<hr>

[i edited this message and removed some harsh language, a hamster wearing a Stahlhelm and a Sturmspüle. It's no use anyways.]

[This message has been edited by Lindan (edited 08-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka PanzerLeader:

However the issue that you just mentioned, crumply, isn't at all laughable and has to be taken seriously. Unfortunately it was DocBrian's only good idea.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's unfortunate? I find it unfortunate that you think it's my only good good idea. To bad many here are jaded.

I play wragames, because, it's much better than Chess, and I enjoy outhinking my opponent, like in chess. Nothing like a good whipping too to keep me honest too.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Lindan, and others,

Please realize that we are dealing with a person who is new to this forum, and has extremely strong personal beliefs. I don't think he realizes how his statements and style of communication affects others, nor the reasoning behind the reactions.

Engaging in a flame war or in parody will potentially only lead to one or more people no longer posting here. I don't think anyone wants that. I would suggest that people try informing others when their statements are offensive, and trying to educate, rather than reacting with strong emotion. I know it is tough, since so many of us have personal ties to these issues, but try to remember that this is not the forum to discuss them.

If we give new members the chance to adapt to the forum, and educate them on what the forum is all about, we may be able to avoid the flame wars we have been seeing here lately.

Either that, or they prove that themselves trolls (they always do), or prove they have permanent chips on their shoulders, and leave. (And no, Dr. Brian, that was not directed at you)

-Scorp

Pham911 said :

So, I'm suggesting that CM2 be reworked as Ethics Mission, where you chair a panel that holds a non-binding debate on the relative merits of pretending to kill make belive people in a quasi-historical setting.

You're scored on your ability to make nobody happy with your "everyone's happy" solutions, and how long you can talk without having any information leave your mouth.

------------------

Ho, thanks for that one, man! Best laugh I've had today!! I 'bout fell off my chair, I was laughing so hard!

Oh yeah, I forgot : I'm only interested in good video games.

DeanCo--

[This message has been edited by deanco (edited 08-26-2000).]

I like the beautiful images as things get blowed up. Duh.

Your opinion that Dr. Brian is right is yours, and maybe a few others on this forum. It isn't mine. I'm happy to say that I am not an extremist or, I hope, a trouble maker. I take that back. I am an extremist, but only concerning CM. You say anything bad about my CM..... Well, just don't!!!

Tell me, why do we have to make the Combat Mission game forum (the operative word here people is GAME) a political forum. Is it because of those elections comming up in the US? That always seems to bring out the worse in people.

I have discovered in my travels through this wonderful adventure I call LIFE, that you do not discuss the following if you don't want to get people mad:

1. Religion

2. Politics

3. Taxes

Now, if people insist on discussing this stuff on a GAME forum, I will be more then happy to have fun with you.

Don't worry, you can not make ME mad. For some reason the only person in this world that can do that is my wife of 22 years. She has had a lot of practice and knows which buttons to push, you don't.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Scarlet Pimpernel:

How does the sanctimonious Dr Brian explain boys playing with guns or war movies or war books or anything war related??

In my opinion Dr Brian is such a vehement anti-Nazi/anti-German that he is unable to detach himself from the topic enough to realize that we are only playing a game here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we go again..... <sigh> You keep bringin it up.

Yes, I'm anti-Nazi. What is wrong with that?

Am I anti-German? Good question. In some ways, yes. Do African Americans have some sort of anti-White attitude in the US? Maybe. Many of them do, as they make it known. There history in the US is filled with bitterness and oppression. Well, it's sort of the same thing. When a nation and people try to kill and subjegate you and your people (Slavic) for over 1000 years, what happens?

If you're Spanish, you could care less about Germany. The German people have not been trying to take your land for 1000 years. MAny of you fall into that category. For example, If your Armenian, you may have a dislike for the Turks. Germans haven't raped you lands.

Many of you that are Slavic (i.e., Polish, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, etc.) can seperate 1000 years of history and only consider the last 50. So you're not as "affected" as I am. That may be a good thing, as "healing" may begin. Sadly, I still see 1000 years. I expect something to happen again. What did they say after WWI? "No more war, never again!"

Perhaps to much reading is a bad thing?

Look at the Serbs and their neighbors. They've been at each others throats for 1000 years. Why? Because they keep taking andkilling each other for 1000 years.

Get out of your little world of only 25+ or - years, and look big picture. Cut the crap that it was 55 years ago, and see that it's 1000 years of a pattern of taking. Then, you'll at least understand differing opinions.

So am I anti-German? As long as they stay on their side of the river, no.

So, when are you guys gonna show some decency to me? I've apologized to Germans, with the hope that they understand why people may not like them. Does that make all Germans bad? Of course not!

But, the only thing many of you here are good for, is deriding opposing opinions such as mine, so fire away again. frown.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Am I anti-German? Good question. In some ways, yes.

Yes, I'm anti-Nazi. What is wrong with that?

So am I anti-German? As long as they stay on their side of the river, no.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you demand decency?? Perhaps a long, hard look in the mirror(with your eyes closed) will reveal something for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Here we go again..... <sigh> You keep bringin it up. Yes, I'm anti-Nazi. What is wrong with that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nothing

Am I anti-German? Good question. In some ways, yes. ... So am I anti-German? As long as they stay on their side of the river, no.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might as well say,

"Am I against blacks? as long as they stay on their side of the tracks, no.

So, when are you guys gonna show some decency to me? I've apologized to Germans, with the hope that they understand why people may not like them. Does that make all Germans bad? Of course not! But, the only thing many of you here are good for, is deriding opposing opinions such as mine, so fire away again. frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's your profile professor. Look at it. You may as well add in there "All Americans from before 1964 are evil because of the way slaves were treated and because of the civil rights abuses that went on during this decade."

Don't you see how ignorant your argument is?

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Dr. Brian.

Your comments have been the stupidest things I have EVER seen on the internet. Ever. There is not a pro-nazi or fascist person who posts here. There might be 1 or 2 trolls or smartass teenagers posting about how cool Germany is, but what you are bringing upm around here is totally irrelevant.

I dont think you should play Combat Mission, or associate with people who play Combat Mission. We, and the game just glorify violence, and as many of us have downloaded the historically accurate swastika emblems we are probably sympathetic to Nazi causes.

When are you going to get treated decently? Probably when you start using common sense and acting rational.

Oh and it was 50+ years ago. Most of the people you are mad at are dead. So go dig them up and shake your fist at them. Don't go espousing your anti-german racist BS at the descendants of those people. I will let you in on a little secret too. There are some people from a few other countries that have done bad things too. Scary, but true.

Guest machineman

"Teaching the world Nazi Germany and those who fought for it were evil"

Dr Brian

OK, I understand where you are coming from now. Teaching the world Nazi Germany is evil, well, fine there. Those who fought for it? Thats the problem.

If you were a German in the 30's and 40's, I'm sure the whole evil thing wouldn't have been quite so obvious to you. There was no such thing as a free press, satellite tv (no TV at all), you couldn't just say or argue anything you wanted, and most people did not get to travel around like they do today. Racism and ignorance of world affairs was rampant around the world, not just in Germany.

One thing was the same, when your nation called you to go to war, you went. And I would guess you got even less unbiased info on the world in the army, plus arguing was even less tolerated.

If you were Mr Average German back then, I'll bet you would have ended up Mr Wehrmacht foot soldier too. You may have served under my Grandfather, or along side some of my uncles, and I would bet money that you would not be talking the same as you are now.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

When a nation and people try to kill and subjegate you and your people

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's this whole "our people, their people, us, them" thing that leads to such terrible things that people do to each other. If you look a little closer, you're much more like everyone else than unlike them. For the most part people are pretty much the same everywhere. Kurt Vonnegut has a great term for groups that identify themselves by essentially meaningless criteria: Granfalloon. IIRC, the example he used in Cat's Cradle was hoosiers, but it could just as easily be Germans, Americans, Minnesotans, Canadians, Southern Californians, Northern Californians, Chinese, Iraqi, Serb, Croat, Bosnian, etc. Yeah, they all speak different languages, but translate it and everybody is pretty much the same.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-26-2000).]

Sorry everybody. I edited my post and removed a personal insult towards Dr. Brian and a short advice.

It was a mistake to take this person serious.

We don't need a discussion.

We need a Trollslayer.

cheers.

oh, Brian: I'll keep to my side of the river, don't worry. But if YOU will ever come over to my side, then try and call me a Nazi. Prepare for an interesting experience.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you were Mr Average German back then, I'll bet you would have ended up Mr Wehrmacht foot soldier too. You may have served under my Grandfather, or along side some of my uncles, and I would bet money that you would not be talking the same as you are now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. And not only that, I bet he'd follow whatever orders he was given, too. There have been some very interesting psychological experiments done in this area, the most noted being the famous "Shock Box," in which subjects, dubbed "Teachers," were told to ask a series of questions to "Learners" in another room. If a Learner answered incorrectly, the Teachers were told to shock them with increasing voltages. Unknown to the subjects (the "Teachers"), the "Learners" were actors and were not actually being shocked. Tape recordings of screams, moans, and shrieks of pain were played during the shock treatment to complete the illusion. If a subject asked an instructor if the Learner was alright, the response was "there is no permenant tissue damage." The studies revealed that most (somewhere around 60%-65%, IIRC) subjects followed orders and shocked their Learners past 450V.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!