Yet Another Book Recommendation

Could one of you wise souls please recommend a book which covers the later stages of the war in Europe(ie, post-Bulge including Varsity, the Rhine battles, etc)? Overlord, Market Garden and the Bulge get all the ink, but there was some very intersting stuff happening in 1945 that I'd like to learn more about.

Thanks very much.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

Road to Berlin (John Erickson) covers the Soviet side of things - but I don't think that's exactly what you're after?

Company Commander (Charles B. MacDonald) has a 'View 1' kind of look at things during that period on the Western Front.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Thanks for the suggestion. That will be helpful, but I'm also looking for stuff on the Western Front. Actually, MacDonald's book is one of the reasons that I'm interested in learning some more. I understand that he wrote a book called "The Last Offensive" while he was U.S. Army Historian, but it's out of print. I'm going to comb the online sellers for a copy now. Still taking suggestions, though. smile.gif

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

two good books:

"It never snows in September"

- can't remember the author but it a good book of the German side of Market Garden

"Seven Roads to Hell"

Donald Burgett (I think)

Great first person narrative of the Noville/Bastonge fighting. This book rivals MacDonald's "Company Commander", aslo an excellent book.

Guest GriffinCheng

"It Never Snows in September : The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944" by Robert J. Kershaw

I have just started the first chapter and it proves to be interesting if you have already read "A Bridge Too Far".

This should get a few posts:

RobVarak: I recommend A Dark and Bloody Ground by Miller, Texas A&M.

Anyone have suggestions for my next read?

Have been browsing Schiffer Publications page. Any suggestions for other sites that are targeted at the genre?

Have read recently (favorite 5 first):

Retreat from Leningrad: Army Group North

German Battle Tactics on the Russian Fromt

Panzer Truppen Vols. I & II

Steel Inferno

A Dark and Bloody Ground

Others (still good reads):

Panzer Commander (von Luck)

900 Days: Siege of Leningrad

Beyond the Beachhead

Citizen Soldiers

Band of Brothers

The Devil's Adjutant

Panzer Leader (Guderian)

Panzerjager

Soldat

D-Day (Ambrose)

Stalingrad (Beevor)

To Save Bastogne

Thanks in advance...

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 02-16-2000).]

A couple older books on the period late 1944-45:

The Last 100 Days by John Toland. Covers West and East fronts.

The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan. Focuses on the battle for Berlin but also covers in great detail the Western Front and the decision by Eisenhower not to go after Berlin.

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian. The last part of the book covers the period when Guderian was in charge of the Eastern Front until his dismissal by Hitler in early 1945. Some very good accounts of the goings-on at headquarters. Guderian wasn't afraid to stand up to Hitler and both had some raving arguments never seen before or after in Hitler's presence.

An interesting read of 1945, West Front, ETO, is Roll Me Over by Gantter (?), which is a G.I.'s experience from after Bulge to VE-day. Some powerful images of this most wasteful point in the war.

For a more thorough account Citizen Soldier can't be beat.

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 02-16-2000).]

A very good book dealing with 1st SS Panzer Korps in Hungary in 1945 during Operation "Frühlingserwachen" is "Men of Steel" by Major General Michael Reynolds.

BTW: You might want to consider his two other books too. "Steel Inferno" and "The Devils Adjudant" dealing with Normandy and The Bulge

Helge