MAD-DOG MOD PACK 1 RELEASED!!! GO GO GO!!!!!!!! CMHQ!!!!!!!!!!+I GOT MINE TODAY!!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

What a mother of a day!

i got a new Geforce II 64mb card today and when I got home, BOOYA CM was waiting for me like a patient lover!

I booted it up, fired up the FSAA and just said WOW, over and over..So to celebrate i have decided to release the Mad-Dog Mod Pack 1 for your consumption!

Its got graphics and sounds and fun for the whole family...Here is a just a sample of what you will find..

New Hi-Res Grass textures

New Hi-Action Sound Effects

New Trees

New Jagdpanther

New Winter Camo Hetzer

New Improved Brush Terrain Tiles

and MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE!

Also, even if you dont want to download the MDMP pack you may want to have a look at the MDMP page as I have also provided a link to a zip file which contains two re-done BMP files which correct graphics issues that squeeked by the discerning eye of the loser who was Q&A'ing the graphics for the final version...Umm that would have been me. eek.gif The graphic patch is only 50k and doesnt CHANGE the two graphics in question, it just fixes um! There was a couple of miscolored pixels is all!

So have a look, read the handy dandy README, that I have included and then download the pack that is right for your speed connection! We recommend the FULL INSTALL of course!

Take Care and Enjoy...Comments welcome but If I dont like what you have to say I will probably just tell you to 'BITE ME!' wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-19-2000).]

WoW !

I thought it would be a while before we saw your mod pack. I'm not used to this treatment... the day it arrives I will be downloading a patch and mod pack. Absolutely no time "wasted" with unpatched CM.

Seriously cool mod pack guys! Thanks. Now off to the mailbox...

citizen

citizen, why don't you go ahead and download them now. Just save them to a safe place and a place you can easily remember so you don't have to waste any time when you get your game.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Guest Madmatt

44 is correct and thats what they will sound funky in the demo...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Yeah, but I'm smart enough to know that they don't work in the deno. The sounds in the demo are only 22kHz. Remember, pretty damn close to Genius. smile.gif

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Hi Madmatt and crew. I like the graphics patch alot. Great job! However, I think the sound file needs a minor tweak (personal opinion here). Some of the explosions sound like they have too much of a "hiss" in them like they are oversampled. Otherwise, the others are good. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks and I cant wait to see the other vehicle graphics!!

TeAcH

------------------

"Ah-ah, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5. Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?"

Great job MadMatt and KwazyDog on MDMP-1. Thanks for your time on the mods.

MadMatt - couple of questions on your new GeForce 64Mb... how's the speed and image

compared to your previous TNT2 Ultra, especially with the 4X FSAA ? Is the 4X FSAA worth the speed hit ? Would you rate your new card a worthwhile upgrade or is the difference minimal (I know... a bit of a subjective question there) ?

Guest Madmatt

If you could list the wav filename of the explosions I will have a look/listen. Most of them are just BASS BOOSTED versions of the originals while others were taken from from variety of sources...

Also you will notice that they sound alot different IN GAME then they do just playing them back with winamp...

Asd please dont stick them into the demo as they have this nasty habit of playing abck at 50% speed! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

Ok Geforce Questions...

Is it worth it?

Well depends what you have now. I went from a TNT2 Ultra and I would say that NO, 450 dollars is not a sensible amount of money to drop for this upgrade! Then why did I do it? Well I am not a sensible person and I had a ****ty day at work and just wanted to treat myself to something cool!

How is the FSAA implementation? Well I play all my games at 1024x768 or 1280x960 now and at those hig resolutions I really dont get any jaggies anyway although I really didnt notice much if any speed decrease oddly enough and it was deffinatley working as I took comparision screenshots! Seems neat in theory but in practice I just didnt see that much of an difference.

The newest leaked 5.30 Nvidea drivers allow 8 levels of FSAA (nine if you count level ZERO!) but only at resolutions of 1024 and below do you really notice the jaggies (or need it to use FSAA)...

Image Quality- Immediately noticable improvement! Colors are more vivid and more rich!

Speed- YEAH HUGE increase. On my P3 600 and TNT2U, CM would start to slow down somewhat in some of the denser maps. Thick trees are frame rate killers and the MDMP trees are no better or worse, in fact I believe they are all the same size as the originals, just prettier! wink.gif You will notice the greatest impact while rotating the camera. Well, not any more and all the old shimmering (texture swimming) in terrain views is long gone as well! In this aspect the card deffinetly rocks!

Overall apprasial: I bought the most expensive video card I could find! Its got 64megs and I wont EVER tap its power.

For a hundred or so less I could have just gotten the standard 32 meg Geforce2 and been fine...

SO my reccomendation is YES get one but not neccasrily THIS one. IS it worth 400 bucks for 64megs? No

Is it worth 300 for 32megs? Yes

is FSAA all that cool? Hard to say at the resolutions that you can now have access too.

Do I love this card? OH HELL YA!

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing).]

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-19-2000).]

Hi Matt...have to agree with Teach on the explosion hiss. It's the one whenever a tank round, mortar or arty hits.

I'd also like to add that you guys did a great job on the others as well as the graphics addition. I had an infantry battle and the small arms fire and voices were very cool and more immersive. Keep up the great work!

Ghost

Guest Madmatt

Err I still need a wave file name/number please. There are several that can play when a mortar, tank round or arty hits. In fact those are all DIFFERENT!!!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

I would say they are 00000200 and 00000201.

Again, my opinion only. During the game, they seem to stand out from the others based solely on the hiss, or crackle in the explosion. I thought that perhaps the sound file included a dirt and sand shower post explosion effect, but I wasnt sure if that was the intent. It still sounded "hissy" to me.

Thanks again for a superb mod. Cant wait to see more tanks. That STUG is downright impressive. Are you guys tinkering with the models at all or is it simply a texture mapping tweak.

TeAcH

------------------

"Ah-ah, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5. Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?"

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 06-20-2000).]

Hey madmatt and company,

I usually don't do this but your sound packs are great! I only got number one just to see if it was worth it. Man, you can totally tell the difference and the improvement, it adds so much to the immersion. (and I only had #1!) So thanks again for the work just to make my favorite game even better.

Guest Madmatt

Teach,

I had a listen to 200 and 201 and I *think* I can tell what you are talking about but on my sound rig really all I notice is a loud BOOM (subwoofers really help). The orginal explosion sound DID have a great deal of debris being thrown about in those explosions and that is what you are hearing. I will see if there is anything I can do to deaden that 'hiss' some more but it is sorta intentional...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-21-2000).]

Matt...

I went throught the files yesterday also and it is much harder to discern the hiss and crackle in Windows compared to what I hear in the game.

00000200 and 00000201 sound like they might be the ones but it is really noticeable in the game.

FYI I have a SB Live with a 5 point surround including a subwoofer.

Also, do you know if it's possible to lower the ambient sound volume in the game compared to the actual battle sounds?

Ghost

Guest Madmatt

Hmm, thats the EXACT same sound rig as I have! And no the ambient sound would need to be re-edited in order to make it 'quiter'. You could do that with a decent sound editing program that handles large wave files as the ambient sounds are quite large...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest smbutler

Matt,

I've downloaded and installed the graphics files sans grass, and they are excellent. Thanks tons!

I'm thinking about doing the grass, but I'd like to see what the effects would be first.

Have you posted a screen shot on CMHQ yet?

Also, and this will reveal how tech illiterate I am-- would the new sound files

put any additional strain on my system (i.e. slow things down)? I've got a CMX-300 with 64 megs of Ram,a Soundblaster sound card,but I'm not sure of the version Turning off the sound does make things go more smoothly, but it still runs fine with the sound on.

[This message has been edited by smbutler (edited 06-22-2000).]