Infantry vs. tanks up really close.

In one scenario my brave infantry (no Panzerfaust left) was trying to subdue a sherman (the platoon had taken out like four tanks already so who knows if anybody had grenades or anti tank mines (no demo charges either). Well they immobilized the tank, and then I decided that to move one squad to safety (it was in the open) that it was best to move it right next to the tank so I carefully (with units set on reality size) plotted a course for the infantry to be in the rear quarter of the tank to one side (not in front)....they made it! which means if you cowered really close (and since the tank's turret was firing at another infantry squad in front anyways) you would live.

Instead after a little bit (not being broken) they made for the trees in front of the tank and thereupon got broken and died....hmmmmmmmm

I'm not surprised that they bolted. I don't think too many infantry would be willing to sit next to a tank that was still firing, even if it were immobilized. And in the game itself, a functional tank (i.e., even if immobilized) is transparent. In other words, it doesn't provide cover or concealment for LOS. So, to your troops, there wasn't any cover or concealment being provided by the tank. They bolted, and unfortunately went the wrong way.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

I was just reading in "Citizen Soldiers" by Stephen Ambrose, how a US soldier ran up to a german tank and fired a rifle-grenade down the barrel. What *ucking balls did that guy have!

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

true true, but an immobile tank is something

you'd rather be up close to rather than far

way, especially if you can get below the

fireing arc of the tank, i.e. right next to

it (its a sherman so it has a really high

turret profile). If you are right next to it, you can almost take your time (ok ok, I'd be nervous) and Shermans don't have those

grenade thingys that the german tanks have.

coe, do you mean the Narvdgfudfvnfdjgnhamsteropweomcvbdwaffejob by any chance. i agree tanks should provide cover in the game esp if the tank was abandoned. maybe with yours the brave TC popped a hatch and rolled a grenade down to your troops (or used a hamster to chase them)

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>maybe with yours the brave TC popped a hatch and rolled a grenade down to your troops (or used a hamster to chase them)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hamsters make devilishly good AT weapons if the user can open up a turret hatch. Some infantry squads were trained with the more complicated ferret, which could cause extreme discomfort among the crew. In some cases, a pair of rodents, if properly, uh, "equipped", could make life extremely unpleasant for the crew of the tank over a long period of time as the normal excrements of their offspring fouled up the air. This also made the TC more vulnerable, as the crew was less likely to button up under such conditions.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest Germanboy

Hmm, hiding next to a semi-operational, transparent enemy tank in the open. Why does that not sound like a good idea to me? even without hamsters or other assorted rodents, your guys may well be doomed.

------------------

Andreas