possible targeting problems

I created a scenario with 28 Nashorns facing off against 28 fireflys. Both sides tanks were in a straight line in open ground with no hills or other terrain variations. I played this three times just hitting the 'GO' button and three times giving the nashorns specific targets(namely the tank directly across from them) The three times I didn't assign the Germans targets resulted in all the Nashorns being destroyed each time and allied losses of 13,14,and 13 fireflys.

When I gave the Germans specific targets it resulted in all the Germans being killed and allied losses of 21, 20, and 28 tanks.

I don't know what is happening, but it seems the AI was problems assigning good targets.

Both sides were Elites.

The reason for choosing nashorns and fireflys was I had been seeing what german tanks could stand up to Fireflys in a straight shoot out. After being frustrarted with the Germans seeming inability to hit the British I decided to give each tank a target rather than let them choose their own.

Your test doesn't prove what you claim. The AI is not going to instruct each Nashorn to fire at the Sherman directly opposite it - it will decide on a worthy target using a lot of different criteria.

There's no surprise you achieve better results by giving them specific orders. Consider that when the Nashorns are picking their own targets, they won't pick one each - you'll get two or three firing at one Sherman, while other Shermans aren't being targetted at all.

There is a statistical tradeoff between killing all of the Shermans as quickly as possible, and killing each one as quickly as possible. To achieve the latter, you would target all your Nashorns at one Sherman at a time. To achieve the former, you would target them all at one Sherman each, as you are doing.

What you've ascertained is that if the Nashorns pick one Sherman each and don't overlap, they will minimise the Shermans' edge. But statistically it's highly unlikely they'll pick one each unless you specifically order them to, so without orders the Shermans have more of an edge.

It's also likely that, given orders, the Nashorns open fire slightly quicker. All this doesn't constitute a problem with the AI. However, if the AI fared no worse when left to its own devices, that would be a problem. In other words, you've proven that the AI is realistic.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Guest Michael emrys

Another consideration is that the Nashorn is very lightly armored, only splinter shields really. They aren't intended to stand up in a slugging match against any medium tank, especially a Firefly.

The Nashorn was intended as a long-range sniper. Shoot from cover; get a kill or two; then bug out.

So it's not surprising that they faded fast in the particular test that you set up. Any Firefly that survives its first hit has a good chance of making a couple of kills, as your statistics suggest.

Michael