Civillians?

Is there any possibility of seeing "Non-combatants" introduced in CM2? It would be great to see civillians clogging roadways as they flee their homes as your troops approach. What about Victory Point deductions for civilians killed, or additions for civilians protected (from destruction by enemy forces). This would fit in Great with CM2.

What about Soviet Partisan units?

I think CM has spoiled me, and now I WANT IT ALL IN THERE! CM has raised the bar so much I don't think I'll be satisfied with any other WWII game.

frown.gif

Phandaal

I was reading some of the replies by BTS that civilians were militarily insignificant.

Granted in the scope of a small battle yes, but the Germans counted on fleeing cilivians causing congestion on the back roads there by delaying reinforcements.

I guess in small battles modeling civilians wouldn't be worth the time, but I still think it would be COOL to see civilians running out of town as you approach with your tanks. smile.gif

One factor to consider is turn processing time and computing power requirements. I'm upgrading, but even with a new processor, I'd rather not see an increase in the amount of time to process a turn because of civilian representation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phandaal:

...the Germans counted on fleeing cilivians causing congestion on the back roads there by delaying reinforcements.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they're fleeing within 3-4 km of the front line, they're too late... and those that remain within that zone are huddled in basements. There are many instances of the latter (with the battle raging upstairs) but, again, militarily insignificant.

Guest Big Time Software

I think the question has been answered well smile.gif

Civilians are militarilly insignificant at CM's scale. So right there we shouldn't put them in. And even if there is a tiny bit of relevance, there are far better things to do with the CPU and 3D card than have panicked civilians running about. Plus, knowing some of the guys here... they would go out of their way to gun them down wink.gif

Soviets will have Partisan units for sure.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Plus, knowing some of the guys here... they would go out of their way to gun them down wink.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You better believe that smile.gif I'm no liberator... just a war machine. I'd shell the houses and buildings with quality arty then have Shermans waiting outside as the terrified people run from their burning homes. hee hee...

<BTW, it should not be inferred from this post that the author condones real life violence which is uncalled for. biggrin.gif >

I want horses. Horse drawn transport (yeah, okay, I know that within the scale of the game, they wouldn't be of much importance).

And cows, lots of cows. I keep reading these books, and they all have pictures of slaughtered cows in them. Cows must have been extremely dangerous on this front, because both sides seemed to have killed them with wild abandon. smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

What will happen to partisans after fighting?

And with that I mean CM can let soldier

surrender to the troops who attack them.

I cannot imagine that SS soldiers would take partisans as prisoners. the SS had a standard policy regarding partisans and political officers.

They just kill them all.Looks nice in the game after retreating all the prisoners you have taken hanging in trees.Or am I going to far now.

Both the Russians and Germans had cavalry on the Eastern front. The Germans used them for mobility in the Pripet marshes area and usually fought as Infantry, but the Russian Cossacks did attack mounted in the early years. So will we get Cossack cavalry charges in CM2?

I can see hardware limitations as a good reason not to include civilians, and (personally) I think the opportunity to gun down refugees would be both "gamey" and morally vile.

But it would be interesting to see a simple statistic at the end of a battle that gave an estimate of civilian casualties caused by your side and the other. This could be based on buildings destroyed, use of artillery in built up areas, and perhaps a population density factor set by the scenario designer. It might be a sobering and realistic addition to the atmosphere of the game.

I can agree with that Martyr. I don't think I need to gun down civillians to have fun in a game.

It is a good idea to just have a body count of civilian casualties due to the operation of your forces in that city sector. It would give you a real sense that soliders aren't the only people who suffer in war. But, I don't know how you could tabulate something that doesn't exists. It would be totally arbitrary. 1 house equals 5 civilians destroyed. I think that would lead unrealistic body counts in the game. And I'd rather not see something in the game for the sake of having it. It really needs to have a point.

Honestly, when playing the demo, that last thing on my mind is "Where are the civilians!?" smile.gif