Friendly Fire?

It depends on the time of day and the weather. Fog and night will cause your troops to do some strange things. I have had MGs open up on my own squads...AFVs firing BACK toward positions they just came from...etc.

Is there friendly fire in CM I wonder?

Have had squads positioned in a line like:

X-------A--B

Where squad A and B have been firing at the same target(X). B have been shooting "through" squad A, with no penalty at all...at least thats what it looked like to me.

Also did a test with a flamethrower tank which did some area fire. Then I ordered some infantry to walk through that area...and guess what...thay walked right through the flames without twinkling an eye.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michlos:

I seem to recall that if you get your troops to target an area instead of an enemy unit, they will stop firing if a friendly units comes in the the line of fire.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience is the opposite of yours. I made the mistake of walking several units into locations receiving friendly area fire and learned the hard way that it was a quick way to acquire casualties.

Michael

Units should stop firing if friendlies enter their target area, but that assumes they notice the friendlies. Don't try this at night - your men won't be able to tell who's shooting, and may return fire.

David

------------------

Major General Maxwell Taylor found himself with several officers but only two or three enlisted men. "Never," he told them, "have so few been commanded by so many."

I had a situation where some guys from one platoon advanced to where their were Germans directly in front of them. Also in front of them and 45 degrees to the right, were some friendlies firing at the Germans, about 75m off. They opened fire on the friendlies for a few seconds - no casualties - before the idiot Wehrmacht guys fired at them and drew their attention.

Anyone had friendly fire vehicle casualties?

Giftig wrote:

> Anyone had friendly fire vehicle casualties?

I can't find the thread, but I remember someone talking about their American vehicular force (maily halftracks I think) practically wiping itself out in the dark.

------------------

Major General Maxwell Taylor found himself with several officers but only two or three enlisted men. "Never," he told them, "have so few been commanded by so many."

Well, in the scenario "One Long Cold Day"

I had my American tanks advancing across the open ground, firing at a German AT position about 600 meters away. The rear-most Sherman sprayed MG fire ahead of him and killed the tank commander of the tank in front of him, and buttoned up the other one

I knocked out one of my own Panthers playing the Stoumont campaign last night.

I had advanced to the top of the ridge over-looking Stoumont, lined up 4-5 Panthers on it and proceded to shell the town. After a good 5-6 turns of this i decided to send a couple of tanks down the ridge towards the town. As one of the tanks made its way down it came into contact with a US infantry unit and started to open fire. With me zoomed in on the tank, all of a sudden it got knocked out. I was puzzled as to how this had happened as a could see that the infantry squad hadn't thrown anygrenades/charges and no bazooka units were nearby. Playing back the video revealed that one of the Panthers i had left on top of the ridge had also spotted the infantry squad and with a yellow fire line passing right through my tank it let off a shell which hit the Panther from the rear knocking it out. The crew got out of the tank and then were promptly dispatched by the infantry. Ya gotta love this game! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 09-10-2000).]

Worce case I've seen is A squad shot itself. I had a squad firing area fire as it advanced (at night, in fog) into a heavy building.

During the turn I hear a sound like a richochet, and one of the squad goes down. Bizarre. I confirmed with Cueball that none of his troops were firing or near the building at the time, and none of my other squads were shooting at the time

------------------

Wojorider

Its a great day to kill a Hun

Guest Michael emrys

I posted a couple months ago that I thought there was far too much shooting going on in the game with friendly units in the line of fire. It was a standard part of fire discipline to hold or check fire when friendly units were identified in the line of fire. This is not to discount the fact that friendly fire incidents did happen, but that the vast majority of them were due to misidentification or to the firing units being simply unaware that there were friendlies in the vicinity. You did *not* deliberately aim fire through friendlies. Nevertheless, I see that all the time in the game. One thing I've tried to do is to arrange my units on the battlefield so that each will have a clear field of fire towards any known or suspected enemy locations (a good practice in any event), but this isn't always possible or practical.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaKilnGuy:

Freindly fire is discussed in the rule book on page 67.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you mean the section on Misses? This is a different, though somewhat related, issue. We're talking about fire into or through terrain presently occupied by visible friendly units.

Michael

There is also a friendly fire risk with MGs due to the grazing fire property. Grazing fire affects all units along the line between the MG and the selected target. This can kill friendly troops in the line of fire--ask me how I know smile.gif

NOTE: the area of effect of grazing fire is somewhat wider than just the tracer stream you see graphically. So not only don't cross the line of fire, but don't stand right next to it, either.

BTW, I think the above is maybe how the triple-MG pillboxes work. I recently stumbled on one in the deep woods with a full platoon on line (once again paying the price for inadequate scouting...) Anyway, the pillbox only targeted the squad on the left end of the line. However, ALL units in the platoon took massive casualties each time the tracer flew at this 1 unit. So I figure the 3 MGs are handled as 1 with a very wide area of effect.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 09-10-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

...ask me how I know smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know?

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I believe you mean the section on Misses? This is a different, though somewhat related, issue. We're talking about fire into or through terrain presently occupied by visible friendly units.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Micheal, The section on misses is exactly what I'm talking about. Can't get much bye you.

"--,this might mean that a missed projectile ends up somehwere behind the missed target in the ground or, if the round is fired too short, in front of it.", "If a round which missed the intended target sails further and lands near another unit, damaged is assed as if the unlucky target was the intended one.".

This is obvioulsy what happened to Manx's panther as per his post 9-9-00 11:48.

Would that not be called friendly fire?

Thats it, send me a setup.

------------------

Hot enough for ya'?

DaKilnGuy