New Scenarios

Based on what little experience I have with CMBO at present (the demo only), I'm thinking I would like to see a few very small unit scenarios. This stems from what is probably a typical newbie's problem of having too much going on at one time to keep track of everything (as the demo readme says, this will take care of itself with time and experience, though). Still I think it would be cool to have a few engagements that perhaps have something the size of a platoon only. With that in mind, I plan to develop a number of scenarios based on Canadian (and maybe others in time) participation/actions along the "Maple Leaf Trail" once I get the full blown version (i.e. once the backorder items are shipped). The main premise of these will be that you can "attach" yourself to the platoon HQ using Camera position #1, and in a way, "put yourself there" as the unit fulfills its missions. Command and giving orders will be very much more difficult of course, but that is part of the idea. Since I'm still new at this, some scenarios will be very lopsided, some perhaps not that exciting, and others may be near impossible to win, but along the way I hope to learn what makes a good scenario as well as making it more realistic, again based on very small unit tactics. I would be most happy to post these if there is enough interest, but please keep in mind that many may not be up to the excellent standards that other folks have produced here. The real "difference" to these may be that the battles and movements are very much more localized than the "typical" scenario, and the fog of war very much more "in your face". Anyway, comments are most welcome and once I get the sim in my hands and figure out how to make scenarios, I'll work on some of these ideas and then let you folks know when they are available.

Glenn

A couple points:

A platoon of soldiers is 3 squads and a HQ. Since most platoons cost about 200 points (a lot of german platoons are sub/low 100's). That isn't even the lowest QB setting.

The full game is a lot different then the demo, in terms of single player options. There are tons of scenarios/operations/battles, and the highly playable Quick Battles (The majority of PBEM's), so I would suggest you give the full game a go before you start planning scenarios based on your experience with the demo.

Personally I like having a good force behind me, atleast 800 points. But that is just me. Everyone has different tastes and I am sure your small scenarios would appeal to people with similar tastes.

There is a really cool small battle, with the red devils. I forget the scenario name atm, but basically you have 3 platoons of British Paratroopers, on a covert night mission to take a bridge. You need to knock out the local garrison guarding the town next to the bridge. I suggest this only because, in my mind, that is the smallest scale CM was ment to be played on.

Not trying to knock your idea, but if the inspiration stems from being overwhelmed from the demo, that will pass with a few scenarios.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback here. Yeah, I can see your point about waiting until I've played the full version before designing anything here based on the demo. That makes a lot of sense. I'll also check out the scenarios mentioned as well on this.

Let me revisit the idea in about a month or so once I've recieved the full package and have had a chance to play a few scenarios. Thanks guys,

Glenn