Armor quality formula?

I have done a search & have interpreted that 85% armor quality means that the armor is really only 85% as thick as listed when determining penetration (clam down Capt), i.e...100mm @ 85% quality = 85mm.

Is that correct or am I lost? Can someone please clarify. Thanks.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

You are correct.

Personally I don't mind the armor quality thing if it atleast varied a bit. EVERYTIME I buy Panthers I always get the 85% quality ones. Waz'zup wit dat?

Jeff

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it would be very nice to get Panthers (and other tanks with below par armor quality) with varying armor quality ratings. I have understood that in reality every Panther was very much an individual when armor quality was considered.

Sometimes some of the German factories had all the needed raw materials to produce first-class Panthers, sometimes they hadn't. Some production batches were made of below bar alloys and some weren't. Some Panthers could bear unbelievable punishment and some couldn't.

The bad news was that the tanker in front line couldn't know how tough his tank was before it was hit.

Someone in another thread already suggested that the armor quality ratings should be randomized in certain scope with certain tanks. I strongly support that suggestion.

Ari