Puma Plethora...

It seems that given the fact that I read that only 100 Pumas were produced, and most were insrevice on the eastern front that there sure are alot of those puppies prowling around in CM scenarios. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting allied tanks w/ 'em in bocage. I know it has been discussed previously, but hopefully CM2 will have a unit purchase point system based on historic availability of units. Then again, who cares. Go nuts, make a Puma Battalion! (or a Maus battalion for that matter.)

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder:

maus??

ain't we gots enuf rodents around...darn things is leavin' their lil stinky "pills" all over the place tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, french humor. You frogs kill me!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

(or a Maus battalion for that matter.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the Maus isn't part of the CM roster. Neither is the Tiger E.100, or any of the other experimental tanks for 1945/46. The Pershing didn't make it either. I know the Allies had other goodies on the way as well.

I think the Germans were demonstrating a sense of humour when they named that tank the mouse instead of the mammoth or T.Rex.

The Maus would make an effective road block, don't you think? Esp. if it's in a Y - shaped intersection, covering two roads at once...

Then to block traffic I suppose we could just park it across the road, nothing could get through, even after the maus is out of commission.

biggrin.gif

I'd love to see those heavy tanks in a mud scenario, they wouldn't get very far.

I wonder if there are weight allowances on bridges, before the things collapse?

Guest grunto

I try to make armored car platoons with:

3 psw234/1

1 psw234/2 (Puma)

1 psw234/3

I don't know if this is realistic but at least it is an attempt at 'toning down' the number of Pumas.

The real gratification in this game comes when a PSW 234/1 takes out a vehicle or two.

There were Lynx and there were Puma but let's face it; the PSW234/1 was the backbone of the recon during the war, at least to my understanding.

Andy

Guest grunto

I stand (sit) corrected. According to ASL, only 200 PSW234/1s were built. The main armored cars were the PSW231 series. I suppose they will be modelled in CM2.

Andy

Actually 101 smile.gif . Only two Panzer Divisions in NW Europe had Pumas; Panzer Lehr had 26 and 2nd Panzer had 25 (source; 'La Panzer Lehr Division', J-C Perrigault). Can't remember which two Eastern front units had the other 50 but I seem to think 'Encyclopedia of German tanks of WW2' by Chamberlain and Doyle mentions them.

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The Pershing didn't make it either. I know the Allies had other goodies on the way as well.

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both the Pershing and Super Pershing are in the game. You may want to check WHEN you are trying to buy them as they only become available late in the war.

When I asked Charles why he included the Super Pershing when only 2 or so (IIRC) were actually in Europe he said, and I quote "They are COOL!"

Seems reasonable... biggrin.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-13-2000).]

I also think that it would be fun to have a scenario with a Maus. But make them so outrageously expensive that you wouldn't see them in QB pbem games. Perhaps in CM2, as the Russians have always claimed they encountered their Kublinka specimen in combat. However, I doubt we'll ever see it. Not enough evidence to be worth the coding probably. But you could definitely plug up a bridge with one. Just like a cork. That is, if the bridge could hold it.

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 08-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

I try to make armored car platoons with:

3 psw234/1

1 psw234/2 (Puma)

1 psw234/3

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like using the same units in a recon platoon/company. I also usually include 1 or 2 of the halftracks w/ 20mm and 75mm. Makes for a fast force for seizing objectives or flanking mauevers.

------------------

Personaly I'd like to see the Panther F in CM it was actualy produced,in 1945 and controversy still exits whether or not some Ausf.F's were used in the defence of Berlin.

Its got a kewl looking narrow turret as well and a 7.5 cm Kw.K 42 L/70 w/o the muzzle break to biggrin.gif.

Regards, John Waters

---------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-13-2000).]