British Tanks {plz help}

Hello, I have a rather simple question. I know alot of info on ww2, but as I was designing a scenario I found that this was my most common problem! Which tanks were more common on the British and Canadian side, Sherman II's III's or V's, and what firefly (1 firefly for every 4 shermans?) mark was most common.

Thank you for any advice as it would make my scenario a little more realistic!

Guest Germanboy

Hi, can't help you on the numbers now, but there is a very good website about UK armour that I put a link up to in a thread about crocodiles and wasps and how often they appeared earlier. Try searching for that.

For the Firefly, AFAIK it was one per troop of tanks, not only Sherman tanks in the tank regiments (note that the armoured div's Recce Regiment would have Cromwells only, maing it in effect another tank regiment, but no Fireflies). So you would have troops consisting of 1 Firefly and 3 Cromwells or 1 Firefly and 3 Churchills. There would be no Fireflies in HQ Troops, again AFAIK. This is all off the top of my head, my books are somewhere else.

------------------

Andreas

The Recce regiments of the 7th and 11th Armoured divisions (8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars and 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry respectively) had their Firefly’s replaced with Challengers in September 1944 for the 11th and July 1944 for the 7th. The whole point of the Challenger was to give Cromwell armed units a 17pdr Cromwell but they had some problem’s putting the bloody things together so Firefly’s were pressed into service in the recce regt’s as a stop gap measure.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 08-10-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Bastables obviously knows a lot more about the topic than I do, and I am deeply embarassed to have shot off my mouth, and shall no go back to continue talking about hamsters in you-know-where.

------------------

Andreas

UK (and Commonwealth) received the following numbers of Shermans:

M4 (Sherman I) - 2,096

M4A1 (Sherman II) - 942

M4A2 (Sherman III) - 5,041

M4A3 (Sherman IV) - 7

M4A4 (Sherman V) - 7,167

M4(105) (Sherman IB) - 593

M4A1(76)W (Sherman IIA) - 1,330

M4A2(76)W (Sherman IIIA) - 5

So the Sherman V, III and I would seem to be the most common.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 08-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Bastables obviously knows a lot more about the topic than I do, and I am deeply embarassed to have shot off my mouth, and shall no go back to continue talking about hamsters in you-know-where.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? don't worry man biggrin.gif you have it all correct, I just like the challanger thats all smile.gif. Old John Waters knows this as well when he met my super Troop of 5 cromwells and one challanger mhahaha. Thought that Hertzer was safe eh smile.gif

Actully I lied. It's two understrength troops. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Eh? don't worry man biggrin.gif you have it all correct, I just like the challanger thats all smile.gif. Old John Waters knows this as well when he met my super Troop of 5 cromwells and one challanger mhahaha. Thought that Hertzer was safe eh smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL yes they keep shooting APDS at my poor lil PzKpfw IV's & Hetzer's. He sacraficed 2 cromwells to get my Hetzers wink.gif.

I think he has some inf somewhere to but their all hideing or makeing tea, while his fleet of ACs & tanks blast my poor landsers at range biggrin.gif.

Regards, John Waters

---------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

ROFL yes they keep shooting APDS at my poor lil PzKpfw IV's & Hetzer's. He sacraficed 2 cromwells to get my Hetzers wink.gif.

I think he has some inf somewhere to but their all hideing or makeing tea, while his fleet of ACs & tanks blast my poor landsers at range biggrin.gif.

Regards, John Waters

---------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-10-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pish posh mate biggrin.gif all of your PIV were killed by 2pdr A/C. And I'll think you'll find all of your Infantry are running due to the superb 25pdr batty's I have, that have the neat new VT fuze lol. Tea? Just like the APDS rounds were up to our necks in the stuff.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah the ways of the English...

Private: Sarge, there are enemies abroad in the woods.

Sgt.: Not too worry lad, call Bloopy at RHQ and ask for a Mike Target on 25167987. Now get your tot of rum.

(197 25pdr. batteries open up within 10 sec)

Private: Sarge, there are some more and they are getting closer.

Sarge: Not too worry lad, there must be tanks somewhere here, Tonky is over there, tell him to deal with it. Have a cuppa.

(2 tank regiments open up)

Private: Sarge, the pathetic remnants of what once was a proud division are now within 200 yards.

(Sergeant downs his tea, gets up)

Sgt.: Fix Bayonets! Charge! Jerry does not like cold steel.

(25 Hamsters, and 3 Landsers fall victim to the last charge. Victoria Crosses alround).

------------------

Andreas