BIG TIME UPDATE! CMHQ-Annex New Section and Sneak Peak of Mad-Dog Mod Pack!!!Mod Pack

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

On the CMHQ-Annex is a new section hosting Fionn's new monthly Trivia challenge quiz! For June he offers 10 questions which will be sure to tax your general WWII knowledge and identification skills! So check it out and put your mind to the test.

On CMHQ, we offer up a sneak peak of a new project that will be sure to rock the CM world for the better!

Many people know Dan "Kwazydog's" Oldings awesome work on the textures but he hasn't stopped there. He has been hard at work with new Hi-Resolution textures of vehicles, terrain and more. Bil Hardenberger has also been working on some awesome Winter Camo textures as well as a new infantry face or two and yours truely has been tweaking and working on a whole new set of sound samples!

So head over to CMHQ for all the details and a sneak peak at what awaits you in the Mad-Dog Mod Pack 1!!!!!!!

Madmatt!

ONLY THE BEST BABY!!!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-05-2000).]

Okay, so call me a chowderhead, but I'm not sure, do you need anything special(more RAM...) to use the Mods?(CM, of course smile.gif ) Do they replace the old graphics completely or what? Same question with the sounds, too? Wonderful idea, regardless, gentlemen.

------------------

No matter where you go, there you are.

Guest Madmatt

The textures are not resolution specific but aimed at Video Cards with more than 16megs of ram but will still work on older video cards but you may notice some slow down. In tests with our Tnt2's Dan and I have noticed NO frame rate decrease.

Some of these (graphics) are direct replacements of existing graphics (and these are about as official as you can get since they are FROM THE GUY WHO DID MANY OF THE ORIGINALS).

The sounds will replace the existing ones and the Winter Camo textures wont overwrite anything! Hehehe you will see! wink.gif

Only downside is that we dont have (YET!) the means to convert to Mac Resource files but we are looking into that too...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

We are not worthy, we are not worthy (appropriate sychophancy) [Well yes we are, so lay it on Bro'-looks great, can't wait]

JD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pc lovin' batard.......no Mac yet.......Figures frown.gif , I take it all back. mad.gif Since this a community I think that you should HOLD back release until we all can have it.......or better yet , do it for the mac FIRST (hey self interest always rules biggrin.gif)

Hey Colin see if you can help!

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 06-05-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

If anyone wants to volunteer their conversion skills or tools then I would be more than happy to do Mac Versions!!! I want to, I just don't know HOW!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

HUNDREDS!

Over 20meg, and more every week until we run out!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Posted this in another thread (Moon's site announcement), but it fits here too. On Moon's site, in the 'goodies', saw the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Did you know that although CM comes without winter camo graphics for your vehicles, the game engine provides an "empty" set of BMP files which will automatically be loaded if available for scenarios with SNOW?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zowie!

Here we go again with a little platform war. DON'T you guys realize that this is a PC world??? Think about it. How many Mac commercials do you see on TV?? There is just so much variety of hardware on the PC. With the Macs, you just have a small assortment of different processors. And what's with all the Sprockets and stuff??? Geez, talk about a pain in the ass. "Well, lets see, to run this game I need this version of Sound Sprockets, that version of Game Sprockets."

Hasn't the Mac Community figured out that its the software and not the hardware that makes things work?? Guess you guys didn't see "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Guest KwazyDog

Maximus, please dont. This wasnt really a platform war until you attempted to start one wink.gif

Guys, here is the bottom line. Matt, myself and from what I know Bil are all intel users. The closet Ive come to using a Mac is from selling them several years ago. smile.gif We DONT know how to convert these files to Mac, though we are MORE than happy to find out how.

So heres an idea guys. Instead of getting upset (errm, yup you Miyamoto wink.gif) at us for not having them yet converted to a Mac format, HELP US DO IT!!!!!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 06-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 06-05-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Instead of getting upset at us for not having them yet converted to a Mac format, HELP US DO IT!!!!!! smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Kwazy, Matt and Bil... just got a little carried away redface.gif . I didn't mean anything personal against you all by my out of place comments... it's just a little frustrating being a Mac user in a Windows-dominated world sometimes, and I guess I kinda boiled over a bit, so I apologize smile.gif Anyways, if I knew how to do the conversions, I'd be more than happy to, but I don't know much about that end... I do freelance graphics and publishing, but for print sources... I don't know how to convert Wintel files, etc. frown.gif

Guest Madmatt

No problem! I felt the same all those years ago with my Amiga.

But like we said, we are not abandoning Mac users we just don't know HOW to do the conversions at this point. So anyone has the know-how and would like to help ( and has a high speed connection) then we could use your help.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest KwazyDog

No worries at all Miyamoto, I do hear what you are saying. wink.gif I just wanted to make sure all you guys new that it will be available on the mac, we just need to find someone to help us get it converted smile.gif

Unfortauntely that is about the extent of my knowledge, hehe. I believe getting the BMPs across to the mac isnt the problem, getting it into the ermm, bin file is all that needs to be done. We will work it out Miyamoto Im sure. If anyone out there can provide us with any help, please email matt or myself smile.gif

Boy, you guys really get hyper, don't you! smile.gif

Converting PC files to MAC is very easy. A kind person in Germany has already written a free convertor utility you can download to your MAC. You then just drag and drop a single file or a group of files onto the icon and it will go through th conversion routine adding the resource fork. This should work just fine unless there is something really unusual about the CM file formats.

I'm sure some smart Applescript guy could automate it even more.

The convertor is -

Maconverter 1.1.2

located at...

http://home.main-rheiner.de/soft.rabbit/

The conversion isn't the tricky part, it's getting them into the resource files. Now, I would think a fairly straight forward program could do this (from my limited knowledge of Mac programming) The real trick is whether the BMP names on the PC side or equivalent to the resource numbers on the Mac side. If so, a Mac program could be written that would read the BMP file and convert it to a PICT (I believe quicktime can do that automatically, but I would have to check the quicktime APIs) Once that's done, it's just a matter of taking the name of the BMP file and replacing the resource of the same number. I'm not sure I have time to tackle this in the near future, but in a week or two I might be able to try if no one else can do it. I have to admit I never got much past 'hello world' in my Mac programming, but the graphics should be doable.

The sounds might be a little more tricky. I'm not sure if the Mac sound manager can nativly read WAV files, I'll have to check. I know there are utilities out there that can batch convert from WAV to the sound resource format. Once it's in this format, I would think it would just requre a similar replace as for the graphics....