Problems to access this site ?

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have problem accessing this site ? Very recently I have trouble doing it. My system crashes with an error message telling me of a conflict with a KERNEL32.DLL file. I have no clue what it is and what to do to correct it. I have tried several browser and the same applied for them all. Weirder is that some day it works fine and the next day it crashes. And so on. Today I have tried it on a public computer and the search function caused the system to crash.

So if someone could help. I cannot live without my daily CM news.

Thanks a lot.

Guest KwazyDog

Jeff, an error with the kernel32 is a pretty fundmental system error. I have no idea why it should just be happening with this site though, thats a strange one.

If it was my system, Id probably consider it time for the half yearly Windows 98 reinstall smile.gif That easier for some more than others I realise though.....

Thanks guys. I'll have a friend of mine redo the Win98 install as I'm scared to do it myself and lose some files, which happened already to the great diguise of my wife. I barely escaped death that day.

Reinstalling IE sounds easier though. But I don't get what that could help.

Thank you again.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Actually, this sounds similar to what I thought what was wrong with my computer in the1 last few days.

Actually there is a way to restore corrupted, deleted, or changed system files. If you go to Accessories, then System Tools, then System Information and then click on the Tools tab in the menu and then select "System File Checker" the computer will run through and check for the previously mentioned. The file 'user.exe' will most likely come up for no one really knows why, but if anything else pops up, then you can restore any of those files directly from the Win 98 CD from the 'Win98' folder on the CD. The files that are the system files are in files with a .cab extension, on my system they had a "Winzip" icon.

It's a hellava lot less frustrating than to re-install Win 98.

Note: However MY problem was with something which was loading in the systemtray or something, hell I still can't figure it out.

The only problem I have with this site, or any UBB site for that matter, is that I have to re-enter my name and password the first time in a browsing session. I didn't have that problem at first.

Guest Germanboy

Buy a Mac, spend more time playing CM instead of installing Windogs. Hehe, a friend of mine needs two systems on his machine, one to play and one to work and both don't run okay - I pity Microschrott users. Time to give my iMac a hug...

------------------

Andreas

"I pity Microschrott users. Time to give my iMac a hug..."

And it'll be hugging you right back in the wallet. How hard can it be to design a reliable OS when you make the hardware too? My PSX doesn't crash very often for that matter either...

Don't mean to start a flame war, but why don't you guys take a step back and realize that Windows has to run on a far more diversified variety of hardware than the Mac ever thought about. That's why the Mac will usually be playing catchup.

Both platforms have their strengths; it just irritates me when Mac users get all smug and start bashing other platforms. You made your choice; I'm happy you're enjoying it. Why not have a little tolerance and understanding for other's choices as well?

Rant mode off...

ianc

Guest tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

Don't mean to start a flame war, ....

ianc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then don't..... !!!!

Most of us are as passionate about our Macs as we are about CM!

and that's pretty darn passionate!

-tom w

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

So tell me about the HUGE diversity of Mac programs out there on the market compared to PC/Windows programs. wink.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

[And it'll be hugging you right back in the wallet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, no. I got my department to pay for it (now I am smug biggrin.gif). Apart from that, all I can say is that if you pay in peanuts you employ monkeys. That is as true in computers as elsewhere. But if you are happy with your machine, good for you. My friends who use Windows aren't. My friends who use Macs are. I don't see any need to start a flame war here.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Most of us are as passionate about our Macs as we are about CM!

and that's pretty darn passionate!

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said tom w

OB&G, I don't need any more games, I have Combat Mission!

And thanks again to BTS for making this. It has been fun waiting.

------------------

Andreas

What the heck is a .DLL file anyway? My Mac sure doesn't have them, and I don't see any reason why it should. I have had problems accessing the second page of this forum, though.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

Guest KwazyDog

A DLL (or Dynamic Link Library) is a library that windows has that comtains libraries for it to use. Macs wont have them becuase they dont run windows they run, ermm, Mac OS isnt it wink.gif

And please guys, lets stop the 'My PC is bigger than your PC' wars, hehe. Each to their own smile.gif

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

And please guys, lets stop the 'My PC is bigger than your PC' wars, hehe. Each to their own smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn!! - You're right, I would lose that because my Mac is so much smaller than your PC... tongue.gif

------------------

Andreas

I must say that I'm looking forward, as a PC user, to by an Apple G4. All I need is the money because it's expensive and much more than a PC. All PC user have a variety of choice for any hardware, mother board, processor and stuff which makes the price of everything sink. Mac uses, as far as I know, only few, if not none, different hardware company. That's why it is so expensive. I know I could buy an IMac cheaper but I don't want any of those 15 inch tube. I want a 17 at least.

I guess in 1 or 2 year-time I'll will be able to afford a G4 and I'm really looking forward to it. As for games CM is the best so why bother playing anything else. What else do we need.

Thanks again OB&G for your advice.