I need advice on the use of mortars/artillery in CM.

I haven't been able to fire my mortars from a concealed position at a point target that's been identified by my troops in a manner that follows tactical reality. Any friendly element that has radio contact thru a HQ to a mortar/artillery should be able to forward observe/spot rounds so the mortars don't have to expose themselves to direct fire.

I used to be a mortar platoon leader and based on my experience the only thing that has changed since WWII in regards to mortars is the fire direction computer, which was just a plotting board.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve the results mentioned above. Too many of my 60mm mortarmen have been killed from direct fire as I manuever them to get an accurate fire mission on a known enemy position. I am aware of the area fire function, but I want more accurate fires. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

JASON A. BRIZIC

Former CPT, IN

Rifle/Mortar/AT/Plt Ldr.

2-327 INF, 101st ABN DIV 1996-2000

"NO SLACK"

I had a similar problem too. I had 4 mortar

teams within command distance of a hq unit.

(all had red lines to them) and were all max

10 yards away from the hq

The HQ had a clean line of site to the target

and I ordered all the mortars to fire

(all had orange lines to the target) - I

did this repeatedly - but for some reason

only 3 of the 4 mortars fired....in fact

throughout that scenario, no matter what that

4th mortar never fired....(yes the enemy was

farther than minimum range) even when the mortar itself had a direct LOS

Hey Coe, was the mortar taking any fire? I've had AT/Inf guns refuse to fire when they were being shot at (just says they're reloading forever). I guess this models the difficulty of aiming when you can't stick your head out around the gun shield. smile.gif

skullstacker6, you can use command units as spotters for on board mortars. You need to make sure the mortar is within the command radius of the HQ. As long as the HQ unit has LOS to the target, the mortar will be capable of direct fire. I like to place the HQ unit on the second story of a building and have him hide. Then I place my mortars behind the building or some other cover. I managed to knock out a few Stuarts in one scenario. I hope this helps. This topic is also covered in the manual. Thanks for protecting our country.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

No what it was- a platoon HQ on the roof

of asecond story building,

the mortars in the wheatfield below (there

was a hedgrow blocking enemy sight

of the mortars but the HQ had a clean sight)

All were elite btw,

the one that didn't fire was always ready

to fire.... maybe there is a limit as to the

no. of mortar HQ's can control...

too bad HQ's can't control vehicle mortar's

Make sure that 4th mortar crew still has a weapon. Mortar and machinegun crews can have their weapons knocked out and maybe you missed it.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.