min System and who plays with this????

Guest FUTURE

I have played the Gold Demo. What my question relates to is the fact that I dont have a 3d card. I have 32mb ram and a Pent 233. Does anyone else here play CM on a low spec system and how does it affect game play.. ?

I'm using a 233mhz, 64mb memory, and a 4mb video card. The game runs fine for me (although the larger battles do tend to slow it down, which is not unusual). The graphics are fine but lack fine detail. Building details (like doors and windows) and vehicle details (like bogie wheels) appear blurred when viewed close up (ie camera 1), but from a distance it's fine.

The only problem I have so far is when creating my own scenario... when I preview the map, everything is white. I can make out no details. I can barely see unit bases, and the lines denoting different zones.Can't see terrain features at all. It's something I can live with for a time, since I plan on upgrading my memory and video card within the next month.

Cheers Elros : I cant afford to upgrade my system at present frown.gif Trouble is I have seen some real good CM sites and the screenshots of the game make me want this game more and more smile.gif Plus all the mods for the game too biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUTURE:

I have played the Gold Demo. What my question relates to is the fact that I dont have a 3d card. I have 32mb ram and a Pent 233. Does anyone else here play CM on a low spec system and how does it affect game play.. ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had the exact same setup before upgrading, but with a 3D card(Voodoo2). Game ran fine, but you would need a 3D card for it to work with your system.

With a 233Mhz it won't run acceptably in software mode.

Sorry.

Voodoo2's are pretty cheap now, though.

BTW, did the gold demo run ok on your system? If so, are you sure that your video card doesn't have 3D acceleration?

I have it installed on my Dad's computer and sometimes play it when I visit him.

It is: P200, 32MB, Voodoo2 card

And it works great for smaller battles - larger ones are a bit tedious of course.

And FYI I just saw in the local Electronics Boutique where 3dfx is still selling their Voodoo2 card (a reissue maybe?) with some fancy packaging to match the other, newer cards, and for only $29.99!

If you can find one of those cards Future, you'd be set until you are in a position to upgrade your system.

Pham911 : yes the gold demo did run. I know I dont have a 3d card as I have tried to run 3D games to no avail.... frown.gif

LuckyShot : Is this price in Australian dollars as that where I am.. smile.gif

Ellros : mods are the things that attract me to a game smile.gif

------------------

Pham911 : yes the gold demo did run. I know I dont have a 3d card as I have tried to run 3D games to no avail.... frown.gif

LuckyShot : Is this price in Australian dollars as that where I am.. smile.gif

Ellros : mods are the things that attract me to a game smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the gold demo ran acceptably, then the full game will to. You must have something working for you with that setup for it to run playably.

Guest KwazyDog

Hiya Future wink.gif

Living in Aus I may be able to help you with pricing. Check out the following site.

http://www.computermarket.com.au/

Ive never ordered from them, but their prices seem reasonable, better than most PC stores. For instance they have an 8mb TNT2 Vanta card there for around the $79 dollar mark and for another $30 dollard the 16mb TNT2 M64, which is also a good buy. Ive had no experience with the brand they are selling, but I have run CM on a M64 card and it does run well.

KwazyDog ; cheers mate for the link. I will check them out... You may of saved Holly from the great round PC black hole known as the garbage bin smile.gif

Jeff : I thought you knew me better. wink.gif I like turn based games too. And what you said at CLUBSSI about CM being real time once the orders are issued hit a cord with me. No general micro managers his troops like they have to in CC. I still love CC. War gaming is about the fun factor for me. And CM is fun. Same as Talonsofts games (West Front/Rising Sun). So is CC. As to V. I hope they do frown.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by FUTURE (edited 09-27-2000).]

FUTURE, Isn't there some kind of systematic sale of used items in Australia? Where I live (Denmark) there are several ways to get hold of used items (dedicated magazines with ads, internet auctions, newsgroups, and friends ofc.).

You should be able to get an affordable used video card that would be outdated on a new system but would serve you well (e.g. an 8M card or perhaps a 16M card - I would not buy a new PC with less than a 32M 3D card today). Just make sure that your PC has a slot that fits with the card. These things change all the time.

To everone that replied. Cheers mates. You have all given me something to go with now... I do want to play CM. Not that I have bought the full version yet. Once I get Holly up spec'd i will be getting the game for sure... biggrin.gif

------------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At home I have a fine Athlon 500 w/ 128 Mo RAM and 32 Mo 3D Card... the game runs smoooooth as silk ! But that ain't the point...

I also sometime play at office with a PII 400, 64 Mo RAM and no 3D card (only 4 Mo or so of graphics memory): the game is only playable in 640*480 (in hardware mode !!), as soon as I try 800*600 or higher it takes 5 seconds just to select a unit !!! So buy a cheap 3D card, else you won't enjoy the game at its fullest.

Hey Ellros, you said:

==========================================

The graphics are fine but lack fine detail. Building details (like doors and windows) and vehicle details (like bogie wheels) appear blurred when viewed close up (ie camera 1), but from a distance it's fine.

==========================================

You play at your desk top resolution, so you can bump it way up, if your system will handle it.

I play it at 1600 x 1200, and it looks great!

Well, I'm running a PIII 600 with 256 Meg of RAM and a TNT2 Ultra AGP video card.

Just had to stick that in... wink.gif

Aloid

cm.jpg This is how it looks on my system. When the demo boots up it brings up a blue screen that say its checking for DirectX I think and then tells me the resolution it will be set at. It then goes through the screens to the game.. So maybe just a good cheap 3D card will do the trick. Plus the mods for the full game work with the demo too smile.gif

futurepic.jpg

------------------

Guest KwazyDog

The roads came out well actually wink.gif The grass as you can see has had to scale itself right back to fit into your cards memory.

Future, try to get at least a 16mb card if the budget will stretch that far, that should get you up and running nicley and give you room to put on a good selection of the higher res mods wink.gif

Dan

I put the flags/trees/red roofs/USA uniforms/Sherman graphics mods in the demo and it does change the look. smile.gif Now for that 16mb card ... Then i will have to buy the full game smile.giffuturepic.jpg

------------------