Endgame Debriefings (or lack thereof)

Hi.

Now I know everyone here agrees that Combat Mission contains one of the best wargame engines ever created, and I agree, but the complete lack of SOME substantial debriefing screen at the end is stunning. After I have completed a thrilling game of CM, I am left with the taps song and a screen that shows a few casualty numbers. C'mon! Give me SOMETHING else, anything, that can allow me to relive the harrowing plights that my soldiers had-their successes, defeats, etc. I believe Close Combat at the very least allows you to feel closer to your soldiers when you see all of the statistics of their kills, heroics, and so on. I think CM should be upgraded with some form of improved debriefings. Does anyone else agree or have any comments? Thanks.

Panzer101

Guest Germanboy

I alos think that more detailed debriefings would be nice, but in a different way from CC. I just would like to know how many vehicles I actually incapacitated and how that relates to the initial strength of OPFOR. In larger battles it would be nice to get a loss breakdown by platoon. Obviously not in operations in-between battles.

------------------

Andreas

It would be nice to see some sort of list of the best and worst performing units with their kills/captures following a battle. Perhaps comparing best Axis armor unit vs. best Allies Armor unit, Infantry vs. Infrantry, etc..

However, with BTS so responsive to other matters related to actual game play (off-raod speed and spotting, etc.) I feel perfectly happy to wait for de-briefing screens.

THANKS BTS for your interest and reponsiveness to our desires, want, wishes, etc..

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Panzer 101 said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think CM should be upgraded with some form of improved debriefings. Does anyone else agree or have any comments?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I back you 100%. What's given to us is not nearly enough. I'd like to see something much more detailed with a complete roster list of what survived and what didn't.

------------------

No, it can't wait till CM2.

I agree completely with this suggestion. It is always somewhat of a letdown after 30 turns of furious fighting to see the very bland end report screen when one craves specific information on how each unit did in reality.

Would love to get some feedback on this from BTS if possible. Any old tidbit would do like, it is likely to be improved in CM 2?

Regards

Jim R.

I would be happy if they would just clear the fog of war on the kill numbers. I enjoy moving around the battlefield after the game ends and checking on the surviving units, seeing what/where the enemy units actually were. That seems like it shouldn't take much, but I don't know how much coding it would actually take.

I couldn't agree more, and have lobbied in the past for exactly the same.

The problems and reasons why the current debrief indeed is inadequate are numerous. Among them is the fact that many enemy units have retreated off the map so you never know the composition of the enemy forces nor what kills etc that unit might have achieved. Kills remain unidentified even after the battle.

What would be even better than identified kills etc. would be adding the designation of the enemy vehicle, like, the kill score would say "1 M4(105) V-34"...etc. pp...currently the battle cannot be reconstructed....this has been talked about so many times...and frankly I am at a loss as to why it is not implemented...when in the early demo it was complained about, the explanation was that that's just the demo.

But here we are with this somewhat anticlimactic, leaving-you-wanting debrief in the full game.

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to this topic and making it an issue for BTS, an issue that their gaming community at the very least would like an answer to. If someone in authority would respond to this thread, it would be greatly appreciated by all.

Panzer101

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

…I just would like to know how many vehicles I actually incapacitated and how that relates to the initial strength of OPFOR. In larger battles it would be nice to get a loss breakdown by platoon. Obviously not in operations in-between battles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh gee Andreas that aint going to happen to me.. I'm more interested in how many of my troops I wacked with my own arty. =) or how many baguettes and bottles of wine your troops downed per minute. Not to mention your favorate flambé-o-hamster manouver, what temperature it was, etc...

Panzer 101, you have brought up a topic that is number one on my list (a very short list, I might add) of things I would like to see incorporated in this game.

Like any great movie or book, there is a beginning, middle, and end. The beginning (the briefing and setup phase) are head and shoulders above any other game I've played. The middle (the actual gameplay) needs no comment - words can't do it justice. That brings us to the end (the after action report). I don't know the technical reasons why we are left with such a paltry synopsis of, and I'm sure nearly 100% of Combat Mission gamers could agree on this, the most riveting computer gameplaying experiences of our lives. If there is a valid programming reason why this is so, then I can accept that, but if something can be done to give all of us a better sense of what we have just gone through, then I give it my wholehearted support. I urge anyone with similiar feelings to post on this thread in order to give BTS an idea of the strength of support ( or maybe lack of support) this idea has.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi all,

Well, we have no idea how much we will improve the AAR for CM2, but it will get some attention. Keep in mind that we have limited time and resources to make changes. The more time we spend on the AARs, the less we spend elsewhere. It is an important part of the game to be sure, but I think there are other parts that are even more important (like the Rarity option, improved building simulation, etc.)

The one thing I know for sure that will happen is removing the Fog of War on kills. Not sure if unit ID for enemy vehicles will be included, but it certainly won't be for any non vehicle unit (think of the mess that would make!).

Steve