Tiger vs Stuarts

Hello all,

Could you help me please, I am trying to get better at the game so eventually I can try to take on some of you guys in PBEM or at least stand a chance against some friends of mine this side of the Atlantic (UK).

Recently in a QB in a medium map, 40 turns, 1500 points where both sides where decided by the PC from any units, I ended up facing a King Tiger, a few groups of men and three HTs and a gun of some sort.

Faced against this illustrious German side stood a host of men of varying types two Wespes (?) and five stuarts.

I was slaughtered, I could not get over the central hill near the King Tiger, shells bounced off all over the place as it gaily flattened all my armour and proceeded to chew up the men, the HTs made a mess of my remaiing men and in the end I had to surrender, I did not fancy the chances of a wespe and a handful of men against a KT on a prominent hill in the distance.

My serious question is this, would there be a way to take down the KT on a prominent hill with five stuarts. I understand the turret traverse of the KT is fairly slow, would a group of stuarts be able to take a KT out from behind it, assuming I survived the 300-400 metre rush to get behind it? Or was I dead in teh water before the game started facing such an enemy?

Thanks for any advic you can offer on how to take out such foe as a KT with stuarts...

Firstly, the Wespe is a GERMAN vehicle and not an Allied one so I doubt you got the Wespe.

Secondly, your only hope is to get flank or rear shots on the KT. Basically though, if a KT is on the field in a QB you'll just be killed.

Fionn, thanks I wasn't sure whether they where called Wespes or not, I tried to remember the name but not being that hot on my WW2 vehicles I could not remember, I think there was a W in there somewhere, so thankyou for correcting me.

Thanks for letting me know about the KT vs Stuart issue, at least there is a chance then but I don't feel so silly for being defeated so quickly. By about turn 15 if I remember.

Hope you all don't mind my silly questions, just trying to learn.

Thanks again.

I dont think a stuart can kill a King tiger even from rear.

Of course, it could get gun damage or be immobilized.

Even killed, with an unbelievably lucky shot.

Your best bet would have been to smoke it, stay away from it,

and kill the other enemies.

Infantry could immobilize it, but that'd require getting close.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

If the KT is reachable you could of course smoke it, run your Stuarts on the flanks and try to close assault w/infantry. Panzers always tend to shoot against vehicles so the infantry could be lucky and reach it before the Stuarts get's knocked out.

When the panzers are shooting it out I usually try to assault with infantry simultaneously, this way you'll get a backup if your Panzer looses. The thing with the big ones is to gang up on them, no matter how big a gun they got they only got one of them biggrin.gif

Guest cypaulding

In real life the Allies would have backed off and called in an airstrike or some TDs - the best thing to do in the meantime is lay down smoke and get into ambush positions.

Sounds like your opponent picked a KT for the right map. If the KT has a clear field of fire then you're SOL. If the map has dense terrain then you can probably avoid it, concentrate on the other units, and eventually try to take it out with infantry. Only a well orchestrated attack or a TD with a 90mm is going to kill thing.

Perhaps your other vehicles were Canadian Wasp Flamethrower carriers.

You're just gonna have to rush the KT and try to maneuver for a flank shot. Expect to lose most of you Stuarts. Just rush most of the around the flank as fast as you can and also try to keep them in cover so the KT can't see them until it's too late. They should be able to drive faster then the turret can rotate and if you get 2-3 Stuarts there pinging away at the back of the tank it should succumb to larger numbers.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatAWilson:

Sounds like your opponent picked a KT for the right map. If the KT has a clear field of fire then you're SOL. If the map has dense terrain then you can probably avoid it, concentrate on the other units, and eventually try to take it out with infantry. Only a well orchestrated attack or a TD with a 90mm is going to kill thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. A 76mm tungsten round will do the trick even frontally. And, if you can get to the side, possibilities abound... but that comes under the heading of "well orchestrated attack."

------------------

-Doug

I know most of you think stuarts would be useles against a KT, but stuarts are very fast. I know in many cases when playing as the germans, stuarts can end up right on top of you in the blink of an eye. So if you get to flanking position there is a good chance that you could get a lucky hit. Thanks