Hetzera and MG's

I was playing a great QB vs the AI today and noticed something about my Hetzers (which are becoming my favorite tank for defense) that the machine gun doesn't fire. I told the tank to fire at a target without the main gun and also had them unbutton so they could use the gun on the outside. Nothing happened. I had 3 Hetzers and not a single one fired their machine gun the entire game. Whats the prob?

Yes have experienced same situation, I switched a Hetzer to don't use main gun on an Pole Inf Squad at 50 - 70ms it refused to fire its MG. I had to wait till the turn ended and switch the Hetzer back to use main gun to get it to fire the 7.5 cm as the RC roof MG never fires.

Regards, John Waters

-------------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-19-2000).]

Hi ntg84 / Pzkpfw 1 , on the foot of your observations i fired up a QB of 400 pts of 3 Hetzers vs Amis Infantry Coy, i had a small farmland map with gentle slopes and light tree cover.Result all 3 Hetzers out of main gun and remote gun ammo by the end of the game. I think the fact because the remote gun carried 50rds in a drum magazine the gun was only used in close self-defence. I targeted the Amis beyond 100m with the mg but they did not fire. When the grunts were less than 100m the Hetzers engaged them no problem. One of the Amis squads broke and ran up to 200m away from one Hetzer which engaged it with both the 75mm and the mg. If you are in close with the enemy try using the Hunt mode as this may be of some help. The remote mgs do work...i even had a Amis platoon HQ which was in between 2 Hetzers and out of their(Hetzers) forward visual arc shot up by both remote mgs. Hope this is of some help...really enjoying this game toooo much , shame i got to go to work tonight frown.gif

Måkjager

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntg84:

But I heard that all tanks have unlimited MG ammo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A long time ago, before the Beta Demo, halftracks had unlimited ammo. Due to vigorous and reasoned argument, BTS decided to put historically-accurate loadouts in place.

But tanks, as far as I know, have always had ammo limits, and certainly do now. Pull up a unit status screen and you can see for yourself.

Ahh Ill try that just thought it was weird. I'd also like to see AFVs stop fireing their main guns at Inf if their out of HE, curently they fire off all their AP & then Sk till dry, the MG woulda been a better choice.

Regards, John Waters

------

"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes".

This is probably just another variation on the TacAI's reluctance to use ammo when it's in limited supply --- much in the manner of the 250/9's not wanting to use AP, and various other tanks not wanting to waste T or C rounds when conventional rounds would do.

It's like Makjager (sorry, can't do those Skando thingies) said: The Hetzer will use it's limited store of MG ammo when it feels threatened enough...

Guest Big Time Software

The Hetzer's MG was meant for close defense only. Because it was mounted externally it had to be reloaded by an exposed crew member, then fired from inside. Not very useful offensively. So I think the MG won't fire at anything further away than 25-50m.

Oddball, I have asked what is up with the JpzIV not having an MG. One source I just checked confirms that it did in fact have one MG, which I assume was a coax.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Oddball, I have asked what is up with the JpzIV not having an MG. One source I just checked confirms that it did in fact have one MG, which I assume was a coax.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve the Jgdpz IV had an conical covered port on the hull (the original proto had 2) that could be opened and an MG extended much like the original flapped Panther Ausf D bow MG set up, you can see an excelent photo of the Jdgpz IV set up @

http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk/jpz4l70/index.htm

On the 2nd photo page.

Regards, John Waters

-------------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-21-2000).]

Hmm problem was the extra MG on the JagdPz and PIV/70, was placed in the drivers position and proved only a little less than worthless so in March 1944, the MG opening on the left of the front hull was welded shut and later removed.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 08-21-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

OK, I think we have ourselves here a genuine mistake on our part smile.gif When the data was being put in Charles got confused about the two MG thing being reduced to one. See... normally the almost never used AA MG is listed, and since no other German tanks had the screwy dual hull sliding armored block MG arrangement, Charles thought that when they dropped one the only one left was the AA MG. Obviously this is incorrect now that we are looking at it as an individual vehicle and not one of about a hundred in need of data input smile.gif

Charles is going to add a bow MG for the JpzIV family of vehicles. However, it is only going to fire at med-long distanaces. Theory being that the radio man would button up if they were taken under effective close range small arms fire. Looking at the pictures of the JpzIV at Beltring (the website above took pictures there) it is clear that the last thing the radio guy would want is to have that armored block pushed to the side with close range small arms fire around! Talk about small arms shottrap!

Probably will not be in the next patch, but will be in the one after that.

Steve