Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Just saw this preview on Gamespot of Hasbro's version of Squad Leader: http://headline.gamespot.com/news/00_02/24_pc_squad/index.html

I'm a bit cheesed off because it seems to me that Hasbro is using the SL name to promote their own version of Computer Ambush, or maybe Jagged Alliance. That ain't necessarily bad, but it just ain't Squad Leader. This game has thirty missions, and you command troops individually. X-COM:WWII, JA:WWII, either of those would be more accurate. Of course, they lack name recognition, but it seems to me that those of us that recognize the SL name will not identify it with this product.

What we really need is someone, somewhere, to make a WWII game that is more like SL. It should be squad level, somewhere between real-time and turn-based, with good 3D graphics and a scary level of detail. [emilylatellavoice] What? Oh. Nevermind. [/emilylatellavoice]

Brad "Supertanker" Wohlenberg

Guest R Cunningham

It's being developed by Random Games. THe same people who did both Soldiers at War and Chaos Gate. Both were very buggy. SSI was the publisher for both so the bugginess may be attibuted to SSI's business methodology.

It is a shame they're are going to waste the Squad Leader "brand" on an updated Soldiers at War.

Lol SuperT !! Your post was right on. I wouldn't worry about anyone mistaking Random Games new entry as being related in any way, shape or form to A.H.'s Squadleader. Sounds kinda like SAW2.While I enjoyed SAW,who could resist scavaging those occasion FG42's or MP44's from fallen wehrmacht soldiers, mentioning ChaosGate in the same breath with a new game makes me leary. Steve and Charles have really raised the bar on what I expect from a wargame. I have enough wargames I enjoy owning more than playing.

Came across this post at ign.pc today.

"Meanwhile, Steve had moved on to talk with Bill Levay about the WWII game, Squad Leader. Being a fan of the paper version of the game, Steve has long lamented the lack of a PC version of the game. And no, Beyond Squad Leader doesn't count. Don't get him started. The game is only four or five months old, so we didn't get a chance to look at any gameplay, we did talk concepts. The game is based on the X-COM turn-based model and will have a cinematic, Hollywood feel. A real effort is being made to make the game more approachable than the tabletop version and we're interested to see how Microprose strikes the balance between hardcore simulation and everyday fun."

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

I had fun with chaos gate, but then again I think warhammer stuff is neato and it did only last one full campaign on my HD. SAW lasted about half the campaign on my HD.

Anyways even though it's not going to be what we all want it could very well turn out to be fun. (xcom and jagged alliance are definite favorites of mine)

Guest Gunnerdream

As a longtime SL player, I sincerely hope this isn't some lame-ass piece of crap kiddie game with the venerable "Squad Leader" name slapped on to get people like me to buy it along with my next door neighbor's sugar-hopped nine year old. Thanks, but no thanks.

That would be like Pink Floyd without Roger Waters...(my sincerest apologies to any David Gilmour fans out there)...

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Pink Floyd without Roger... I miss Sid more than Roger. I loved Floyd with Roger, but they have made some great music sence then also.. I think we should all feel sorry for Roger and the fact the his God complex has allowed Floyd to continue on with greatness while he sits in a damp celler eating crackers and spam.

LOL whooo.. are we looking for topics or what?

Lorak

P.S. forgot the CM tie-in thats needed for some. Anyone have any information on the part the relitives of Floyd played in WWII?

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 02-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think we should all feel sorry for Roger and the fact the his God complex has allowed Floyd to continue on with greatness while he sits in a damp celler eating crackers and spam .... P.S. forgot the CM tie-in thats needed for some.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sitting in a damp cellar eating crackers and SPAM is as good a description of the usual lot of the US soldier or Marine as I can think of. So say this is in the post-Overlord WW2 ETO and you've got the CM tie-in biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-25-2000).]