London Big Day Out! 8th of October, Imperial War Museum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some more info for anyone jealous as heck here in the USA about not being able to make it to the Imperial War Museum. Another good place to go to see some equipment up close here in the Midwest, is at the Rock Island Armory. Located in Rock Island, IL (one of the quad cities if you know where that is). They have some great outside displays of tanks and artillery, and you can visit the John R. Browning Museum on site. This info might be a little dated as I havent been there in 20 years... was cool as heck to a 13 year old. smile.gif

Anyone else been there more recently?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

*bump*

sweet as. I'll be the guy with the red hair and red goatee, and there will be some shifty looking guys there too, that'll be Germanboy and Dr Al and stuff smile.gif

PeteNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me shifty looking? That could explain why all the homeless people around Finchley approach me as an equal and ask me whether I have been to the homeless shelter up in Camden. smile.gif

Nope, have not been there ... yet

But dunno if I would get much money if I would position my ass in front of the Finchley tube ... I just have this gut feeling that shifty looking bums who sit and read Nietzsche do not get that much spare change. Maybe I should dance and sing a little bit? Could do a couple of Abba covers. Ah .. better not, would just get arrested for disturbing the peace smile.gif

M

Get a ratty little dog, too. The resident beggar in Blackfriars Station, which I have to walk through every day, has this nappy looking terrier - the kind English ladies keep as lapdogs, but nastier - and he gets the most amazing handouts I've ever seen.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Hey, why don't you lot try the National Army Museum in Chelsea as well. Their special 'theme' days are worth looking out for - English Civil War, Napoleonic and WW2 Tommy so far. At the last one I got to handle a whole lot of deactivated infantry weapons; Bren, Vickers, 2 types of Sten, Lee-Enfield rifle, MP40, MG34 etc...

On Sunday I'm at a christening so can't make it. Have fun, lads.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Hey, I want to see pictures posted in THIS thread to show all us poor bastards what we didnt get to see first-hand.

Thank you, and dont let us down...

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

ok well we will if we get some camera type stuff organised.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try to think of taking my camera and I have a scanner, so we should be able to work somefink out.

------------------

Andreas

Daveman, I'm in northern NJ. That's a several-hours trip by train or car, and my weekends are booked for eternity.

I hate having to work for a living. I'm working on a plan to have other people work for my living, but getting elected is proving to be a major hurdle.

DjB

Hey Cupabuppa!

Walking is always good. It's good for the health, or so I have been told at least. But then on the other hand you must handle the trouble of encountering the restless natives in their natural habitat. I will take the tube for sure. But then I am a spineless coward, that I know for sure. If you are bold, take the walk to the museum, but be prepared to have encounters that are unknown to the civilised world.

Dr Alimantado

Ps. I have been told that the natives can be distracted if you sing and dance for them. 'Achy breaky heart' is maybe something that you would know of?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Nrg. It's close enough that I could consider walking, but far enough away that I'm not sure if I want to. Pah.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just do what I do - buy one of these yearly London Transport tickets that come for only £1,072(zones 1-4) and, according to my friend in Berlin should entitle me to personal helicopter transport (it took him a while to believe the figure). Now all you have to do is find a heli-pad.

I am currently looking at a map of the museum's location and surroundings. Now if you are not hobbled in any way, you should be able to find it in yourself to just walk across Westminster Bridge and make the 50 or so yards. Or are you one of these sad gits who take the Tube from Leicester Square to Covent Garden?

Lorak, you may be loathsome, but there is somefink to your call for scanned pictures that will make me take them.

------------------

Andreas