how do we get tcp/ip opponents on short notice?

i only had one pbem partner and he disappeared, so i can't just drop an icq or email.

where will trcp/ip partners be found? madmatt's chat room? here on the board?

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest *Captain Foobar*

russell. Come to the chat room. There are certain peak hours that you will discover large groups of people there.

I predict that the chat will get very high traffic once tcp-ip is ready.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Oh joy...

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, Mr. "Happy as Larry", I never thought I'd hear those words from you! wink.gif

Going to the chat to seek opponents is an excellent idea in the interim, but given that there may be a very large number of participants, and that some of those participants will be listed but actually not active (as they will be ICP/TPing), it might get a tad confusing!

Perhaps Matt can use that large intellect of his to come up with a solution (perhaps a real time registry of players looking for a tcp/ip session)?

Mace

------------------

sh_t happens but life's short, so why worry about it!

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I wanted a chat room a LONG time ago.

I bugged Matt into making it. Now it is wildly successful. Sure, he has done a slight bit of work for it, but it was MY vision that was truly the guiding force. wink.gif

Let me present to all my latest vision. This vision will not include any hard work by me, there are plently of "little" people to see to the details. I am needed as more of a "big picture" person.

Imagine a website where players congregate for tcp ip. You see perhaps 20 "rooms" with 2 player slots in each room. There is a common chat function for all players on the site. (meaning entering the room doesnt take you out of the main hall, just puts your name in the room slot)

The first player to a room will host, set the parameters, and the guest must click "ok" to accept these in game parameters. An ok from the guest allows the host to LAUNCH, and instantly both players are in Combat Mission, ready to fight it out.

Future features of this service will include "eavesdropping" where players in the main hall can see what is being typed by any 2 combatants, giving them the opportunity to laugh at their misfortunes, or cheer their success.

It will also feature plenty of "slap person" macros with fish and hamster references.

So if any of you hard working types are reading this message, get to work on it, ok? And don't come back here until its finished. wink.gif

Guest Madmatt

You know, I hate to mention this but my Chat system does allow you (ahem) vistors to creat your own rooms. Just type something like "/join losers" and a new room called "losers" will be created and you will be the admin of it.

If you use the Java side of my chat system you can click the Rooms button at top of screen to see a current list of rooms and how many people are in them.

Once you get in a game you can always add something to your nickname like : "Mace_getting_butt_kicked_in_game"

Just trying to help.

Madmatt

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Sadly Matt,

What you describe is just a cheap work-around. Surely, we will do what we have to do, and hopefully it will help us until you and others finish working on my vision....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Once you get in a game you can always add something to your nickname like : "Mace_getting_butt_kicked_in_game"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction, Madmatt.

Everyone knows my nickname should be "Mace_getting_butt_kicked_in_game_and_in_real_life"!

Mace