Kiwis & the Maori Battalion

Hi all,

Allow myself to introduce...myself..

Long time lurker (since November I think, zykes). First post on any forum ever! I've had a blast playing the demo and reading the forum ( learnt heaps thanx guys- you know who you are wink.gif ), BTS have done a great job, kapai!

BTS mentioned there are a number of Kiwis who have preordered - I was just interested to see how many. Yes I know we are all shy flightless birds that only come out at night (except maybe peternz , kiwijoe and titan) but if I can post so can you.

Also having finished reading a great book about the Maori Battalion by Wira Gardiner; what-da-ya fullas reckon (NZ lingo) about having the Maori Battalion included as a squad type in CM3 ??? wink.gif. I assume NZ, Aussies and the Gurkas will be in? Or will there just be ANZACS etc? I'd be interested to see what your thoughts are on this. (I'm sure it's the last thing on the minds of BTS at the moment!)

Finally I think I'm ready to get my arse kicked in a PBEM game; if any of you guys are keen. I could probably get through at least a couple of turns a night. I would prefer a NZer... Hey, I don't think I could stomach getting beaten by an Aussie! just kidding. I don't really mind, another newbie to PBEM would be cool.

Sorry for the random/waffly nature of the post.

Cheers Bro,

SB

------------------

"Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora , ka ora!"("Tis Death, tis death, tis life, tis life!") Maori war cry

Did the NZ or Maori troops have a different TOE or OOB than other Commonwealth troops? Or would the difference just run skin-deep?

I assume for CM3 the Indian troops are going to get a different skin color. Remember too that there were a lot of Englishmen in the 8th Indian Div.

Hi There SB

im in for a battle if you have time .yes im a aussie.im also new to PBEM so it should make for a great battle plz feel free to send a e.mail anytime .ill play axis or allied what ever you like is fine with me.hope you dont think all aussies are dicks its just or media are dicks and go on about NZ ,tasmania ,and even make out each state in australia is better than the next .its just our media talking crap .ill shut up now

all the best

cheers chris

wildstreet@hyp.com.au

Guest JonS

Aacooper,

there were several TO&E and OOB differences in 2(NZ) Div. As an extreme example, before the Battle of Alamein one of the 3 infantry brigades was withdrawn and converted to an armoured unit, equipped with Shermans. Re-training took quite a while, and the brigade didn't rejoin the Div till Italy, about a year later. I think this created the only 'panzer-grenadier' div in the Commonwealth.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest JonS

Hunter,

There are many different hakas - each tribe has one, more or less. The most well known is probably the All Black version ...

for a translation

or

for an audio file

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 05-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 05-23-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

Aacooper,

there were several TO&E and OOB differences in 2(NZ) Div. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred Majdalany in "Monte Cassino" goes on quite a bit about 2 (NZ). Apparently they were all volunteers, and quite motivated, b/c in a small country like NZ everybody knows everybody else, so it is no good to come home shell-shocked. So they might deserve a higher rating?

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

You would think you KIWIs would be used to getting beaten by Aussies by now :)

Finally I think I'm ready to get my arse kicked in a PBEM game; if any of you guys are keen. I could probably get through at least a couple of turns a night. I would prefer a NZer... Hey, I don't think I could stomach getting beaten by an Aussie! just kidding. I don't really mind, another newbie to PBEM would be cool.

Sorry for the random/waffly nature of the post.

Cheers Bro,

SB

exactly pacestick!

Sorry to not post any replys but Jons seems well informed on the actual specifics. I really enjoyed reading about the personal side of things. thanks go to CM for devloping an interest in a part of our history.

One of the great stories I've heard from the desert- was the NZers had erected some dummy trucks etc with canvas, apparently a Stuka came screaming out of the sky and dropped a wooden bomb on it smile.gif It's great to think that these guys (friend and foe) had a sense of humour in spite of it all.