British Airborne...

BTS, I sent the screen shots of the British airborne on the CMHQ page to one of my friends in my reenacting group.

His comments were...

"Whats with the red berets? and wheres the dension smocks? how farb!"

Yeah, they were more maroon then red. And, yeah, where's the Dension smocks? Is it even possible to give the units those? and as I've learned, "Farb" means something that isn't historical, or something like that. I guess it's a reenacting term.

Thanks.

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

Guest KwazyDog

Actually, I think its pretty 'farb' you guys use blanks instead of live rounds, I mean, surely the Germans didnt use blanks all the time? wink.gif

Hehe sorry, couldnt resist wink.gif

Guest Madmatt

Ahhh, FARB.. Man does that term bring back memories. It was funny, back when I was big into Civil War re-enacting there were three distinct camps (some times in REALITY three camps too!).

The 'Farbs', these were the guys who would wear moden 'modified' combat boot and blue jeans and go as Conferederate Infantry or those who wore blue trousers that were really just old dress pants and then borrow a jacket so they could play Union.

Then there were the guys like me and my best friend who had 'characters' we would slip into when the crowd was walking down the company street and we wore hand made authentic enough uniforms but also saw no problem in sneaking out for McDonalds at dinner or playing frisbee on the battlefield.

Then there were the DIEHARDS... These guys were the re-enacting equivilant of Grognards only much much worse. These guys weren't happy unless they had the EXACT breed of lice infecting their skin!!!

I got along with Farbs reasonably well because with the right ammount of coaching they would see the error of their ways and usually end the weekend spending a load of money at the local suttlers. The Diehards however were usually too busy critizing the quality of paper that the replica Harpers Weekly was made from to ever actaully ENJOY the event... Ahhh, the good old days.. biggrin.gif

6th Ohio...My proud old unit...

If you watch the first part of Glory while Matthew Broderick is talking you can see me marching in formation. That first shot is stock footage taken from the 125th anniversary Gettysburg renactment. It was a blast! hehehe... wink.gif

Madmatt

But once known as Woodrow Wagner 'Waggy' Quigley, Private 6th OVI

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-20-2000).]

124th NY here Madmatt. Remember Devil's Den! Our members are basically like you and your friends. We like to preserve the history during the time that is the reenactment, but hey, you've got to live it up modern-day soemtimes. smile.gif

Hey-Polish Airborne had grey berets...

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

Guest Captain Foobar

So if the Die-Hards are re-enacting the South, do they intentionally forget how to read & write ( running for cover wink.gif )

There was a unit up here that marched from Seaside to Ft. Stevens(which is like 20 miles) and they were late so their commander guy made them double time the last 10 miles. My friend said he was talking to some of them and their feet were bleeding and stuff. He said there's some messed up people there.

I haven't been to one of those yet, but some of the guys in our Para unit do it. Jerry does Confederate Calvery and Larry does it too, but I forgot what unit he's in.

One of the US guys came in trying to pawn a Union jacket off on us, I was tempted to buy it just to have one but I didn't have the money.

I used to be fully into the civil war, but I dunno, just one day I started paying attention to WW2 more..

By the way, my names Josh and my dad's a ww2/civil war nut and he named me after Joshua Chamberlin(20th Maine?). I used to know everything about this guy. But it's been a while.

One of the people that went to my old church did Scottish stuff in the Civil war thing.. I forgot what exactly it was....

Well, maybe the Polish did have Grey Berets, but I'm talking about British smile.gif

One of the guys who came to the last reenactment went to Europe for the D-Day 50th and Jumped in on some battlefield w/ a Polish Para Vet. He also did some beach landing deal in Michigan.

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

Damnit.. you know what angers me.. I went to Fred suck meyers to get some Black and white film for this weekend, and the bastards only had color... oh well. I'll get some from my friend. He always steals like 20 rolls from his school.

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

Tom, Good luck at the battle. In some respects I like Camp Rilia better then Fort Stevens because as much as I like speaking to the public about the hobbie and stuff. It's somewhat difficult to get "Into Character" when some guy walks infront of me with a Orange Jacket or something holding a beer saying "Hey, is that a Machine-gun?" ...Etc..etc..

MG

MG,

Personally I'd like to do one at Ft. Stevens so my friends and family(my dad and grandfather-WW2 Navy vet) can come see and under stand the stuff a little bit better.

Damn this one was great...

They had a lot of germans this time. We had russians this time as well.

We(the allies) actually got to be on the defensive a couple times!!

For the first two scenarios where we were on the defensive, we kicked they Germans' asses, we(our unit, dunno about the other guys)didn't get any casualtys.. they kept walking right in front of us.

Today we did the attack again, they had the fox holes up on the hill and they wacked us all.. It was fun though. Nice weather.

One of the Germans is trying to start a SS unit. The 2nd SS I believe.

I got the chance to shoot a MP40, those are nice. I like the sten better for some reason.. not as bulky.. has a little more jump to it, I like the jump, feels real, the rifles have no jump...

We might actually do a jump sometime this summer...

Blah I'm too tired to say anymore...

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

Just getting back to the Red Devil uniform- hey, Tom, you're right! Bright red berets are a common mistake for the paras but I suppose it would be easy to do a texture mod. The little photo in the user interface seems to have got it right. The colour was almost 'claret' like the divisional badge (sky blue pegasus on claret background- Brits should think of the West Ham United colours...).

As for the camo Denison smocks; well I hope that if BTS can do a separate camo texture slot for the SS (many of whom wore field grey anyway) they will do separate ones for the allies? (Red Devils always wore camo). If I can make a suggestion (ignorant of whether it is possible), would it be possible to do loads of slots for the various troop types in each nation? Even if they are identical placeholders it would allow artistic users to create some rich variety.

OK, won't affect gameplay but just my tupenny request, especially as the game seems to be getting graphically richer every day!

Yes, the para's used the helmets more often than the berets because they were much more concealing then a maroon beret.

But I think BTS gave them the berets so you'd know who they were. In a couple hours I'll put up some pictures I got.. I just have to scan them

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

http://www.geocities.com/pdxhc/2-00.html

These are some pictures given to me from the Febuary reenactment.

You can even see what my stupid ass looks like..

don't mind the red eye thing, it's from the radioactivity coming off the computer...

it's all bts' fault.... smile.gif

I took some pictures of my own this time, so when I get those developed i'll put them up.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Servo:

You can even see what my stupid ass looks like..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy you ain't kiddin'! biggrin.gif Hahaha biggrin.gif

Tom Servo:

If you're gonna re-enact near Ft Stevens again, maybe you can re-enact the WW2 US soldiers who would've been around at the time that Ft Stevens got shelled by a Japanese submarine. (Dec. '41--Jan 42?)

The memories of Ft Stevens and the Oregon Coast; lived there for 14 years in Astoria. Now I'm an an Ohioan who's only a bit north from Madmatt. Go figure the fates with this thread. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 03-27-2000).]

Well, if coordinated or supervised by the local fire department, perhaps you could build some "artillery" explosions with black powder charges, waterproofed & buried in the sand. And then using wire igniters (also buried in the sand), these charges could be blown off before you re-enactors "hit the beach".

Even better, go to the fire department and see if what they have (or could procure) in launchable fireworks that would only give off a "flash-boom" effect. These might need little modification for your intent.

Tom, (Yeah, Late reply huh?) What's Up, the pictures look great. Good stuff, Yeah, I Know Danny Reichman the fearless learder of 2nd SS Panzer Division -Das Reich-, he is in (a founding member) of the 'Nam Group. Cool stuff, I Dont know what's going to happen on June 6th, Crazy... Anyways Seeya

MG