Detonator 2 drivers for Nvidia cards

Coupla questions:

# - What's the difference between AA and FSAA?

# - The CD installation in-control tools of my Diamond Viper 770 Ultra features an AA option. When I installed the latest Diamond drivers (4.12.01.0368) I got a different set of options (even though I didn't choose to reinstall the in-control tools), AA was NOT included anymore. I know quite a few of you have a Viper ultra. Has anyone found a solution to this?

BTW, I agree with Maximus: It can be risky installing generic drivers. Had quite a few problems with that in the past frown.gif

------------------

Combat Axiom 46. Do unto others, before they do unto you.

[This message has been edited by Juju (edited 06-11-2000).]

Oh, CoolColJ, and something else:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

Well at least I can texture AA on a my TNT2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using which drivers?

------------------

Ok the old TNT drivers had Texture AA, which has been been removed from the newer Nvidia drivers control panel, but its still there, and it does work smile.gif If you hack the registry a bit wink.gif

OK FSAA , anti-aliases every single pixel on the screen. And it does this by rendering the screen a few times and combining them, slightly offset, depending on the driver and system used. So any jagged lines are minimised. 2xFSAA, means 2 passes, and 4xFSSA - 4 screens are rendered. So you can see why its such a framerate hit biggrin.gif

Texture AA (TNT2), will smooth out just the textures, but the edges of the object will still remain jaggy smile.gif

ccj

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ on AA texturing:

but its still there, and it does work smile.gif If you hack the registry a bit wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha, thanks, and interesting. Could you please tell me what to do to the registry? Registry editing doesn't scare me! biggrin.gif

I did some checking with the older driver earlier, and I liked what I saw.

------------------

Guest morjit

Has anybody else noticed a drop in available system resources after installing the new drivers? My available system resources droped from 99% too 93%.

Guest MantaRay

Um Demon, how can installing video drivers make your Windows need to be reinstalled? That would have nothing to do with making Windows not work bro. Reinstalling the Video Drivers, yes, Windows, no.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Well, Manta, thats what happened K ? I wouldnt just reinstall windows and loose everything that is in my Programs File just for the sake of it would I ? Nope. Well I installed the driver and there is no noticable improvments, maybe thats because Im ignorant, or just a plain dumbass. Anyone know what i should be looking for?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screaming Demon:

Well, Manta, thats what happened K ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was unbootable with those drivers I can see that... was the thing not even bootable into safe mode to hack out the offending drivers?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well I installed the driver and there is no noticable improvments, maybe thats because Im ignorant, or just a plain dumbass. Anyone know what i should be looking for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compatability, stability, speed and feature implementation (note that sometimes you trade one for another... notice a speed decrease in the 5.16, but picked some stability... not too much of a hit). The jump from 5.16 to 5.22 was not good for me stability wise in either Win98 or 2000 with my GeForce DDR. Started getting occasional boot to 640x480. have to reboot or twiddle a little with the Output Device tab to get anything other than 640x480... THe tradeoff for D3D FSAA is worth the aggrivaton as once I get my screen size back all is well for the next several boots. Going to try the 5.23 Win2K drivers when I get around to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>was the thing not even bootable into safe mode to hack out the offending drivers?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont know how to do that (too lazy to read manual).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Compatability, stability, speed and feature implementation (note that sometimes you trade one for another... notice a speed decrease in the 5.16, but picked some stability... not too much of a hit). The jump from 5.16 to 5.22 was not good for me stability wise in either Win98 or 2000 with my GeForce DDR. Started getting occasional boot to 640x480. have to reboot or twiddle a little with the Output Device tab to get anything other than 640x480... THe tradeoff for D3D FSAA is worth the aggrivaton as once I get my screen size back all is well for the next several boots. Going to try the 5.23 Win2K drivers when I get around to it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got no idea what you are talking about except that thing happened to me, but it didnt go back to 640x480 but something like 320x260 (very hard to get it back because everything is so big that you are blinded most of the time).

Thanks anyways, at least I have peice of mind that my Vid Card is performing to its maximum. Now all need to know is if my Sound Blaster Live V4 is performing to its maximum.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Me:

was the thing not even bootable into safe mode to hack out the offending drivers?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Screaming Demon:

Dont know how to do that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bummer... Might have saved you the rebuild... Hit F8 (the key) as you are booting afte teh hardware junk but just before the "loading Windows 98" bit flashes... HSould allow you to boot into safe mode where it defaults to standard VGA so bad video can be corrected among other things. Saved my bacon more than once.

Well ya could have right clicked on desktop and change the res tongue.gif

Well 5.22 is way more stable for me with CM and everything else, wow

ANyway I looked into th registry, and found an entry for FSAA = off smile.gif For OpengGL

I changed it to on, didn't notice anything, looked a bit smoother, maybe....I think I'm imagining it wink.gif

Also with the Tetxure AA, if you goto the registry, in Software / Nvidia corporation, there should be a AA= 0 change that to 1 to turn it on. Change mode from 0 to whatever AA quality you want 1-3

ccj

Also with the Tetxure AA, if you goto the registry, in Software / Nvidia corporation, there should be a AA= 0 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there should, but there isn't. Did a search on NVIDIA; AA; Anti; Alias, and some more keywords.

The registry key you mention just doesn't feature that option, or any other obvious option. The key where you found the OpenGl FSAA thingy seems to be the only string that even mentions anti-aliasing. Can you help me out some more?

BTW, tried the OpenGL FSAA thing as well, but didn't notice any difference either...

------------------

JUJU

here is one thing you can try - reintsall the old drivers, go resgistry searhcing, find the entries for AA, then copy them down. Re-install new drivers, renter the old keys into the new registry wink.gif

Might work smile.gif

Kingtiger - geforce?

I personally set mipmaps to 0 (default and keeps CM roads nice and straight in the distance), set everything to max quality, keep V-blank sync on.

ccj

Yes I concede that frown.gif

Well at least I can texture AA on a my TNT2

I'm saving for a 64 meg Leadtek Geforcce GTS2 wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey CoolColJ,

I just read a nice article in Maximum PC magazine about upgrading. In regards to video cards, we TNT2 ultra owners should wait till fall when the NV20 or Rampage arrive. The GTS2 and the V5 are nice but if you can wait the next generation chips are awesome. However, if money is no object or you absolutely need the added features, then the V5 and GTS2 are nice toys. Personally, I am weighing my options of upgrading my cpu (PIII-450) to a PIII 800 or getting a GTS2 or V5. I can only afford one and after reading this article, I am leaning toward the cpu.

Allan

Guest morjit

Has anybody else noticed a drop in available system resources after installing the new drivers? My available system resources droped from 99% too 94%.