Traffic Jams

Situation: Moving several vehicles down a road (esp. in bocage or tree-lined). Different vehicle types, different experience ratings.

Problem: How the *@&& do you keep the ones in back from STOPPING when they catch up to the vehicle in front?

Don't read this wrong, I don't have a problem with vehicles keeping others from passing, but why must the ones in the rear stop? Having the rear vehicle slow to the speed of the one ahead of it would be much more realistic and cause fewer problems for traffic control (don't know how hard this would be to code, though).

Beyond a recoding, does anyone have ways of dealing with this other than widely separating their vehicles? It's not a show stopper for me, I just like tidy convoys... biggrin.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Hope it will be fixed sometime. Now it's almost comical to

watch a vechile gaining on the one in front, and then crashing it.

Stopping dead and causing a chain collision.

Would be less fun in real life if a jeep would hit full brakes while

a sherman is coming full speed 15 meters behind!

This reminds me of a story my father told me. He was in an engineering airport contstruction battalion in WWII. He and a buddy were in small truck headed for Orly airport in Paris to survey it in order to get it ready to use as fighter bomber base. They somehow got into the middle of one of Patton's tank columns headed for Paris to help liberate it. It was night and there was a tank in front and one behind moving at top speed for the tanks. My father was driving and realized that if the tank in front of him stopped the one behind would roll right right over them as if they were not even there. The first wide spot in road that he came upon he pulled over and let the column move by them. He said in was pretty intense for a while there.

It's probably a good thing to have you computer tanks stop rather than rolling over the computer jeep or computer truck in front of them.

Use the Move command rather than Fast.

Be aware of their experience level. Regular vehicles take ~13 secs to start moving, Vets take ~8 secs, etc. You may need to use the pause command on vehicles near the back. Or use Fast initially on the lead vehicles for a short distance to get them more spaced out near the front, then change the command to Move so the rest of the convoy can keep up.

Also stagger the vehicles (i.e. one on the rightish side of the road, the one behind it rides on the left, then right, then left ... etc).

You may even want some vehicles to travel off-road next to the road. Such as HTs on Fast rather than having them within the convoy. Just be aware of any adverse ground conditions off the side of the road such as wet, snow, and tree-ed areas.

- Chris

Guest Scott Clinton

A "FOLLOW" command IS on 'The List'.

As one of my personal top desires I hope it is near the top. Prob. be CM2 though before we see it, but you never know.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

A "FOLLOW" command IS on 'The List'.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be an excellent (and elegant) solution to this issue! It would also take less time to plot out movement for multiple units. smile.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest ACTOR

The "follow" command would be great. I get tired of watching my tanks and half tracks dance around one another when they reach a turn in the road. I realize that this is partly my fault, but boy do I hate seeing a nice line of vehicles suddenly turn into mess, especially while taking fire! biggrin.gif