Is this game the most acurate sim of ww2 squad level combat

Is this game the most acurate sim of ww2 squad level combat or does that title still go to the Tiger on the Prowl System .I know the graphics are much better and it is a lot more fun to play .but can it now be call the most accurate

I don't know exactly what you mean by "still use the TOP system". CM is similar to TOP/PITS in having the "we go" turn-based system vs. I-go-you-go. And both games have very detailed things going on "under the hood." I think CM is closer to the truth with its 1 minute turns vs. PITS/TOP shorter turns and way more locked-in orders.

PITS/TOP has a few things CM lacks, such as command rules for AFVs and dust clouds. OTOH, CM has some things TOP/PITS lacks, such as hexless movement and real 3D LOS/LOF and more detailed AP resolution. Plus I think the CM AI is better in numerous ways, although of course there are things to nitpick.

On the whole, I think CM and PITS/TOP are very close to the same level of accuracy but CM is way more accessible with its 3D environment. Plus I think this leads to a higher level of realism in terms of folds in the ground, etc.

So I'd say the balance lies somewhat in favor of CM for overall realism. And way in favor of CM in terms of "being there".

NOTE: I may be somewhat biased in favor of PITS/TOP because I know and drink with some of the HPS guys and tested the games. Still, there's no denying these games are quite realistc for being 2D and hex-based.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 07-03-2000).]

Having played all of them, my vote goes to CM hands-down. CC2 was very good, but does not really convey 3d terrain and sighting as far as I am concerned.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

CC2 has nothing to do with TOP/PS, pnubly.

TOP/PS also are not really squad-level games.

Units in TOP/PS are generally platoons.

Also, turns in TOP/PS are the same length as CM turns - one minute.

Maps in TOP/PS go up to (and often are) 5 km by 8 km, and forces are often entire brigades - it's a rather different scale of action. Movements are at a signifigantly larger scale in TOP/PS.

Both games have several things the others don't. CM is more detailed in some respects, and TOP/PS has quite a few things that CM lacks, too.

To me, they're too different to directly say one is "more realistic" than the other, without comparing specific aspects.

PvK

Originally posted by PvK:

CC2 has nothing to do with TOP/PS, pnubly.

TOP/PS also are not really squad-level games.

Hence my point that CM is hands-down the best. I think most people would have included CC2 in a "top-ten" list for WWII squad-level combat simulations.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.