November 10, 2000 is NOT Veterans Day

Go bugger off! I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't sully my heartfelt and honest post thanking those who have done what they had to so that others could live in peace with your bilious attempt to undermine the sentiments because this is only the OBSERVED day of the Veteran's Holiday. Furthermore, your attempts at pointing out that you are more adept at reading the calendar than the rest of us simps is not well received and has utterly turned my stomach. So Mister Anarchy, go find a soapbox in the desert and preach to the freaking camels, because no one here gives a ****.

------------------

"Nuts!"

Tink, if you resent that government employees get holidays that you think are undeserved, save your ire for Columbus Day. I am a state employee, I work hard for less money than I could make as a programmer in the private sector, and I am a veteran and feel that I DO deserve a day off for having spent 6 years on an f'ing submarine even if some of my co-workers do not.

Please leave my Veteran's day out of your activism and at the same time learn the wisdom of not tarring with so wide a brush.

So croda do you celebrate Christmas on the 24th? Seems you have escalated the thread to a flame, wheras I was just pointing out the waste and bureaucratic BS that EVERYONE has come to accept as the norm. I see that the ego runs high and actual objective examination has no value here. Well, I appologize for the reply then, but I am truly sorry for your lack of objectivity. Press on in your ignorance sir, if it has seen you in good stead so far, then you have been lucky.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaSCa:

Tink, if you resent that government employees get holidays that you think are undeserved, save your ire for Columbus Day. I am a state employee, I work hard for less money than I could make as a programmer in the private sector, and I am a veteran and feel that I DO deserve a day off for having spent 6 years on an f'ing submarine even if some of my co-workers do not.

Please leave my Veteran's day out of your activism and at the same time learn the wisdom of not tarring with so wide a brush.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What subs were ya on buddy? I was in subs for 6 yrs an served half on the USS Casimir Pulaski (SSBN 633 Blue) an half on the USS Simon Bolivar (SSBN 641 Blue). Have a great day off matey...

STS1(SS) out...

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

Why I was a steely-eyed killer of the deep...fast, black, never come back...Fast-Attack tough...USS Haddo(SSN-604). Worked in RC Division. Call me a snidget. I hope you have the day off as well and if not, thanks for the good wishes.

ET2(SS)

I have to agree with Croda on this one. Tink, there is a time and place for everything, if someone created a Merry Christmas thread, it would be inappropriate to fill that thread with flames about the Inquisition.

------------------

I've got far more annoying things than that up my sleeve.

-Meeks

You must wear awfully loose shirts to fit an oompah band up your sleeve.

-Chrisl

How often would most Americans think about Veteran's Day if there wasn't a day off? By the way, it's a "public" holiday, not a national holiday, so it's up to the states and private companies to observe it or not... this way, it gets remembered. And not that Fire Prevention Week isn't important, but why not remind folk that Veterans are a little more special?

Think about the odd holidays shown on some calendars... many things you've never heard of (I actually think they're kind've cool, but oh well). Maryland celebrates "Repudiation Day" but the rest of us fail to repudiate.

Days off make people take notice. There needs to be a holiday every so often, and I'm glad one of them makes a few people think of the vets, or makes a few kids ask a few dads, "Daddy, what's a veteran?". The day off draws attention to it. I worked today, but the news headlines, sidebars, and this thread drew attention to it...

There is really no magic in a date anyway. Noticing and remembering is the magic. Once a year people are going to hear about Veterans (and Memorial Day), if only because their bank is closed, and the fact that the need for "x" number of holidays in a year was met with reminding folks of the ultimate sacrifice, beats the hell out of "Earth Day" in my personal book.

(No malice here, tink, your contrition precedes me).

No, no, no, no....I must agree with -tink- here. OBSERVED does not mean ACTUAL.

We do not celebrate the 4th of July on Friday the 3rd, just because the 4th is on a Saturday.

Go ahead flame me for this one, but guess what, Croda? I don't give a flying f**k!

Taking nothing away from the simbiance of Veterans Day, but it IS celebrated on Nov. 11.

Seems like -tink-'s got the same mentality that I do. He hates all the bureaucratic bull**** just like I do.

Guest Madmatt

Hi guys! Guess what my appearance here means?

That's right. Call it censorship, call it abuse of power, call it Madmatt just being Madmatt but you won't be calling it anything here as I am going to lock it up.

But before I do, let me say one thing (yeah, this is where I get to have the last word cause I hold the keys...). Mr. Tink is correct, Veterans day, and what was originally known as Armistice Day is in fact on November 11. That was the day of the final capitulation of the Germans in 1918, the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

But while the original thread may have been premature I would rather have seen a recognition of the day come early rather than come not at all.

So while we can piss and moan about government observed holidays all we want we should instead pay a little deserved respect to the men and women who throughout the ages have answered the summons when the drums of war called.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-11-2000).]