Is this realistic? Flamethrower question...

Hi all. I did a search and couldn't find the answer to this. I was playing a scenario and had a Sherman Crocodile come up behind a concrete pillbox. It flamed the pillbox from behind (about 60 meters away) at about a 45 degree angle and the pillbox exploded.

Is this realistic? I'm trying to figure out how flame landing on top of the pillbox could take it out. Could the flame somehow have penetrated the rear door? I don't see how it could have gotten through the firing slit as the shot was from behind, unless it fell over the top and leaked into the firing slit?

Any ideas?

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Whats up bro. I'm a professional firefighter, and I'll tell you that direct flame impingement with the crew, or the pillboxes contents, would not be necesary to knock it out. The toxic gases created from the fuel mixture igniting, and the oxygen deficient atmosphere that results from that ignition would be enough to asphyxiate anyone in the heart of such an attack. At the very least, breathing and maintaining conciousness under those conditions would render the crew ineffective for a long time, providing their lungs weren't seered. In that case, they are the walking dead.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi,

To answer your question i have seen this happen, but only when the pillbox is located amongst scattered trees - you may find that the trees are burning?? Especialy if the tree tile is right over the pillbox smile.gif

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Thanks for the responses guys. The pillbox was in the clear though. Not a tree near it for a good 30 meters or more. Perhaps it was the fumes igniting inside the pillbox, or maybe the exhaust/fumes created from the 75mm inside the pillbox?

Von Brizee, you say the flame can get through the door. Can you explain how? From what I've read those doors were metal and usually fairly thick. Unless there used to be that inch of nothing under the door to let air inside like in modern houses now. If that's the case then oops, that plan backfired, eh? (no pun intended)

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.