Are you troubled about mods? I am!!.....

I just downloaded Gunslinger's wonderful mod package. After loading it up, I started to wonder which terrain mod I should use. There's so many to choose from. His terrain is great, but it's a bit too dull. The houses and trees were excellent, though! The other mods to the terrain claim additional realism, but I found them TOO detailed for a grass texture. So what do you do????

I guess we are all sort of consumers. With so much to choose from, it's a hard call. Each set of terrain have good and bad points to them, so I finally started to pick from each set for best of each. Believe it or not, I like the default grass the best. It doesn't overwhelm what's on it. I went ahead and created a sort of "dream Team" set of BMP's that I felt looked the most realistic. Here's an example. Below is a picture I took while retracing the footsteps of Donald Burgett, who wrote the book "Currahee" It was in this field that elements of the 502nd and 506th AIRs ran in the attack on the village of Les Droules, East of St Come Du Mont. The water in the foreground must of came from a naval gun, since it was here that a forward observer shelled a house to the right out of the picture. Some paras overran the barrage and were killed in the shelling. Alright, enough of the history lesson! Anyways, look just how light the grass looks, while the trees are so dark!

cm2.jpg

Now if you look at a CM version of the picture, I used the default grass and used the darker trees and bocage from Gunslinger's mod.

cm.jpg

Even then the real picture looks a lot lighter! But the default is about as light as you can get.......

Pick and choose what YOU feel are the best of all worlds. If it wasn't for the very hard work of the few dedicated mod squads out there, we wouldn't enjoy the game as we do now.....

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 09-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 09-09-2000).]

I d/loaded the Gunslinger MODS and had some major slowdown when the Tigers in the Private Ryan scenario entered the scene...

I went back to the MadDog MODS, and then ran down MadMatt's Mod list (newly updated) and grabbed what I wanted in the order he had listed...

I'm still d/loading, so I have yet to see what it all does to my system...

I think my mistake may have been grabbing Velvet Grass this time, I'm worried it's gonna crunch my in framerate. Also, I unfortunately forgot to b-up my BMP folder this time around...

If I need to restart, do I just drag and drop the bmp folder from the CD?

I have 3 BMP folders: New BMP, Old BMP and just BMP. I saved the two other "pure" BMP folders and collected bits from each since one was the original, and the the other had all of the mods in it.

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

I love the fact people are making mods to the game, however; I'm very glad that the only mods allowed are cosmetic in nature, only effect your own PC, and therefore do not effect play with other people.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

Good point. That would definately axe the PBEMs! This game just rocks, period. Every time I play it, I'm awed......... I've tried the miniatures thing before (via Cross Fore rules), but that just can't compare to this!

-Ski

------------------

I agree about the "cosmetic only" mods. Sometimes I think too many gameplay mods ruin games in the end... making it harder to find a multiplay game that has the same mod'ing as you. With CM, we can customize the hell out of it, and it only effects us.

Also, gameplay mods would possibly start to skew the realism of the game...