Slight Bug, AI doing something it shouldn't.

Hiya,

During snow environments, the AI likes to move its armor out and about without regards to roads (most of the time). And when the AI Armor comes under fire, it tends to duck into nearby scattered trees or find a good hull down position off road.

Needless to say, the AI armor (during snow) gets bogged and immobilized awfully fast. In a recent scenario, the AI was moving its' Tigers and Panthers 'along' the edge of a road, but physically in scattered trees. Bad bad bad. The armor never made it into the fight because of becoming bogged.

I find the A/I's primary goal is to get to the nearest flag, regardless of cost. In one scenario I created, the A/I sent two airborne companies in toward a flagged position and were almost totally eliminated by two german halftracks and two SS platoons. Instead of waiting for support units, (2 60MM Mortars and an HMG unit), to help clear the area. There is a paved road leading to the flagged area. Instead of using the benefits of wooded terrian, the A/I would always send the units down the sides of the road.

This offered little cover for the two airborne companies. Is the A/I prone to suicide charges?

Strat

I think I ran into a bug of my own. I am playing a team Desobty operation. I ran a Pioneer unit into a building that held a pinned US Engineer squad. The building was of the one story light variety. The first thing the Pioneer unit did was toss a satchel charge at a distance of 20 meters or less at the enemy indoors. The result? The whole damn building blew up and I lost 2/3 of my squad. Whats more is I took heavier casualties then my US counterpart!!

First, why in the heck would a soldier toss a satchel charge that close and indoors? I can see if the enemy was outside and I was in or vice-versa. Im at a loss.

There are those that will say that this is combat and such things occur. I disagree. For to make that statement, one says the game is without bounds and regulations. Even in the heat of battle, I don't think I would toss a satchel charge at an enemy squad who were inside a small home with me knowing that 8 of my cohorts were sure to take damage.

Thanks

TeAcH

Just some thoughts on the situation you describe, TeAch:

I've seen similar indoor use of satchel charges but with the building NOT exploding around the soldiers. In fact, nothing clears out enemy infantry faster. I think of the catastrophic explosions as just that: catastrophes that no one plans for.

Since the interiors of even the light buildings are somewhat abstracted, and are assumed to have several layers of (invisible) walls and doors, perhaps you should imagine that your Pioneers were throwing their satchel charge down a hall from a couple of rooms away, and that they didn't expect the whole house to come down. Bad luck for them, of course.

Well, I appreciate the comments. I guess Id like to hear the official BTS take on it when they arent busy working on a patch. Can it case an igniting of another satchel charge? Would the troops really toss one inside a small house like that? There were/are very powerful. Seems like suicide (and that was the result here). A grenade would be more appropriate.

TeAcH

You really also have to consider that fact that you really DONT know what you would do under heavy fire and combat stress. In a "world is comming apart" nasty firefight you might go mad with rage or fright and throw or shoot ANYTHING you had into that building. Trust me......stranger things have happened.

Yeah. That was my first thought too. But I want to truly know if this is HOW the game is modeled OR if this is a bug that needs attention. I guess I am not ruling out something like that from happening, I would just like to see the computer AI VERY restrictive on using satchel charges while in a light/small building against a foe that is indoors with me. The bug may lie in the fact that this is not restricted at all hence my point.

I think that in close combat (key word close), the very nature of a satchel charge would preclude it from being "tossed down a hallway". Correct me if I am wrong here, but those mamas pack a huge punch, as seen in my game.

You and me are part of a 9 man Pioneer Unit. We storm a small house crowded with an enemy squad. If I see you arming a satchel charge, I would charge you (in slow motion) and would tackle you screaming NOOO NOT HERE!!! TOO CLOSE!!

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 07-05-2000).]

Good point Teach.

As far as the "tanks off road in deep snow" question, I have noticed the same thing and even brought it up in a thread but really didnt get any response. I guess its just one of those things that a human does better than a computer.