Probably the worst MOD around... Italian Soldier and H39

Hi everybody,

I'm rather new to this Forum, even though I purchased Combat Mission some time ago, and I don't check it too often.

Some days ago I was reading something about the Italian counterattacks in the Sicily Campaign in July 1943 (ie: Livorno Inf. and "Gruppi Mobili" etc) and so I decided to make a little mod to represent the Italian soldier at that time.

The results are not too good, but I hope that in the future I'll make something more decent than this.

Here are some pics:

7577811ADfHLImDhu_photo.jpg

7577840vzQdVpNzSV_photo.jpg

Audace out

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

I seeeee..... Very interesting to say the least!

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Please send me your Italian mod. With your permission I would like to include it with my desert warfare TC. Maybe I could substitute the German volkstrum for Italians?

Is it possible you could do a desert war version of the French tank? It is a decent substitute for the M13/40 and certainly the Germans used French tanks in the desert.

MikeT

seacat@flash.net

Like the Lord general said, looks really interesting. Perhaps one day we will be able to use substitute models or even alter basic 3D shapes (like the helmets) slightly. Nice one.

Hey Oddball_E8, hows the Urban mod coming along?

Dunno about the Ities, but I'd luv to see a decent H39 mod. The original looks like a 1960's Flower Power volkswagen bus. Tiger (I think), did something that made it look a little (actually a lot), better. But yes, please fix the lil blighter.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Guys, thanks for your support! (thanks Maximus)

I've been working around the Infantry uniform in the afternoon, and now it looks way more Italian, in its "Grey-Green" colors.

(before it was too bright I think).

There were some modifications too.

Here it is now:

7590324sHlIWxIYxu_photo.jpg

The rifle is a Mod.91 long type, but I have done even a carbine version to use with it.

Regarding the tank: I have to say it's not perfect, and it misses a lot of stuff.

Actually I used a one-sided image only, so I had to imagine how the other parts would have looked like and tried to create them...

Here it's a pic:

7590309yFuvWvWZTF_photo.jpg

Napoleon1944 and MikeT: I've seen some North African Mod are coming, so eventually I'll try to create an H39 with colors of an M13/40, and change the Italian Mod.40 uniform with the Sahariana in a sand

yellow.

I tried to convert Volksturm with the new italian uniform, but I wasn't too satisfied with it. Maybe the Italians could replace the FJ or the SS?

MikeT and Oddball_E8: I've just sent it to you via email.

Magua!!: Do you remember me? I'm Riccardo, the one writing to you from Italy! wink.gif

Looks very good. Keep up the good work.

------------------

If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm any hostility

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magua:

Hey Oddball_E8, hows the Urban mod coming along?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its on hold at the moment... the operation that i made for it is not working right (not because of me tho, its the damned no-mans land thing) and we were in the middle of making buildings when some other guy came out and made these amazing buildings that just made us loose all hope of ever outdoing that... hmmm i cant seem to remember his name right now... wink.gif

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

Guest olebooya

This is gonna degenerate fast....so I'll add my 2 cents in

Why'd the Italians lose the war.........

When they requested more shells.....they got spaghetti..............

I tried to convert the "Sicily 1943" model to a Nord African one.

I know the H39 is not an M13/40, but they weren't that different, so I tried to insert a graphic of an M13 on the H39 in Combat Mission, so eventually in the future they will be recognized as M13/40.

There's still one problem though: The graphic isn't good, and it's at a very low resolution, I couldn't find a better side-picture of the tank. If I'll find something better in the future,or graphics for side-front-up and rear I'll try with that.

Again, I invented the graphic for the upper side of the tank, and for other smaller parts, as I didn't have a picture for them.

7608176YyBveauzvu_photo.jpg

7608232uIviwCpZpJ_photo.jpg

Audace out

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Very nice work on the tanks! I can't wait for the desert MOD to come out....

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

MB, I am planning on having mine done by early January.

Some things I have learned in a quicky battle today. Arty is a real killer. The vast open spaces of the desert give the spotter plenty of time to spot you and brings the rounds right on top of you. The Germans were stopped in an assualt on an American position. I also learned a real respect for the little M5 Stuart tank. That 37mm high velocity cannon can and does take out PzIVs at range. Its speed also comes in handy in those open spaces.

MikeT

Is it possible you could do a desert war version of the French tank? It is a decent substitute for the M13/40 and certainly the Germans used French tanks in the desert.

I can't recall ever having read of captured French armor used by Germany in the desert. The Italians most certainly would have been better off with it, though. smile.gif

Tris, I found a reference to the Germans using captured French F35s in June 1940. The book is called TANK BATTLES IN MINIATURE; A WARGAMERS' GUIDE TO THE WESTER DESERT CAMPAIGN 1940-1942

I am sure that this use wasn't widespread but for right now the only vehicle that is even close to the M13/40 is that H39

MikeT

Audace,

The side picture for the H39 that you've used is actually a Renault R35, which is why you're having trouble with the track and rear sprocket, since they're in totally different places. You might be better off cutting and pasting the BTS suspension back in, and recolouring it.

The M13/40 is interesting. Looking good. Surprisingly enough it is a moderately close match both in shape and specs. But of course the H39 gun is a 37 instead of a 47, so the Italians are going to be a little undergunned.

The same sort of swap should be easily achieved to make a Semovente da 75/34 M42 out of the Stug III.

I have 5-view pictures of both these vehicles; please email me if you want them, so that I can get around to scanning them. Need to know what size files you want.

Marco Bergam,

right! I didn't know it was a R35, and since it looked quite the same as the H39, I tried to insert the picture I've found.

I don't have a big knowledge about French tanks (and all other tanks too in general) smile.gif

I'll try to re-modify the suspension of the H39.

Yes, the M13 and the H39 are similiar, and they have similiar characteristics in shapes and performances.

Just emailed you about the pictures.

Yes, the since the Germans didn't use Stugs in North Africa, the IIIG could be "converted" to a Semovente da 75!

I was thinking that the actual german PSW 234/1 could easily be colored like an AB41 (same gun,about the same armor) and the Lynx could become an L.6 (20mm gun, 30mm armour, it's pretty close).

MikeT: did you receive my last email?

Audace, yes sir I did. Got busy late yesterday and had to give up thinking/working on the desert.

I did manage to alter the Stuart with some markings I found in a Squadron/Signals book. Now it has a dark yellow stripe around the hull with a dark yellow star. Also added US flag on the hull side.

Worked a little on the German uniforms. Now the desert tan helmet is matched with tan boots. I added a second water canteen, lightened up the Y-webbing, and added the DAK patch to the sleeves. Saddly since the same BMP is used on right and left the DAK patch is on both arms.

I worked up a single battle, sort of a mini-Kasssering pass type of thing. Got the force totally wrong and the DAK was creamed. Those little Stuarts are hell on bogies. Even at range those 37mms are accurate and deadly. The 105mm arty fire is also serious. I downgraded the US forces in size and experience and will take the fight again.

I think the Italianed French tank has uses. The color does seem a little bright. Is it possible to tone it down a little to a darker yellow?

Do you plan to do something with tanned Italian forces. There is one problem. I was planning to use them in place of the Volkstrum. However they use the same hat BMP as the tankers which is black. So I turned the hats to desert yellow with mixed results. Problem is not that the Italian troops have desert hats but gray uniforms.

I think I must rethink my approach to them completely.

Mike