Why can't I give my tank an order?

I am playing the Axis side in an e-mail match with a friend. During one turn, I could not give any orders to my tanks. I could select them, but was not allowed to tell them to do anything. I was able to give orders to all of my other units without trouble.

Does anyone know what happened to cause this?

Thanks!

Guest Scott Clinton

Known bug, to be fixed in a patch to be released the same day the game ships.

For now, try re-loading the email game, I read that sometimes works...sometimes not.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Yes, it has happened to many of us (myself included). It seems to only happen in PBEM games and only lasts a turn. It is a bug that BTS is aware of. Don't worry, your tank will act properly in the next turn.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

I belive Steve stated that reloding the file several times should help, as there is some sort of randomness if a certain variable gets a certain value or not, in which case it wont accept orders for the turn...

not sure where he posted it though....

but hope that helps... wink.gif

Damn, i love those smiles biggrin.gif

------------------

-- TargetDrone

who doesn't want to draw attention...

especially from guys with big guns ...

It may be just coincidental, but trashing the auto-saved game has worked for me in the past.

On the other hand, I also was reloading the turn as Scott Clinton indicated, so I don't know for certain which one works best.

To be safe, I do both.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

Hi

I've had this problem too, but...

The problem has been "worked around"

The problem appeared around turn 10 in VoT the turn after the American's got their reinforcements as stated two Shermans could not be issued orders to (very bad english I know)

But now the file works fine on a Beige G3 at work Both Computers are macs, I think the file was sent from a PC, the file was large over

250k and it did include a movie file that I watched before I could plot my turn

Both are G3's the one at work that ran the file successfuly is a Biege G3 running 8.6 and it "saw" the file as an Adobe Acrobat file type when it came down from e-mail the Laptop that did not like the file last night is a G3 333 mHz running OS 9.04 and it did not "see" the file as an acrobat file. but it works now on the G3 running 8.6 where the file icon is interpreted as an Adobe Acrobat file type, even though it has the .txt extension, Macs don't know about extensions any way so it does not matter.

Hope that helps someone else,

I've had this problem three times playin VoT on a Mac Vs a player in PBEM on a PC

the Beige G3 is running Mac OS 8.6 and the problematic laptop is running Mac OS 9.0.4

-tom w

Charles posts in the "Bug or Feature?" Thread back on page 3 or 4:

"The occasional tank who you "can't give orders to" is a PBEM bug which we've fixed

recently. That fix will be part of the v1.01 patch that we'll make available as soon as the

game ships.

For the time being, a workaround that occasionally works is to quit the scenario and

reload the PBEM file. Or sometimes quitting the game and restarting it. The trouble is that the PBEM file isn't updating an internal value, so it's "random" and if it's the "wrong" random value, the tank can't get orders. But like I said it's fixed now.

Charles

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 06-06-2000).]

Thanks to all who responded. I will ask my opponent to skip giving his tanks orders for a turn, so we're even. smile.gif

aka_tom_w

=========

I am also a Mac user, with both a B&W G3 and G3 Powerbook. I am running OS 9.04 on each, and both play C.Mission great.

If I may, I have two suggestions for your troubles with your Mac mis-recognizing "txt" files as something else.

I'm sure you know of the File Exchange control panel, which helps the Mac figure out ".xyz" extensions from the DOS world. Check that "txt" is being interpreted properly.

You mentioned icons not appearing correctly. The routine maintenance for that is to re-build the Desktop at startup.

Thanks for your answers to my disobedient tank question!

------------------

--

Toad

Mac user

Ontario, Canada