The War To End All Wars " WW I "

I do not have a problem with CM 2, it is already in development and sounds interesting. But CM 3 & 4 is just a re-hash of CM 1 & 2...why not try something else.

In regard to the nay sayers about WW I, let me state the following:

- All nay sayers have left out mention about the tanks:

Until the tank rumbled, the front may have moved 100 metres per day and then the first day the tanks rolled, the front line move 6 miles !! So please do not tell me a WW I scenario is just another "shoot'em up" I think it would be great !!

- All nay sayers have stated that it would be boring and the casualties would be to high !

Yes the casualties would be high...but that is war, this is the WW I scenario...high body counts, digging under ground tunnels and placing explosives under the enemy, bi-planes dropping bomblets, think of the old artillery pieces off board, how about a "Sturmpanzerwagen A7V" quite literally a giant steel box with many machine gun ports on tracks 'imagine' the pain you could inflict on the Allies....now that is fun !! How about a pair of "Tank MkV" crashing through the barb wire leading an infantry assault or storming a pill box on a hill, with the old rifles and minimal support !!

GIVE ME A WW I SCENARIO OR GIVE ME DEATH...

In regard to the modern combat version of CM, a modern army now considers the front to be mobile and extends fifty kilometre's deep. I believe somebody mentioned the front is 2 to 4 km, this is simply incorrect.

Regards,

Warmonger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmonger:

- All nay sayers have left out mention about the tanks - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll say something about them:

The engine in the Mk IV's was set in an open mount in the center of the vehicle with no ventilation --- crews had to dismount the vehicle, and take turns driving it to the jump-off point (at a zippy 4 mph), to avoid passing out from carbon-monoxide poisoning!

Most tanks never even made it into combat --- they usually suffered mechanical breakdowns on the way there, or bogged down in mud / craters / entanglements while advancing on the battlefield (ala Passchendaele).

Even at Cambrai, where the Brits employed some 400 tanks, they still only managed to advance a whole 3 miles before the Germans counter-attacked with their Stosstruppen and negated the British gains.

If I want to get in a lilltle WWI action, I'll stick to Red Baron II, thanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmonger:

I do not have a problem with CM 2, it is already in development and sounds interesting. But CM 3 & 4 is just a re-hash of CM 1 & 2...why not try something else.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may be missing something but BTS has announced what CM 3 & 4 are going to be? Instead of changing wars, why not try changing theatres first? Anyone here ever heard of the Pacific before? wink.gif

Kitty

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

I may be missing something but BTS has announced what CM 3 & 4 are going to be? Instead of changing wars, why not try changing theatres first? Anyone here ever heard of the Pacific before? wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't they tell you? There's no Germans in that there PTO!

biggrin.gif

Cav

------------------

"Maneuverists have a bad case of what may be called, to borrow from a sister social science, 'Wehrmact penis envy.'"--D. Bolger

Co-Chairman of the CM Jihad Brigade

"AS far as Steve and BTS (mostly Steve) are concerned, you are either a CM die-hard supporter, or you are dirt. If you question the game, implementation, or data models they used, you are some kind of neo-Nazi wanna-be, and become an open target for CavScout, SlippySlapDragon, and all the other sycophants who hang on Steves every word."-- Jeff Heidman [comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical]

You want a WWI scenario? Okay... Make a map. deep mud. Lots of barbed wire. Everyone is either a sniper or a MG. That should simulate the weapons pretty closely. Both sides get lots and lots of FO's with maxxed out ammo. No real way to simulate the gas attacks but enough mortars should cover that... No way to simulate the trenches but rough terrain kinda does it... If you want some tanks I guess you could include some hotchkises except that they're on the wrong side... Everything else is too effective. Actually the hotchkiss is too effective too... are you begining to see the problem with a WWI scenario? From a military POV it was a pretty simple war. I think it's fascinating historically but it wouldn't make a good game.

Just curious about this: IMO WWI was the worst war as far as sheer brutality of combat and life goes and the one with the worst aftershocks. Any other votes?

I agree about modern warfare..good qoute ..well done!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

If any CM installment is done on present day warfare, I won't be buying it. There's no more romance left in war nowadays. It's just get lock-on, push a button, and watch whatever's on your scope go bye-bye. How boring.

I'm also not looking forward to anything done in North Africa. Having tank battles from 3000m out doesn't appeal to me. Infantry will be useless and please don't try to convince me otherwise. If Charles and Steve do decide to do this though, I may consider buying this one only for the Meditteranean scenarios which sound interesting.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another problem with WW1 is time scale. A 1 hour simulation is ok for a tussle in CM -- works out well for making sure ammo reloads is not a game mechanism. But in WW1 60 minutes was nothing for that form of slow motion combat.

You want a war in that era I would choose the Boer War. The Moder and Reit River battles, Mafeking, Railway Hill, Spion Kop, the last war of manuever by men on foot before the machinegun, artillery, and barbed wire truly took over the battlefield.

The kicker is 9 out of 10 people have probably never heard of the Boer War (on this list though it should be better) and how many Boer Grogs are there to contribute and buy the game? Anyone contemplate the modelling of a Mauser at long ranges in a dust storm recently? Anyone read the letters of Hendrick Prinsloo in an attempt to define the differences between Boer and British leadership styles?

Imagine the forum for CM-Boer War as we tussle over Milner's racism, Baden-Powell's homosexuality (he was not, though, a pedophile, but I still laugh my butt off that the Boy Scout's founder was gay!), the ability of Boer Burghers to ride long distances and sustain extreme hardship, but how they broke up under heavy casualties. Imagine the mods that give us the oddly painted "Long Toms" the red feathers in Aussie troop's hats, and the gold bug irregulars odd jackets. Great fun, a great game idea!

Except, no one would buy it frown.gif .

Warmonger

I did design a WWI scenario for CM

A hundred Germans on a slight rise with a double belt of wire and trenches made of rubble.They have 7 MG pill boxes & 3 FO's

I made two versions, one had 1200 British soldiers attacking

A second with 900 British infantry and 4 Kangaroos (closest thing to a WWI tank I could find!)

I ran the scenario 9 times. The Brits won once but took 400 casualties and the other eight times they stalled at the wire and squads getting thru were machined gun by the support trench.

I ran the tank version 7 times with the Brits winning all but once (in that one all four tanks bogged or were hit by artillery)

The battles at the wire were intense but when they would break thru (while the artillery from both sides beat down) the support line would cut them to pieces.

Mortars and flamethrowers were usefull if they could survive the barrage. The tanks ability to run thru the wire and directly machine gun the Germans in the "rubble" trenches was key.

All in all, ghastly! Ernst Junger would have loved it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hans:

Warmonger

I did design a WWI scenario for CM

A hundred Germans on a slight rise with a double belt of wire and trenches made of rubble.They have 7 MG pill boxes & 3 FO's

I made two versions, one had 1200 British soldiers attacking

A second with 900 British infantry and 4 Kangaroos (closest thing to a WWI tank I could find!)

I ran the scenario 9 times. The Brits won once but took 400 casualties and the other eight times they stalled at the wire and squads getting thru were machined gun by the support trench.

I ran the tank version 7 times with the Brits winning all but once (in that one all four tanks bogged or were hit by artillery)

The battles at the wire were intense but when they would break thru (while the artillery from both sides beat down) the support line would cut them to pieces.

Mortars and flamethrowers were usefull if they could survive the barrage. The tanks ability to run thru the wire and directly machine gun the Germans in the "rubble" trenches was key.

All in all, ghastly! Ernst Junger would have loved it!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if this is a positive or a negative. It sounds like the players would have a ball playing that scenario smile.gif