Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Lost with Steam

I am a long-time but infrequent player of some of the BN games.  I don't have any major issues with the switch to Steam.  But I do have some  questions.

How do I purchase new games?  I can no longer get to the old website but I can get to the Steam site with all of the games.  Do I just purchase them from Steam from now on?  (most of them look to be on sale!!!)Are the Steam purchased games completely compatible with the old ones?  i.e. is BN Battle Pack 1 and 2 (purchased through Steam) compatible with the base BN game (purchased through battlefront.com)?    

Is there a website that explains all of the changes due to the change over to Steam?

11 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

I am a long-time but infrequent player of some of the BN games.  I don't have any major issues with the switch to Steam.  But I do have some  questions.

How do I purchase new games?  I can no longer get to the old website but I can get to the Steam site with all of the games.  Do I just purchase them from Steam from now on?  (most of them look to be on sale!!!)Are the Steam purchased games completely compatible with the old ones?  i.e. is BN Battle Pack 1 and 2 (purchased through Steam) compatible with the base BN game (purchased through battlefront.com)?    

Is there a website that explains all of the changes due to the change over to Steam?

There was no change over to Steam. The change over was to Slitherine. But, all of the games are also available on Steam (the WW2 titles joined the modern titles on Steam over the course of 2023).

As for the changes due to the change over, this FAQ might be a good place to start: https://www.slitherine.com/battlefront-acquisition-faq

If you have more specific questions you can ask them here and I'm sure there will be someone who knows the answer.

Just to answer a couple of the specific questions you've already posed

29 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

How do I purchase new games?

Either through the Slitherine website (https://www.slitherine.com/store) or through Steam. There are advantages to purchasing through Slitherine. First, you get a Steam key from Slitherine, but you don't get a Slitherine license from Steam. Second, purchasing from Slitherine more directly supports the developers, since Steam takes a significant cut. DO NOT repurchase any of the games that you've already bought from Battlefront (it won't cause any problems if you do, but there is absolutely no need for you to repurchase anything). You can no longer access the Battlefront store page, but you can still log in and access your Battlefront license keys (the old Battlefront url should bring you to a Matrix login page, which will allow you to access the Battlefront keys on your old Battlefront account). The FAQ contains a link to where you can turn in your Battlefront licenses for Slitherine licenses.

29 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

Do I just purchase them from Steam from now on?  (most of them look to be on sale!!!)

Yeah it looks like the Combat Mission games are on sale this week on Steam. So I suppose that's one advantage to getting them from Steam. You can get them for cheap right this very minute. But BFCElvis informs me that Slitherine runs sales about as often as Steam. And again, if you wait for a Slitherine sale you'll get a Steam key too.

Edited by Centurian52

Thank you.   I think I'm starting to understand. 

One last question for now.  Whether I purchase from steam or slitherine, I don't have to run the games through steam or slitherine, correct?  I would just double click the icon on my desk top and play with steam or slitherine.  Correct?

I'll make my purchases and see what happens.  

55 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

One last question for now.  Whether I purchase from steam or slitherine, I don't have to run the games through steam or slitherine, correct?  I would just double click the icon on my desk top and play with steam or slitherine.  Correct?

I can't speak to how Steam works, but if you purchase from Slitherine, it installs as a normal app, click on the desktop icon and it runs without any agent. The only pitfall is that you're on the hook for running your own updates - which isn't too big a deal.

Edited by OldSarge

Well, I thought I had this figured out.  I already own CMBN and CMBN CW.  I tried to purchase CMBN MG through steam and got the following - 

Your account doesn't own some items that are required for purchasing the items in your cart. You can add the missing items or adjust the contents of your cart to continue.

Obviously, it doesn't recognize I own the two that I do.  Those two were purchased a long time ago through battlefront.com.  How do I get steam to see those purchases in my account?  Or is there a better way to do this?

You'll need to register your BF games on the Slitherine site.  See the link to the FAQ that @Centurian52 included in his post above. In it, you'll find a section explaining how to register your BF serial # at the Slitherine site. On either the Matrix or Slitherine sites, just go to My Page -> My-Menu and click on Register Serial, it should present you with the option to select a game title and enter the serial # for that title.

Or submit a ticket and @BFCElvis will be delighted to help you out. 😎

Edited by OldSarge

14 hours ago, Sluggo-337 said:

If you purchase on Steam you will only run on Steam.

If you purchase on Matrix you get a choice between Matrix install and Steam install. And macOS.

26 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

Where do I get my serial numbers from past purchases on battlefront.com?  I know I have seen this before and gotten them there but cannot find them now that battlefront.com is gone.

Go to the Battlefront website (https://battlefront.com). The store page is gone, but the Battlefront URL will take you to a Matrix login page. Login using your Battlefront credentials, and you'll be able to access your Battlefront purchase history.

Edited by Centurian52

Well....it's two steps forward and one step back.  I got my serial numbers from battlefront.  I have three - one from the original CMBN purchase, one from the commonwealth module, and one from the CMBN engine 3 & 4 upgrade..  I also got a steam key for CMBN.  Under myGames on slitherine both CMBN and CM commonwealth module show up.  They both have a link for a file download.  Do I need to do both of these?  I did the first one for CMBN.  I successfully launched the game from Steam but only have engine 1 showing.  

image.thumb.png.63f3e8791c2281822a84d04ffc39a8c6.png

I then tried to register my serial numbers.  The first two (for CMBN engine 1 and commonwealth) both said they we not valid for the game selected.  The third one (for CMBN engine 3 & 4 said you already redeemed this serial.  ??????How do I get the commonwealth module too show up?

I'm sure this is mostly if not all my fault   But I'd like to get this working before the sale runs out so I can buy more stuff!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

Well....it's two steps forward and one step back.  I got my serial numbers from battlefront.  I have three - one from the original CMBN purchase, one from the commonwealth module, and one from the CMBN engine 3 & 4 upgrade..  I also got a steam key for CMBN.  Under myGames on slitherine both CMBN and CM commonwealth module show up.  They both have a link for a file download.  Do I need to do both of these?  I did the first one for CMBN.  I successfully launched the game from Steam but only have engine 1 showing.  

image.thumb.png.63f3e8791c2281822a84d04ffc39a8c6.png

I then tried to register my serial numbers.  The first two (for CMBN engine 1 and commonwealth) both said they we not valid for the game selected.  The third one (for CMBN engine 3 & 4 said you already redeemed this serial.  ??????How do I get the commonwealth module too show up?

I'm sure this is mostly if not all my fault   But I'd like to get this working before the sale runs out so I can buy more stuff!!!!!

Looks like you've got Engine 4 running. And I believe v4.05 is the latest version. My experience is that you don't need to register the engine 3&4 serials separately, Slitherine just gives you the latest version (the system probably sees it as a new purchase of CMBN, and all new purchases are already the latest version). You registered CMBN, it gave you the latest version, and when you went to register engines 3&4 it just saw that as an attempt to re-register CMBN.

I haven't used the Slitherine installer yet, so I don't know if you need both downloads. If the screenshot is the game launched from Steam then the way to get the Commonwealth module to show up will be to get a Steam key for the Commonwealth module. It'll be the exact same process you went through for the base game. You don't need separate Steam keys for engine upgrades. But all modules and battle packs will need their own Steam keys.

Success.  Thanks to Centurian52, OldSarge, and Redwolf for their help and patients.  Not only was I able to get my existing games to work but I was also able to purchase, install, and get running Market Garden, Battle Pack 1, Battle Pack 2, the Vehicle Pack, as well as the entire Red Thunder bundle.  I am good to go for a while.