Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Anyone using new V3 drivers? (version 1.06)

I installed them last night. They seem to be either no different or worse. I have not seen any noticeable performance changes. The "white-out" bug still is there, though maybe with reduced frequency (I never had it too bad, but I just played the first battle of Stolberg - Punching a Hole, and made it through with full detail and the bug only hitting me once. It previously would get me about once a turn on that operation, so I never got past the first battle.). I used to have my monitor set to 85hz refresh rate, and now the adapter settings only allows me 75. Finally, I had to uninstall the previous version of 3dfx tools before I could install the new drivers.

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

I have played and finished several large battles and operations including Caranten and have yet to see any "White out Bug." What is it?

I had the game crash once when it froze up in a large battle where there was tons of smoke, fire and explosions. I always play with FULL detail on but I have a computer that can take it.

Johnno

[This message has been edited by Johnno (edited 11-11-2000).]

The white-out bug has been complained of much in the tech support forum. Here is a link to one thread: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000388.html

Consider yourself blessed if you haven't hit it yet. It is an acknowledged bug in the V3 drivers, but nobody seems to know the cause. Computing power doesn't seem to play a role, with high-end Intel and AMD chips showing the bug. You can find my machine's configuration in that thread I linked, and it is pretty fast.

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The white-out bug has been complained of much in the tech support forum. [...] Consider yourself blessed if you haven't hit it yet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bleh! That sounds terrible! I guess I'm blessed, then, since I've never seen anything like that on my AGP V3 3000. That does make me hesitant to download the new driver, though: if it ain't broke....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WendellM:

Bleh! That sounds terrible! I guess I'm blessed, then, since I've never seen anything like that on my AGP V3 3000. That does make me hesitant to download the new driver, though: if it ain't broke....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly... never seen it, don't want to.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

YAAARGH!

That thread made it sound like THIS version of the drivers (v 1.06) should have fixed the bug... but apparantly that's not the case.

I just know that now that I know what the bug is, I'm gonna start getting it every turn on every game...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I fully expected this driver revision to fix it, but no dice. I usually only see the bug on very large scenarios. All or Nothing is guaranteed to cause it within two turns. Hopefully your charm will hold!

------------------

I know it doesn't help CM but these drivers seem to have helped all my other video problms. (I was very close to throwing my "new" V3 3000 in the bin)CM would only work with drivers 1.05 (but still whited out), Rogue spear would work with anything OTHER than 1.05, and SWAT3, USAF, Hidden & Dangerous (to name a few) wouldn't work with any drivers.

With this new set everything seems stable. I haven't played CM for more than half an hour so I still don't know about whiteouts, but none yet. BTW has anyone else ever had a brown-out. I got one when trying out drivers 1.03

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 11-15-2000).]

The 'white out' problem will most often occur if you're running at over 1024 x 768. The problem happens much less frequently if you're running at that resolution or lower.

Large maps/scenarios (such as "Move it or Lose it") will aggravate this affect further causing the problem to occur quicker or more frequently.