Sign the boy up!

I am playing a PBEM right now, where I am German defender in a small village, being assaulted by the Canadian opponent.

In one turn I had a half-track rather deep inside the village on a road doing some suppressive fire towards a patch of woods, where I suspect a bunch of infantry is hiding out.

I was watching another part of the action when I heard a metallic explosion. I checked back, and my half-track had been knocked out. I initially thought there was some armour that had snuck in and taken out the vehicle.

So I rewond the tape and looked at what was happening. So there was my halftrack, happily machine gunning away, when out of the woods comes sailing a black round object. It flies directly into the back of the half-track, and boom...knockout.

Now I dont know how far in metres this could have been, but it was quite a ways back. The accuracy was perfect, the spiral amazing. I thought "Now here is a CFL(canadian football league) superstar just waiting to happen".

Could it have been something else, or was it the fore-father of Doug Floutie showing the world that Canadians can play football?

[This message has been edited by Melloj (edited 08-23-2000).]

Small black objec, huh? Sounds like a little 'zook man snuck up your tuckus. Don't want to hang too close. Sometimes they pull off amazing shots

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

Doug Flutie was born in Maryland and played college football at Boston College.

While he did enjoy a period of success playing in the CFL, he is by no means a Canadian.

So, AFAIK, Canadians still cannot play football..

biggrin.gif

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 08-23-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jdmorse:

Small black objec, huh? Sounds like a little 'zook man snuck up your tuckus. Don't want to hang too close. Sometimes they pull off amazing shots<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except in this case it was likely a PIAT.

Michael

Ahhh Shaddu....

smile.gif

Ok well umm...

I am not really a football fan, I live in Toronto, and Doug Floutie was a hero of sorts here...so thats the name i used.

I am a hockey buff. Apologies for trying to claim him for the Great White North. Anybody care to provide a good Can. QB that I could insert in place of Mr.USA, so that I dont look totally dumb.

Thanks for pointing out the error Jeff.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Except in this case it was likely a PIAT.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed when i saw it, that it was a Grenade, due to its "football toss" like arc trajectory...

[This message has been edited by Melloj (edited 08-23-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

And the PIAT isn't rocket-propelled so you don't get the WHOOOOSH and smoke plume you see with the bazooka, panzerfaust and panzershreck. PIAT teams can be hard to spot...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and the projectile, in the playbacks I've watched, really does look something like a lofting football. As has been pointed out, the Piat was a spring loaded device, rather like a crossbow (what an odd thing to come up with, in some ways), so you don't get that flat trajectory you get with the rocket propellant AT stuff. They're a pain to hit things with (in the game), but when they do they seem to invariably take it down. I've had Piats knock out Tiger I's (okay, it was pretty lucky...)

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Yes, and the projectile, in the playbacks I've watched, really does look something like a lofting football<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure BTS made the PIAT projectile bright yellow, so it is easier to see. Don't get me wrong here, i'm not sure. But please to correct me if i am wrong. Thanks,

King Tiger22

Well....i could be mistaken, but if i had the chance i'd take out a halftrack with a mortar.

I agree that mortar shells do not resemble a football, but then, i'm not a footy fan and occasionally mortar shells look kinda big. smile.gif

------------------

And remember kids....dressing up like Hitler in school, is NOT cool!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

At guns DO tend to lob shots, don't they.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, no. In fact, they are among the flattest trajectory weapons in the WW II armory.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King Tiger22:

Hi, I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure BTS made the PIAT projectile bright yellow, so it is easier to see. Don't get me wrong here, i'm not sure. But please to correct me if i am wrong. Thanks,

King Tiger22<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I've lofted tons of them at German tanks at this point, and none of them were yellow.

Leland's got a good point about Piats being hard to spot. I've had them make numerous shots against tanks without drawing fire from either the tank or nearby infantry, unlike schrecks and bazookas, who pretty much call down a firestorm with their first shot. Also, buttoned tanks don't seem to realize they're being shot at, sometimes, with Piats, so they don't try to withdraw. Not as true with human players, of course, who watch that projectile lob in and decide to remove the vehicle to healthier climes...

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goofy:

We need the "twang" kind of sound of the spring to make it right! I remember that from "A Bridge Too Far", sounded like some kind of broken toy. The French had them also didn't they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know if the French had them, the Canadians are using them in the game, of course. I have a love/hate relationship with the Piat. Even veteran troops seem to have a fair amount of difficulty hitting with them. Also, they're slow to reload (this improves with troop quality, of course). But when they hit, they almost invariably seem to take out their target (most standard AFVs, anyway, haven't used them much against the really big boyos).

------------------