O/T: Tabletop wargamers, I need your help!

I have gamed w/ miniatures for years (15/20/25/28/54mm) but am just planning to move into 6mm WWII. Therefore I need recomendations on figures (6mm), terrain, and rules. I am interested in Regimental to divisional size battles (no 1:1 stuff) dealing w/ the early war years ('39 to '42). If you recommend a particular rule set please include why and what the scale of the game is. Thanks in advance for any responses. Please feel free to post any 6mm army pics. as well. Cheers.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

Hi Red Devils

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

I have gamed w/ miniatures for years (15/20/25/28/54mm) but am just planning to move into 6mm WWII. Therefore I need recomendations on figures (6mm), terrain, and rules. I am interested in Regimental to divisional size battles (no 1:1 stuff) dealing w/ the early war years ('39 to '42). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well IMHO the best set of rules for what you are looking to play are Spearhead (http://members.xoom.com/ww2spearhead/)

Units are Platoons/Troops of Tanks and Inf (ie 1 model Tank = 3-5 Real Tanks) and basic elements of manouvere are Battalions.

Some abstracted systems but very playable in reasonable time with large forces (ie several Bttns per side)

It is my preferred set for 6mm

Of similar scale (ie roughly 1:5) is Command Decision now in its 3rd edition

(http://www.primenet.com/~bgeipel/cdmailer.html) prior to Spearhead I used this set but it is more complex and suited to much smaller games IMHO (ie max 4 Bttns per side). Despite similar scaling the basic unit of manouvre is the Company.

A new set which I have purchased but not used as yet is Battlefront WWII (by authors of ACW Fire & Fury set)

(http://www.fireandfury.com/)

A slightly different scale with i model = 2-3 Afvs or Combat Teams. No early War stuff included yet as only 1944-45 (but due in expansion set)

Personally I find GHQ Micro ARmour to be by far best available in 6mm (but very expensive here in UK) also nice are CinC (not sure of availability of these) but I also use some Hoeriocs & Ros, Scotia and Irregular. H&R figures are good.

Adler in UK have a very nice range of 6mm WWII which are tad larger than H&R (ie dont mix well) but would be my choice if I was starting out.

Ref terrain etc and other rulsets figure manufacturers check out the relevant sections of the excellent resource site

'The Miniatures Page'

(http://theminiaturespage.com/)

If you want more detailed opinions from moi please feel free to email me and I will try to respond and 'mightily bored you will be' smile.gif

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

In the states, I'd go with GHQ, as they do mail order, CnC is hard to find, and getting any of the British stuff, (scotia,Ros etc)

is nearly impossible. Can't give you a rule set, since I play 1:1 (yes we do regimental battles) for the most part we use GHQ's own TankCharts, albiet heavily modified to fit our ideas cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

As I've indicated on other threads, I recommend Spearhead for rules and GHQ for minis.

SH is pretty goofy detail-wise, but very sound mechanics-wise. Plays easily and quickly.

GHQ is relatively expensive but worth it and easy to get here in the States.

-dale

Ok, here are my recommendations. For vehicles and such, go with GHQ. For infantry, Ros Heroics (they are the most durable), but GHQ has new lines of infantry that might work out nicely.

For rules, try Spearhead or Clash of Armor. Both model command control well. What I use is an old set (Korps Commander) for combat and Clash of Armor for the command rules.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Silesian-jaeger

I just got ahold of the new line of infantry from GHQ. They are great, better than H&R. Happy modeling!

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

Guest Mike the bike

I second Dalem's thoughts on Spearhead - good mechanics, but the "order change" system is just so stupid that it put me right off it (unless they've changed it recently?)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt Steiner:

Command Decision now in its 3rd edition

(http://www.primenet.com/~bgeipel/cdmailer.html)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New address: http://www.geipelnet.com/cdmailer/cdmailer.html

This is my favourite game, but as Steiner wrote it's not suited to have more than a regiment per player. Then you can have many players in one game...

For miniatures I'd go by budget.

High budget ($2/tank), top quality: GHQ all over.

Low budget ($0.3/tank), moderate-low quality: H&R/Navwar and Scotia.

- I use H&R/Navwar...

Cheers

Olle

I own both Spearhead and Command Decision. I'm throwing my weight wholly behind CD...

It would appear that Spearhead's main advantage is in its modelling of the differing C&C cabailities of the various forces, and CD tends to abstract this a little, however, I do prefer the CD combat and morale models.

I'm not sure what the Spearhead mailing list is like, not being on it, but CD is very well supported and Frank Chadwick (Game designer) is an active participant.

As for models...

I've played with Skytrex, Heroics and Ross and GHQ.

There's no denying that GHQ is the best miniature maker of the lot. At 1/285 vs the other two's 1/300, the extra size (Which is noticeable if you put the two next to each other) probably helps contribute to this. However, I really don't think they're worth the cost.

H&R's can be plenty detailed enough. Their T-80Us are a thing of beauty, really. And for the price.. I paid about 28 or 32 pence (About 50 cents at the time) per model by mail order from Tabletop Games in the UK. I have another order planned, though I live in the US now, I think it's worth it.. GHQ were running at about $6 per three tanks if I recall. I'm not that rich! Not since I have an entire Soviet MRR in CD terms! (And a couple of NATO brigades). Heck, I've an entire Italian Armored (WW2) division of H&R stuff. Couldn't do it with GHQ, I don't believe.

I have decided to avoid Skytrex like the plague. As a rule, they seem to be mal-proportioned. They are obvious representations of whatever they model, but for the same price don't hold a candle to H&R.

NTM

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Anyone used the GHQ terrain kits? How hard are they to model and are they worth the cost? What other terrain makers do you use/ like?