Ultimate Barb Wire Spotting Bug

Hey, BTS.

I saw something in a game last night that I don't think I should have been able to.

I am playing a game against Meeks. It is night battle where I am the Amis attacking a wooded area. The visibility is only at 185 meters. What is totally messed up is that since the frist turn I can see Meeks barb wire obstical placed WAY back in the woods at about 500 meters away.

There should be NO way I can see this but I can. I mentioned it to Meeks after the first turn since I thought that was fair and he was just as amazed as I was.

I have the movie if you guys need to see it.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

You're absolutely right.

No one should ever be allowed to see Barb Wire.

What a freaking horrible movie that was.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA!

Good one biggrin.gif

------------------

“You’ve got it all wrong, son. There’s no such thing as a ‘dangerous weapon.’ There are no dangerous weapons, there are only dangerous men. We’re trying to teach you to be dangerous- to the enemy.”

--Sergeant Zim

I can understand things like concrete bunkers and the such but barb wire is NOT hard to put up. It takes very little time when one has the right tools and enough men to do it.

This barb wire is place like 50 meters back into a heavy woods at night to boot. I would think that you SHOULDN'T be able to see this.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 10-20-2000).]

Night-time battles were generally scouted out first in daytime. Is it a probe? An attack? In those cases the enemy certainly wouldn't have put up the wire overnight.

AARs I've been reading suggest that wire was thrown up as soon as damn possible when in defence, and gradually added to over time.

I'd be interested in BTS's opinion smile.gif

PeterNZ

Hey,

It shouldn't be visible if its following the same rules as the other Fortifications. I have had wooden MG bunkers, concrete bunkers and roadblocks all remain unspotted until I had valid LOS. There is no reason I can think of that barb wire should be easily spotted when the others aren't. I, too, have played games with 1.05 where I could see barbed wire placed in woods on the opposite side of a hill with no valid LOS from any of my units, but it showed up on the map turn 1.

Probably a tiny bug, but only BTS knows for sure.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeT:

I wasn't aware that the ingame movies could be saved! How do you do that?

Can I assume that there is a way to save in game photos as well? I can find to reference to either feature in the hot keys section of the manual.

MikeT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi there,

to save the movie, you will have to save the game just before you are ready to hit the GO button. Load file, hit GO button, watch movie, then Alt-A to quit.

Screenshots: Hit the Print Screen button when you have the picture you want, then minimize CM, open Paint or something like it, then open a new document and hit Ctrl-V to paste it in. Hope you see this, MikeT.

DeanCo--

Deanco,

If you do that, whoever loads up that saved game and presses GO will get a different result, as the computer calculates what happens at that time. That being said, in this case, it doesn't matter, because it would still show the barbed wire regardless of what happens to the men and vehicles.

MikeT,

He was able to save the movie because he is playing a PBEM game. I don't know of any way to save a single-player movie, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Hi BeWary,

Yeah, you're right. I was in a hurry when I answered so I didn't give all the details. I guess at this point that is the closest you can come to saving a movie in single player, which is what I figured he was asking. But, yeah, MikeT, it may come out differently each time you load it because the computer rolls the dice differently each time. Hope that makes sense.

DeanCo--

MikeT,

I'm pretty sure you'll need to send your friends these BMPs before they'll be able to see them. The save game files/movies don't also store the BMPs in them.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.