Making parts of uniforms transparent

Is there a way to have parts of uniforms transparent in the BMP format that Combat Mission uses?

I know there is a way to make all of a texture transparent, like making chin straps invisible in various mods.

I want to make shoulder straps invisible in various CM:A uniforms, this game has the shoulder strap in another part of the uniform texture, not in the shoulder, and it puts it in the shoulder ingame, so editing it is quite difficult, making it transparent would be way easier. Does that make any sense?

6 hours ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Is there a way to have parts of uniforms transparent in the BMP format that Combat Mission uses?

I know there is a way to make all of a texture transparent, like making chin straps invisible in various mods.

I want to make shoulder straps invisible in various CM:A uniforms, this game has the shoulder strap in another part of the uniform texture, not in the shoulder, and it puts it in the shoulder ingame, so editing it is quite difficult, making it transparent would be way easier. Does that make any sense?

Try this.

To let "disappear" uniforms or what else check the mod of MOS with his helmets mod, and "paint" the part that you want "delete" in black, save your bmp in black.
This is the methods that I use to let "desapear things" like amunition pouch, gaz mask or whatever.
Hope this help you

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Not sure I understand. What do you mean save the BMP in black?

Just to be clear, I want to make invisible part of a bmp, not the whole BMP

Is true, I never let desapear a part of a picture but always completely.

I will make myself some test from a part of bmp to see how it's works !

Hope that you will find somebody with the correct answer.

Sorry cannot help !

46 minutes ago, WimO said:

You can load the graphic into the free Greenfish Icon Editor and then use the eraser too to make any part transparent.

This is exactly what I am doing and try to show with some pics @WimO 😉 thank you !

Personly, I use paint.net to save it in png for the transparency, but is my choice, dont forget also to created sometimes the normal map, than export in greenfish and save it in bmp. 

We can also do it with photoshop or gimp but sometimes this doens t work for  me !!

So now the us army havent bayonette in my game !!

YYFvNux.png

select and delete the part in transparent and save it via this program in bmp.

the picture in your folder will appear like this in black color !! 

OricNUu.png

but in the game like this !!

cuQQ9fj.png

because the transparent is black !!

Hope now is clear enough !! ?? 

@WimO  perhaps some added useful infos ??

Edited by JM Stuff

4 hours ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Thanks, it's working but is not looking like I expected.

Ahem ! "happy that you discover the real aspect in the game" when in your drawing tools (Photoshop or gimp or whatever) appear in another view.,you beging to pull out your hair and when you will touch a day to blender you will discover that CM is bewitched...

Tell me eventual what you want to do, perhaps I can help you ?

4 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Nice work JM.  Are you sure that's their bayonet 🫣?

Hola Tim I yes I know, because I made a test after in the game, and this appear correctly like they have to let theirs bayonets at the armory to let it sharpens ...😆

Here  I took a quick job and take a picture to make a test, to let disappear partially something on a bmp and its works. 

Edited by JM Stuff